Full Range Speaker Photo Gallery

Dear crisb,
Probably you are right, I will try to answer you figuratively:
I am a Mercedes fan owning 20 years old E-classe which I enjoy a lot. It drives me to point A to point B with no issues at all. The 2014 Ferrari will do the same and it's price is somewhere between 200-300 times the price of mine oldy. What is the point to have one of the best cars in the world when you still can travel by foot?

This would be a Nik's baby amp
Josh_Stippich2.jpg

actually, Josh Stippich -VSAC2003 (like an idiot, I offered to help Josh and Terry Cain's crew load out this system after the show)

then the long shot, including speakers - welded steel, and really heavy
electronluvroom.jpg

I remember that when Josh fired up one of those amps, that all three floors on that wing lost power. It took a couple of trys with everything shut off before it was up and running. Afterwards everyone turned on their systems. It's a little hard to see, but on the Left Hand Amplifier has a screwdriver handle sticking out. That screwdriver was actually about 3 feet long and Josh stood as far back as could get when using it to adjust the amplifier!

Best Regards,
TerryO

My latest speakers: Front- and backloaded horn for the Jordan JX92S:

I have not seen a cabinet made of glue-up panels before. I have plenty of experience with glue up panels in furniture and they are structurally sound.

But how do they sound?

From the looks of it the individual boards and glue joints would mitigate the resonance problems of a solid wood panel. But inquiring minds want to know.

Hi bruce,

this is my first massive Fronthorn, so I just can compare them to the normal 4 panel design I know.
I would say, they sound really dead silent.

I can feel no vibration at all on the fronthorn, no matter how loud I turn on the amp, they feel very massive.
Total weight of the enclosure is over 80kg, where the fronthorn makes 12kg out of it.

It's hard for me to describe the sound since my english ist not that good, but a few things impress me whenever I turn them on:

- very "listenable", relaxing sound.
- the instruments and voices are very close, in front of the speakers, but the stage is very wide, wider than the room itself
- they "flood" the room with music, no matter if you are in the sweet spot or directly between them, it's the same kind of sound
- they produce a deep (really deep ), rolling bass, very soft, sometime you just feel some pressure on your eardrum, but can not locate where it's coming from.
- SPL is of course very limited, but it's enough for me

You can listen to them for hours, they prefer male voices and reproduce them very neutral. These are my final speakers.
Even if sometimes I would like to have some more crispy trebles.

This speaker ist outclassing "the wall's" that I've build year ago by far. I love them :)

For me: Best you can get for the budget.

The design of a horn is well outside my capacity. I dumbly follow plans, cut plywood, and nod ignorantly as y'all do the engineering banter. But I have "golden ears" LOL.

Did you use an existing design for your horn or did you design it yourself?

I have long admired the dark art of horns. It was the transformative exposure to Klipschorns and a 3W tube amp that infected me with this obsession nearly 40 years ago. My "horns" have only existed inside square boxes. I don't know if it is my inner woodworker aspirations or an audiophile impulse. But I want to glue up a rough blank for a horn and get a buddy with a CNC to finish the job. I would love to use one of the new Mark Audio Alpair-7P's for the project.

Is there a thread, or a forum, or source for full range wave guide models or horns? (And when exactly does a wave guide become a horn?)

Great work.

IIRC, Mark stated that his designs aren't physically suitable for horn loading. For sure, the various response plots I've seen of his designs makes them poor choices, so at best, BVR 'horn' loading is probably the limit.

A WG has no horn loading, it just narrows up some portion of the driver's pistonic BW to get a flatter power response.

GM

Last edited:
I don't have any building experience with compression drivers and horns other than playing with manufactured horns, so I don't doubt your recollection. And, given the Western Electric system in your signature, you likely know horns.

So if a horn amplifies, whereas a waveguide filters, how much work is the horn, or waveguide, doing in this eye catching system?

Did you use an existing design for your horn or did you design it yourself?
I designed it by myself, using a (single) horn calculation software and produced several prototypes before I started working on the final horn.
Interesting to see how two horn corrolate, and how much the effect of a fronthorn like this was...

I've also build my own CNC last year, and I'm working on CAD since more than 16 years, so the way from calculation to the final design was very easy for me.

But I have "golden ears" LOL.
Priceless! :D

I was infected by a lowther TP1 horn, and a hand made single fet 10 Watts Amp, 20 years ago... since that time I wanted to build a double loded horn by myself. Long time.

But I want to glue up a rough blank for a horn and get a buddy with a CNC to finish the job.
I think I'm too far away to do you a favour... :(