Frugel-Horn Mk3 Builds & Build Questions

Joined 2021
Paid Member
Hello,
just for fun (hmmpff... not really), a comparison... the big bags were in the front chambers vs. required amounts... :eek:
Istvan

Attachments

• PSX_20210916_155015.jpg
    PSX_20210916_155015.jpg
    903.9 KB · Views: 294
Thank you, Chris!
The chamfering seems now to be a requirement... so now I have a lot to do :D but as I wrote, my first diy-speaker ever.
What was the reason of the short relationship with the MS?

Istvan

It was basically a short term listening session at home to compare a prototype build of Scott’s MLTL design for 11MS to my daily drivers (A10.3 Pensil). That was approx 3 yrs ago, and as best as I can recall, it wasn’t a night and day difference.

I had already slimmed down my stable of speakers to only those in active use - much harder than it sounds when you have emotional attached and blood, sweat, tears and treasure invested in the builds.

I’ve since retired from active building; if circumstances permitted, I’d love to play with most recent MA drivers as well as others; but after 50yrs my audioFOMO has slowly evaporated like a mid September morning dew.

Joined 2021
Paid Member
Thank you, Chris, "it wasn’t a night and day" is a good info for me.
The Pluvia 7HD Gen2 are now here, so I could start with the reassembly. Concerning the wiring, I took van den Hul speaker cable, and this is not a thin one, about 12 gauge. Is it okay or should I replace it?

Thank you, Chris, "it wasn’t a night and day" is a good info for me.
The Pluvia 7HD Gen2 are now here, so I could start with the reassembly. Concerning the wiring, I took van den Hul speaker cable, and this is not a thin one, about 12 gauge. Is it okay or should I replace it?

AFAIC, the biggest issue with speaker wire of that gauge is terminating / connecting to drivers’ terminal tabs. I always prefer solder to crimps, and never used heavier than #18 on any of the MAs, but that’s just me, and I don’t wanna open that can of worms.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Yes, as Nelson Pass documented series resistance feeding a full range driver tends to take it in a good direction.

Not that the amount of resistance isn't important, but comparing this with having a crossover in the lower treble which may put emphasis in a place where it is unwanted.

Joined 2021
Paid Member
Hello again,
15 hours of break-in of the P7.2HD and counting...
But yesterday I had to make some light modification. Contrary to the assumption the size of the Alpair 7MS and of the P7.2HD is very slightly different. The difference is 0.3 mm (0.0118 in), the P7.2HD is bigger. My cutout for the Alpair was very exact and I noticed the problem only yesterday - the P7.2HD could not be sunk in the cutout. I slightly opened up the cutout with my Proxxon mini grinding tool, just one full turn in the cutout, and now the driver can sit properly in it. I tightened the screws only very slightly as Dave wrote, and then I turned the system on... and here is it: the harshness is back, it is slightly shrill again in the higher mids :no:
I of course applied the rubber sealing under the driver into the cutout, but I read somewhere, that it shouldn't be used necessarily. What is the truth? Until the driver wasn’t in the cutout fully, it wasn't shrill. And now it is, to some extent :confused: I hope the next 85 hours would help to improve the driver.

Joined 2021
Paid Member
Jeff, the screws are tightened very slightly. But tomorrow I will loosen them up further (now it is bed-time here). The problem is that the screws must be turned into the ply which has a good portion of mechanical resistance, so I don't know where is the point where a screw begins to press the gasket.