Frugel-Horn Mk3 Builds & Build Questions

2 things:

- I assume the fibre fill "above" the driver location (i.e. from slightly below where the wires feed to the driver and in the rear tapered section of line) is left out for purposes of clarity of the photo

- I've never built FH3 without the 1/2" Ultratouch, and the panel padding shown looks to be a bit light for the job

Don't forget that once the second side panel is securely attached, it's virtually impossible to access the inside for adjustment of the side walls and rear section.
@chrisb
- The fibre fill is removed for the shooting:)
- Light as too thin or light as wrong material? I can always put on another layer, I guess.

What about putting corner wedgies of that product where she turns the 180º?

@Cal, I don't know what you mean, but have a feeling this was for me?

@chrisb
- The fibre fill is removed for the shooting:)
- Light as too thin or light as wrong material? I can always put on another layer, I guess.

I'm thinking both, actually - but to be honest I don't know if anyone has conducted a thorough study of efficacy of the numerous types of fill / panel lagging used worldwide by builders of this particular design.

edit: revisiting your posted photo - what exactly is the material you've used? I looks similar to dense self adhesive felt material sold hereabouts as furniture protector pads (Felt-tack etc) - in small sheets an circles. I hate spikes myself, and use it a lot on bottom of floor standing enclosures sitting on hardwood or vinyl floors. If that's the case, I'm not sure any number of layers would have quite the appropriate absorptive qualities?

Last edited:
I'm thinking both, actually - but to be honest I don't know if anyone has conducted a thorough study of efficacy of the numerous types of fill / panel lagging used worldwide by builders of this particular design.

edit: revisiting your posted photo - what exactly is the material you've used? I looks similar to dense self adhesive felt material sold hereabouts as furniture protector pads (Felt-tack etc) - in small sheets an circles. I hate spikes myself, and use it a lot on bottom of floor standing enclosures sitting on hardwood or vinyl floors. If that's the case, I'm not sure any number of layers would have quite the appropriate absorptive qualities?

It is polyester felt. Looks like those rounded pads for chair legs, but is actually a lot softer. 3 layers of it add up to 1/2".

It is impossible to find this kind of cotton felt you guys use. So a question: are there any alternative good damping materials i can find in regular hardware stores or something like that? Some kind of foam maybe?
The damping material problem has put my project to a halt, and I'm becoming sad.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
It is impossible to find this kind of cotton felt you guys use. So a question: are there any alternative good damping materials i can find in regular hardware stores or something like that? Some kind of foam maybe?
The damping material problem has put my project to a halt, and I'm becoming sad.

2" fiberglass insulation. Should be able to find that just about anywhere, and it works.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
In the FH3 the cotton or wool felt is intended to add more significant absorbtion to reduce early reflections from near the driver. It does not have a big impact on the LF response. One could try without it at al, with the likelihood of a bit more driver bleed-trhu.

Low desnsity 2" fiberglass will not fill the same role. One might be able to use it as a sub for the polyfluff thou.

Rockwool might work if you could get it thin enuff.

dave

Joined 2011
Paid Member
In the FH3 the cotton or wool felt is intended to add more significant absorbtion to reduce early reflections from near the driver. It does not have a big impact on the LF response. One could try without it at al, with the likelihood of a bit more driver bleed-trhu.

Low desnsity 2" fiberglass will not fill the same role. One might be able to use it as a sub for the polyfluff thou.

Rockwool might work if you could get it thin enuff.

dave

When I need more density from fiberglass, I just use more staples. ;)

If there is an automobile upholstery supplier in your vicinity, try them for a felt like padding typically used in the trunk as padding/sound absorbing material. I think you will find it a suitable substitute.

John

Endless supply from your local junkyard and in my case it was free.

I found the best stuff from the carpet backing of 90's Ford trucks.