Frugel-Horn Mk3

Yup - I've personally built XLs for A10.3, maybe 10P?, Pluvia11 and for that matter FF165WK. Of that cohort, I much prefer the 10.3, for my money they don't suffer from comparison to the A12P Super Pensils.

Thanks Chris! Do you feel they are more refined (with the 10.3) than the Super Pensils, specifically the ones with the original Alpair12? When I'm just listening to music its usually jazz, classic rock (not generally at loud levels), Dave Matthews, folk, African ... all those types of music. Generally no electronic or pop/rap/etc.

IINM, the original A12 was actually a metal cone, which I can't recall hearing in enclosures other than a trapezoid stand mounter? - Dave can correct my recollection there - but as to what I think your question is, I simply prefer the overall sonics of the A10.3 to A12P . The former I've heard in numerous enclosures, the latter in the SuperPensils, and maybe one other?

While the FHXL delivers "the best" performance I've personally heard from the A10.3, I don't have the requisite floor space for them, and am actually presently using running a pair in Pensils.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Maybe I missed it, but were any XL's built with the larger Mark Audio drivers? I was kicking around the idea of doing the Pluvia Eleven or Alpair 10.3. I had the Alpair 12 before in SuperPensil's and REALLY liked them but have since sold them off to a local tube head that wanted to try them out. I thought the slightly smaller Pluvia or 10.3 might give a little better refinement up top without sacrificing too much on the bottom end VS the 12's in the SuperPensils.

Many FHXL have been built with A10.3, A10p, P11, FF165wk and more. The A10x do give better refinement, and in FHXL go lower than A12p, and with the horn load should get close to moving as much air.

dave

IINM, the original A12 was actually a metal cone, which I can't recall hearing in enclosures other than a trapezoid stand mounter? - Dave can correct my recollection there - but as to what I think your question is, I simply prefer the overall sonics of the A10.3 to A12P . The former I've heard in numerous enclosures, the latter in the SuperPensils, and maybe one other?

While the FHXL delivers "the best" performance I've personally heard from the A10.3, I don't have the requisite floor space for them, and am actually presently using running a pair in Pensils.

Many FHXL have been built with A10.3, A10p, P11, FF165wk and more. The A10x do give better refinement, and in FHXL go lower than A12p, and with the horn load should get close to moving as much air.

dave

This is exactly what I was looking for, better refinement in the 10.3 while still having good bass response close to or better than the SuperPensil12's. These will have to pull double duty as my SuperPensil12's did for both 2-Channel and light home theater. My daughter goes off to college in a year and I'm turning the basement back into a dedicated theater at that point and the FHXL would be primarily 2-channel with light TV use as well. I would probably do a dedicated center channel to match them as well. The Mar-Ken12 Centre we did to match the SuperPensil's was good although a tad boxy sounding which could have been the stuffing I did, I never adjusted it once the driver was installed...

Scott

skeeter99,

Good to see you back at the forums. :)

You might read up on the new Alpair 11MS driver - not available yet, but should be some time in the next few moths. Slightly bigger than the Alpair 10.3, spider-less design, shallow cone. IIRC Dave mentioned that it will work in the FH-XL cabinet also.

Yeah, I thought I remembered those - for my money the A7's more finely grained resolution and extended high frequency performance were an easy trade off to make . While no doubt competent enough larger designs for the A12, at the time I was more infatuated with the smaller driver, and am frankly still of the same opinion vis a vis of the new A12P .Now the A12PW mid-woofer is a great piece, but a bit pricey - but what am I saying - it's been years since I paid for a driver with other than sweat equity.

skeeter99,

Good to see you back at the forums. :)

You might read up on the new Alpair 11MS driver - not available yet, but should be some time in the next few moths. Slightly bigger than the Alpair 10.3, spider-less design, shallow cone. IIRC Dave mentioned that it will work in the FH-XL cabinet also.

Thanks! I just picked up a table saw so figured I should get back into things after a few year hiatus :D

I saw mention of those drivers and pulled up the YouTube video of Mark talking about them but I haven't been able to watch it QUITE yet! Without having a spider I'd be a bit worried about power handling capabilities VS the 10.3. While I don't crank it SUPER loud all the time, I do like it loud from time to time ... Stuff to think about and consider for sure!

Scott

Fostex to Alpair conversion follow-up

Fair enough. Actually there’s probably no objectively definable acoustic reason why they’d need to extend past the stock width of 170mm - “we” just thought it might just add an extra aesthetic fillip to the look. The parts on hand are already machined for A7.3 rebate, beveled on rear side of opening, and pilot holes drilled and pre-tapped for the MA supplied mounting screws - they could easily be trimmed to standard width, in less time than it takes to read this post.

In the meantime, I received the Alpair drivers from Dave and hd some time this morning to switch things around.
Pretty happy with how it’s turned out. My initial listening impressions:
- shouty mids are gone
- much warmer sound overall
- improved low end
- not as loud with my SE tube amp, but still plenty
- a little reduced soundstage/airy-ness (all technica terms)

More listening needed. I may try my KT-66 amp and see what happens, too.
Cheers!!!

Attachments

• D37DAB52-E662-4DD7-ACFF-D733D76F1F93.jpg
    D37DAB52-E662-4DD7-ACFF-D733D76F1F93.jpg
    546.7 KB · Views: 679
  • B3F54258-0EC2-4A0A-AB57-9DFB5A63231E.jpg
    B3F54258-0EC2-4A0A-AB57-9DFB5A63231E.jpg
    559.3 KB · Views: 671
Hi
I'm looking vor a small blh for my office.
I really like the 3fe25 for it's dynamic and rather neutral charakter
and especially because it's not as beamy as 95 % of the
Fullrangers out there.
My question is, would it work well in the frugle horn and has anybuddy
ever tried a crossoverless double driver configuration?
My gutt feeling say's it might work well, but I'm not sure what size of
the different frugle versions might work best?
Any thougts or objections are welcome.

Klaus