Full Range Speaker Photo Gallery

Sorry Chris! thought you were talking about the power source. The lower RCA is used to connect the internal amp with the other speaker. The two other connectors down the pot knob are the right and left input. There's a typical 9v dc connector placed on one side of the speaker to power the amp which was not shown in the picture. The attached picture shows the dc connector in my karlsonators.

Attachments

• DSC05808.JPG
    DSC05808.JPG
    486 KB · Views: 1,974
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi!! Been a while... This is my latest built. Ikea bowls loaded with a pair of TangBand W4-657D drivers and powered with a TPA3110 chipamp placed inside one of the cabinets. Hope you like them!

Cheers,
Fran

Great work Fran. You may be interested in these Hypercubes - kind of like a sphere in a boxy way - but very good with eliminating internal modes. Here is an example with foam core and a 5in PRV driver.
450928d1417046355-hypercube-loudspeakers-hypercube-5mr450ndy-build-05.png

More info here:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/265053-hypercube-loudspeakers-27.html#post4134697

Plenty of room inside for a class D amp like TPA3116D2.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
They look great xrk971!! Worth giving them a whirl.
Thank you!!

Glad you think they look interesting. Use thin ply - almost like guitar tone wood spruce tops. Making them out of wood will require nice 60deg beveled edges so they fit smoothly together. The OP on that thread used a Dayton RS100 which seems to have good amount of xmax and measured really flat in this box.

So many nice projects here.
Decided to add a picture of my DIY speakers.
The horns were exclusively build for an Etheraudio fullrange driver.
Pih4lCMl.jpg

Hi Alexandro!

Can you tell me what you think about the Etheraudio fullrange driver's sound overall? Have you compared it against other fullrange drivers of similar cost? If so what were the pluses & minuses vs the other fullrange driver(s)?

I'm listening to: Leftoverture by Kansas

Thetubeguy1954 (Tom Scata)

ALTEC LANSING CF404-8A Nessie 6ft height

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hi Makoto!

Tell me what do you think of the sound of those "Nessie" cabinets? I've always been intrigued by their looks, but I've never knew anyone who's even seen a pair, let alone heard them! Do you know where I can obtain the plans?

I'm listening to: Latin Color by Armi Grano

TubeGuy, the TB is better.

When compared side by side on my 18" x 18" baffles, the TB is clearer, more detailed, more extended on top, produces a larger image and is slightly more efficient. If I had to choose just one I'd choose the TB. But I don't have to choose and enjoy the 168z because it has a mellow, midrangy sound that's more laid back with a softer treble. It really needs a tweeter. The TB can sound scary real sometimes depending on the recording. The Fostex can also produce goosebumps but does it less often.

The TB 1808 is the best full range driver I own but that doesn't stop me from enjoying lesser drivers from TB, Fostex, etc. Even the very inexpensive Radio Shack 1197 (I paid $1ea. for several) sounds incredible on open baffle with bass support.

Hi Zilla!

Thanks for the input about the Tang Band 1808 driver. I've heard nothing but good things about the 1808 and the 1772 drivers. I'd really like to hear a pair of the 1808 or 1772 in my Sachikos someday!

I have a very interesting pair of 5" fullrange drivers. In fact they look similar to ---{but definitely aren't}--- the http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/130743-rca-5-inch-military-fullrange-drivers.html which can be seen here: RCA MI-2989 fullrange drivers I was wondering if you know of a simple cabinet that I could try for these? I'm not looking for a sealed cabinet, but a Fonken might be worth attempting. Do you have any suggestions Zilla?

Hi Alexandro!

Can you tell me what you think about the Etheraudio fullrange driver's sound overall? Have you compared it against other fullrange drivers of similar cost? If so what were the pluses & minuses vs the other fullrange driver(s)?

I'm listening to: Leftoverture by Kansas

Dear Tom,
Thank you for your questions and excuse me for the late response.

Though I am not really very experienced in hi-fi systems listening I had the opportunity (or may be the chance) to participate to more then 3000 classical music concerts all around the world.
From this position, my truth is that the Etheraudio's full range driver sound is closest to the live performances I've heard during all those years.

In this regard I did't have the chance neither to make any special measurement of the driver nor to compare it against other speakers. This driver just sounds right. I believe this is the main role of any driver.

Please have in mind that due to some budget constrains I was unable to purchase a finished product from Etheraudio. I bought only the drivers. The engineers from the company were kind enough to provide me with the building plans of the horns and the project was executed by a close friend of mine who is a carpenter.

In case further information is needed please do not hesitate to ask- will try to obtain as much information as I can.

Kind regards.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hi Makoto!

Tell me what do you think of the sound of those "Nessie" cabinets? I've always been intrigued by their looks, but I've never knew anyone who's even seen a pair, let alone heard them! Do you know where I can obtain the plans?

I'm sorry in poor English.
Sound of Nessie is ideal.
The sound without a sense of oppression, similar to the rear open box.
In high-speed bass, and bass that shakes the earth.

Well, I tried almost all of them in BLH, TLs, BR, FLH, two ways also.

I think its best value/quality I can have here (live 3-4 hours from Istvan Varga). Extremely pleased.

For major part of speakers I made with them - you can check several albums on my FB page (see below) and my top "costs and wife no object ))" Flag speakers, link is also below.

For the look of diffusor - its specifically milled paper pulp + some wool for damping.

Last edited: