from the net

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
audioDIYer said:

How will you screw them?
Even if they are UNDER the board, you'll need access them.
Ok, you are going to tell me 'I screw them from heatsink side'...
I answer: Where will you put the bolt?...

OK!

I will put the screw like this!

Attachments

• fet_and _screw.jpg
    fet_and _screw.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 491
audioDIYer said:

HEXFET... excellent for SMPS... not as good for audio

I disagree. IMHO, hexfets can be used for audio output stages providing the proper driving circuitry is employed. This includes, but not limited to an error amplifier and extra drive voltage for the gate because of the larger Vgs threshold. They really do make the best output devices if you can 'linearize' them, BUT this require more circuit complexity in order to neutralize their downfalls. Considering SOAR compared to like sized BJT's, well, there is no comparison. :smash: Considering effective Ft, once again no comparison. :smash:

Most people don't want to deal with the extra circuitry and BJT's are much simpler in that matter. But, then there are those who simply slap in a set of hexfets in place of ordinary transistors in an amplifier, then complain that they produce lots of distortion and don't sound very good. This is not a reason to discount hexfets from audio, just a reason to learn how to use them right.:)

netuddki said:
hi!

hexfets are 1-2 euros
lateral mosfets are 10-15 euros:( :( :(
That's the cost of better sound.

CBS240 said:

I disagree. IMHO, hexfets can be used for audio output stages providing the proper driving circuitry is employed. This includes, but not limited to an error amplifier and extra drive voltage for the gate because of the larger Vgs threshold. They really do make the best output devices if you can 'linearize' them, BUT this require more circuit complexity in order to neutralize their downfalls. Considering SOAR compared to like sized BJT's, well, there is no comparison. :smash: Considering effective Ft, once again no comparison. :smash:

Most people don't want to deal with the extra circuitry and BJT's are much simpler in that matter. But, then there are those who simply slap in a set of hexfets in place of ordinary transistors in an amplifier, then complain that they produce lots of distortion and don't sound very good. This is not a reason to discount hexfets from audio, just a reason to learn how to use them right.:)
True.
Still, for the simplicity, L-Fets cost can be inferior of extra components to put HEXfets workins as L-Fets.
Please, consider this as my personal taste/experience.

(edited to correct some typos)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.