Frugel-Horn Mk3 Builds & Build Questions

Joined 2021
Paid Member
Hello,
I am new to the forum (please see my introduction), not so new to diy-projects, but 3 days ago I have finished my first speaker project, the Frugal Horn MkIII:)
I mean... I am about to finish it. The cabinets are completed, the Alpair 7MS are mounted and broken in for 20 hours.
Yesterday the first hearing session - well, there are many many things what I really liked :) These are the very open and natural sound and the great stage, among others.
But there are also some issues...
First issue was the missing bass, but I solved it with removing of some stuffing from the front chamber - it is great that I can tune the amount of bass, depending on my room, the driver, the electronics, the color of my t-shirt... :D
So the bass is now here (maybe I should remove some more), but the main issue is the higher mid section, it is just shrill, or as one member wrote here, it screams. With lower volumes it is "okay", but with increasing the volume it will be somehow disturbing.
I tried to search for information, but there are so many pages and obviously I did'nt found the right one :)
So could you help me please with some hints? Thanks a lot in advance!
I upload some pictures too.

Best regards
Istvan

Attachments

• PSX_20210912_211130.jpg
    PSX_20210912_211130.jpg
    350.1 KB · Views: 359
  • PSX_20210912_211152.jpg
    PSX_20210912_211152.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 358
  • PSX_20210912_211227.jpg
    PSX_20210912_211227.jpg
    406 KB · Views: 353
Hi Istvan,

Thank you for sharing your experience with the Frugel Horn with MA Alpair 7ms. I’m planning to build the Frugel Horn myself, but I’m not sure I want to use the 7ms. Your experience confirms what I’ve read about these. I think the Alpair 7ms needs some filtering to tame the higher mids. The older Alpair 7.3 seemed to do well without any kind of filter, which is what I’m after. Perhaps the current Pluvia 7HD is better if you want to go filterless. Your post is a few days old but I hope you’ll still get some replies on your question about how to get the Alpair 7ms to sound right; I’d be really keen to find out as well. Nice photos!
Best regards, Alex

Joined 2021
Paid Member
Hi Alex,
thank you for the reply, I am glad that you like the pictures.
Yes, I think too that some filtering would help - but instead I ordered a pair of Pluvia :) they should arrive tomorrow or so and I can give them a try. In the meantime I also had some support from Stefan at KJF Audio concerning the stuffing, so let see how it goes further.
I wish you success with your build.
Best regards
Istvan

Joined 2021
Paid Member
Thank you Dave and Scottmoose, much appreciated.
The stuffing is really bad... since then I removed a good portion and the bass came back.
In the next step I will try to remove all the stuffing from the front chamber, tease it and then put back 40 gramms. The rear chamber is tricky...
There are many pictures where the cut-out for the driver is chamfered "because the drive must breathe" - is it a "must do"?
Thank you in advance.
Best regards
Istvan

While I never lived with any of the “ms” series for more than a few days, I’d suspect them to be more susceptible to less than optimal performance with either excessive damping near drivers, or lack of sufficient chamfering / relief on rear of mounting hole; which I’d say is definitely required on the 7 and 5 cm sized drivers - perhaps less so on the larger models.
Nice work in the folded bevel joinery.

Last edited: