Frugel-Horn Mk3 Builds & Build Questions

Recycled Blue jeans stuff is problematic to readily source.
Some like Henry Kloss.. report that it pumps lint into the room ...forever.. making it more trouble than it's worth.. especially where Warantees need observing.
Carpet and or automobile underfelt is fairly easily available, for very little coin.. sometimes ersatz substitutes are just too good to pass up, despite their slight inferiority perceptions.

Recycled Blue jeans stuff is problematic to readily source.
unfortunately we're certainly finding that to be the case, and may yet need to find an acceptable replacement, but for now we've found source (in Vancouver, no less:D) sufficient for our requirements.

Some like Henry Kloss.. report that it pumps lint into the room ...forever.. making it more trouble than it's worth.. especially where Warantees need observing.
Yes, if you're separating the 2" batts you'll get some loose dusty fibres, but I've been using both that and the 1/2" bonded back Ultratouch for several years now, and haven't seen or felt lint pumping out.

Out of curiosity, where/when did HK report such findings?

Carpet and or automobile underfelt is fairly easily available, for very little coin.. sometimes ersatz substitutes are just too good to pass up, despite their slight inferiority perceptions.
true enough, although "perceptions" suggests that you think material differences couldn't make a difference?

Well I do remember the styrofoam packing peanuts recommended by John Wychoff ( sp?) reputedly* being spit out of ports on the Hammer Super12s, so maybe under the right circumstances that might be a positive number

*as with the Henry Kloss attribution, once you remember reading it on the internets somewhere, it must be a fact - sometimes even true :rolleyes:

Thanks for advice with car undercarpet. Found the damn thing in a car recycling center. One of the best ideas. The thing is discusting, though! :)
Would be nice to figgure out a way to clean it. Will experiment and report back.

I pulled up the carpet in several Fords before I found a decent donor.

In hindsight a 90's Mustang trunk may be a cleaner source for underlayment.

The horns are made, last panels glued together and curing under a lot of pressure:)
I cleaned the underlayment only by soaking it in bleach and alowing to dry. That's it. Hope I killed all those poor little creatures that might have lived in it:p

Any my hopefully last noob question, since I mount the drivers tomorrow, what is the purpose of foam rubber rings I got with my drivers? To cancel some vibrations or to seal the enclosure even better? Should I use them?

I would like to report that the horns just started playing.
The things are unbeleivably accurate!!:D
Never heard my music like this before.
The only thing that I have yet to do is find myself a bigger amp (or more sensitive drivers).
The topping tp20 with 13W@8Ohm is going to have to find a new home when I move to a bigger appartment in the fall...

Guys, again, thank you all!! Pour yourself a glass and pretend it is on me.:D

But so good, already!:D
Regarding loudness, I don't think it improves with break-in, does it?:p
Plus, I try to listen on low volume, because the amp and the drivers are all new.

no, I wouldn't expect loudness (sensitivity) to improve (increase) noticeably after full break-in - take care to follow Mark's recommendations - but I think you can look forward to bass extension and dynamic "punch", midrange resolution and soundstage depth to open up

of course, now that you've been told what to expect, you'll probably hear it ;)