full range desktop speaker.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I don't hear any funny noises from the boxes other than one BIB has loose CAT5 strands vibrating.... at least I hope it's the wiring.

The voids I saw in the 18mm Hoop Pine ply were 20-30cm wide. I don't know how bad/good this is.

I think the next boxes I build will be of chipboard with 3x12mm strips of hardwood epoxied outside. Fonkens have cough my eye too, especially the part about them "disappearing".

I haven't even finished my current pair and I'm already thinking about the next ones.... 'might be sorry I discovered this forum.

HYPERTUNE said:
FYI, the FR125 is readily available from Darcher audio in Tas.
I'm planning on building a pair of FR125 based speakers for my PC also.

Yeah, I knew about that, I was originally going to do the miniOnken one (will still do it later as well, just for the hell of it, or as part of a HT or for this computer and move the Fonken's to a more dedicated setup maybe).
I was kinda convinced to go with the Fonken and FE127eN.

So, if ya don't mind my asking.
What are you using as a sound card? I'm kinda stuck on this right now.

Computer sound

I second the outboard usb option. Here and here have some seemingly good ready made options, including the defacto recomendation the Kingrex T20U which includes a USB dac and amp.

I've used a Headroom Bithead to good effect. Plus when you replace it you still have a good portable headphone amp.

If you are comforable with wiring up a few jacks and a switch, I can't recomend the DiyParadise USB Monica enough. Since it's gone in, all my records have just been sitting on the shelf. Now I'm not ready to get rid of my analog rig anytime soon, it's just now I have a digital rig that can keep up now. That's saying something for me.

Attachments

• caseopen.jpg
    caseopen.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 406
Thanks for the links.

However the main reason I decided to go with a sound card is that, i can't seem to find a decent DAC within a price I'd like to pay, and on top of that I also play a few computer games, and not sure if many would be supported.

Later I might make/buy one just for its quality.

Also, how much does that "monica" one usually cost to make?

Thanks.

Another possibility....

....although less build more buy.

http://picasaweb.google.com/peters.address/DesktopSystem

From PC via USB to trends UD-10 with optical out (eliminate PC noise) to SUPER Pro dac to discontinued super-t out to ANS8s in homebrew slot vented reflex + cut price Jamo 200 sub to fill in the base.

Sounds fairly clean and and reasonably precise using EQ on the PC to account for baffle step and rising response on the ANS8.

Works for my background music.

Cheers

Peter

Originally posted by Sh1mmy
...how much does that "monica" one usually cost to make?

Well, That all depends on what parts you have laying around or want to buy plus the cost of a power supply. I used a laptop 18v supply that was about $70usd or so. The board was about $180 shipped I think( I forget the amounts on purpose in case the wife asks ;) ) Add about $15~$20 for jacks, wire, switches, ect and I'm looking at about $270 for the whole deal. It sounds like alot but it was spread out over 6 months or so. The Super Pro 707 USB is only $109. How much were you looking to spend?

Originally posted by Sh1mmy
...I also play a few computer games, and not sure if many would be supported.

I've played DVD's and game emulators through mine and everything has worked fine. I never thought about unsupported audio nor have I heard of any problems. huh. I wonder if anyone here has had issues. Though the digital forum would be a more suitable place for this discussion.

tilroh said:
The Fubar II arrived. Compared to the headphone jack, a USB DAC is a far superior music source. This DAC has raised the quality of my system to a different level.

How are you finding it, now you've listened to it a bit more?

Also, just wondering what peoples thoughts would be on the "Zhaolu D2.5" ( http://www.coemaudio.com.au/Sources/DACs/177/ ).
I could possibly get this and use the Optical input as my motherboard has one.

I would be giving up features that would be handy for me, but the increase in quality and knowing i wouldn't have any compatibility problems would be fine.

I've used an E-mu 0404 PCI card for years now. Was about $60 USD last I looked, which was also quite awhile ago. Fantastic sound quality for the buck. Really great digital EQ and routing via PatchMix software. Maxed out connectivity for a stereo sound card. E-mu makes the DSP chips that Creative uses (Creative actually bought them at some point after the Live series started making them a behemoth in the market), and I haven't found a single game that doesn't work seamlessly with it, though in stereo only, of course. I've not heard another sound card I liked better for less than probably $300, and I've not heard any USB DACs I like better, period, though the units I've heard have been few and none have cost more than maybe $200.

Just another option to think of.

Kensai

Thanks for the reply.

I have been having some trouble trying to decide which way to go.

If I was to go the consumer-grade sound card, it would definately be the Asus D2/X.

If I was to go with a higher grade card there a couple of Emu and M-audio cards I've looked at, and liked.

If I was to go with a DAC, it would only be a digital (optical/coax) one only, I don't really like the idea of a USB DAC, as I think it may either be more trouble than what its worth (for what I do).

If I remember rightly, the 0404 was actually one of the cards I considered.

I still haven't decided, and still unsure as to which way to go.

Originally posted by tilroh
The Fubar II arrived. Compared to the headphone jack, a USB DAC is a far superior music source. This DAC has raised the quality of my system to a different level.

How are you finding it, now you've listened to it a bit more?

I noticed big differences the first day but the improvements disappeared the next day, or I got used to them real quick or I had been imagining the improvements. I'll do some A-B test and find out.

FE166e BIBs w/Phase Plugs & PVAed, Trends Audio 10.1 modded, Fubar II stock, iTunes, Apple Lossless

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.