Full Range Speaker Photo Gallery

No distortion from the crossover is actually what they say.Looks like an Alpair 10.3. Possibly in a sealed box with EQ. They don't take the recommended step to rebate the driver.

dave

Sealed?
So these openings under the drivers would be just for show?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-06-06 at 1.31.38 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-06-06 at 1.31.38 AM.png
    336.9 KB · Views: 1,653

An attempt at a desktop BL horn??

Btw, that looks like a MA CHR-70.3 not a CHP... and construction material is plywood and MDF.

AFAIK horns and small don't go well together... :) maybe some one can run a sim?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I thought recognizing importance of phase was an interesting point as well as using a metal cone driver. Not sure how well it performs in reality.

We do know that the A10.3 performs really well. This is a smallish box for them thou, and i'd guess MDF.

$220 USD/pr for the drivers, and larger (13-17 litre), a well built plywood box (with a rebate) will likely get more out of them.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I thought these were an exceptional design - must be audiophile, they are $360!

Those are just strange. A too short, zigzag (expanding/contracting/expanding) line. Either there is a new version of the CHP (no gen 3 here, althou i know they exist in the lab) or as zia suggests a CHR. Kinda pricey either way.

dave

That is more than interesting. Is this for a PA application? How do they sound?

Sound is loud, clear, fast, and very impressive.
The solid deep bass, with regard to the speakers of small diameter, precision and clean mid range, but I will do some for the frequency spectrum above 10kHz and have something to add to the linearization of the entire spectrum.
There's no any indication of micro/macro "reverb"-effect sound, and box is not critical of position to place in the room and the distance from the wall.
I have a small peak at the 800Hz feature (which must be solved by using an additional filter), and the continued decline of ~ 3-4dB / oct. above 10kHz (I'll add some super tweeter correction).
I left the possibility to combine different speakers connecting and get a different nominal impedance of the box (6, 24 and 96 Ohms) for connection to the OTL tube-amplifier (with an additional small transformer that will adapt the impedance of the future super-tweeter).