Full Range Speaker Photo Gallery

I decided to build a simple, compact set of full-range speakers as my first "real" speaker project - I've previously built a subwoofer using the Peerless XLS10 driver and am in the process of re-building the cabinet - will put up another thread when that's complete!

I decided to use the HiVi B3N and Monacor SPX-30M drivers for this build and make the baffles removable to facilitate easier driver swappage in the future - I may well end up buying some Fostex / Fountek drivers to try at some point.

I wanted them to be built solidly and look good, whilst being accessible inside for adjustments and modifications, hence the 'over engineering' with the fixtures and fittings.

I'm very much a woodwork novice but I'm pleased with how they've turned out, and, more importantly, how they sound. Hooked up to my home cinema system using the Onkyo receiver and with the (much-needed) support from my BK Monolith sub (crossed over at 120hz - they don't do much below that!), for what they are, they have an impressively large, room-filling sound and ridiculous levels of clarity, detail and imaging. They're perfect for acoustic music and have very natural tones - I feel that the Monacor drivers have the edge in this regard. With "bigger" music they struggle to fill the lower-mid tones quite as well as larger drivers but the sub steps in and does quite a lot in this regard.

Here's the build gallery: 3" Full Range Speaker Build - Imgur

With Monacor SPX-30M drivers. Baffle finished with acrylic sanding sealer and acrylic gloss lacquer:

bEDqvJb.jpg

cAAHQeD.jpg

C4B0uyI.jpg

gVJUkzZ.jpg

One of each driver/baffle:

GHvtyMZ.jpg

jKajpOA.jpg

With HiVi B3N drivers. Baffle finished with several coats of clear varnish (yeah they're dusty on top already!):

VUQdxPz.jpg

Monacor baffles:

BQ3mGvM.jpg

They started out as computer speakers...

Here is my full range or wide range speakers. Drivers are Tang Band W4-1337SD 4" Titanium. There were my computer speakers, but then I needed a temporary center channel and they filled in and have stayed since. :)

Recently I hooked them up to my main 2 channel setup. I was truly surprised how nice they sounded. Crossed over at 100hz with dual 12" subs filling in the bottom end. Probably a bit too low of a crossover point, but I didnt feel like adjusting for the test. Main speakers are usually Magnepan 3.6R.

attachment.php

Attachments

• CAM00046.jpg
    CAM00046.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 2,815
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

My second pair of Bob Brines MTLT for FE165WK. Built from scrap 18mm MDF (I know, I know).

I believe they sound better than the FE166EN BIBs, they are less directional anyway.

Next project is a base for the SET EL34 a friend built for me.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Cheers, Mack

BMR Line Array...Suspended monoliths!

Decided on Piano Black gloss as the finish.

Its hard to photograph as its a real mirror black, but I can assure you these things have presence in the room, now they are mounted on the wall...
The sound is everything I need.
Working some other versions for home cinema set up.

At the moment got 32 drivers for stereo... going to have close to 60 drivers in the home cinema rig!

Cheers
D.

Attachments

• Samsung 14 Nov 2013 1119.jpg
    Samsung 14 Nov 2013 1119.jpg
    813.5 KB · Views: 437
  • Samsung 14 Nov 2013 1127.jpg
    Samsung 14 Nov 2013 1127.jpg
    583.1 KB · Views: 524
  • Samsung 14 Nov 2013 1114.jpg
    Samsung 14 Nov 2013 1114.jpg
    793.1 KB · Views: 392
"No replacement for displacement" !

HiZman,

At the moment I am pushing the limits of driver Sd Vs wall space!

Building a few on wall or in wall panels with three vertical lines of 12 BMR's mounted edge to edge with non parallel internal walls and angled outside edges ...= 36 BMR's per panel.
The " wall of sound" idea does not come close, this is more like a tidal wave that never stops....So completely immersive it just fills your mind with the music or film score...Fab!

Its also weird when the music is well above 100 dB peaks at the listening position ( 4.4 meters) yet when you examine the drivers close up cant see any cone movement at all...!!

All the best
Derek.

Mack,

Nice MLTL you got there - the corners are done with real wood? What about the supra-baffle? How do they sound? The base for the SET amp also looks to be coming along nicely.

Yes, the front corners are done with solid Tasmanian Oak quarter round. Supra-baffle is Meranti, round-over or crown done with a 4" angle grinder with 60 grit. 12 coats of regular varnish top coated with Cabot's satin poly varnish from a spray can. I don't like shinny.

MDF has many coats of interior water based paint, sanded flat with 320 and waxed with floor wax.

It seems that I can play them louder without them sounding loud. Less bass than the BIBs. The "Sweet spot" is larger. Drivers had about 200 hours of break-in before install.

Cheers, Mack

Yes, the front corners are done with solid Tasmanian Oak quarter round. Supra-baffle is Meranti, round-over or crown done with a 4" angle grinder with 60 grit. 12 coats of regular varnish top coated with Cabot's satin poly varnish from a spray can. I don't like shinny.

MDF has many coats of interior water based paint, sanded flat with 320 and waxed with floor wax.

It seems that I can play them louder without them sounding loud. Less bass than the BIBs. The "Sweet spot" is larger. Drivers had about 200 hours of break-in before install.

Cheers, Mack
What efficiencies are the drivers? Any Xover?

Decided on Piano Black gloss as the finish.

Its hard to photograph as its a real mirror black, but I can assure you these things have presence in the room, now they are mounted on the wall...
The sound is everything I need.
Working some other versions for home cinema set up.

At the moment got 32 drivers for stereo... going to have close to 60 drivers in the home cinema rig!

Cheers
D.

Hi O.A.

First might I ask if you're the guy who built those awesome speakers with the Manger driver on top and I believe an 18" JBL below?

Your speakers sort of remind me of my friend Roger Russell's IDS-25 speakers which used 25 3.5" drivers per channel! But I digress, I hope you'll be telling us a little bit more about your speakers, hummm? While I find the idea of having 32 drivers for stereo ---{I'm assuming you mean 16 drivers per channel}--- the type of driver itself would be quite critical in how the end product sounds, no? So how about sharing which drivers you're using? Inquiring minds want to know!

Thanks!

Thetubeguy1954