freeDSP - an open source 2-in 4-out digital crossover board

This is the Free DSP schematic.

Attachments

• Freee DSP schematic.JPG
    Freee DSP schematic.JPG
    127.3 KB · Views: 924
I'm interested on trying freeDSP board even if I do not know the exact differences with respect the other boards (miniDSP, HifiBerry DSP, Analog Device development board) and nobody has answered to my previous post.
The getting started guide of freeDSP affirms that the are freeDSP DIY kits with preassembled DSP while in the website of the project they are not available. For me it is the only solutions since I have limited soldering ability.
Do you know if and when the will be available again?
Thank you

Nice

This is exactly the project I have been looking for. My stumbling block is the SMD soldering. I'm hoping there will be a group buy for a board with SMDs already soldered on. I know sunstone circuits here in the US has a partner company that will place and solder devices. Anyway, I inquired over at the FreeDSP site and let them know that I am interested in being of assistance in any way.
David

Hi erotavlas,
since I wasn't able to locate hifiberry minidsp schematics, I can't comment on differences. From what I know, you can program freeDSP from arduino, or from RPi - via I2C bus. By program I mean copy your DSP settings to MiniDSP EEPROM. Since you design filters in SigmaStudio, you need windows computer to run SigmaStudio. Then you can upload your design to freeDSP via RPi.

Regarding soldering, I've received my board with SMD parts soldered, but SMD soldering is not that complicated, give it a try on some spare board.

The arduino needed to program the FreeDSP is a $10 part. And the Analog devices USBi looks to have some "alternative"s out there by now.

The Sigma Studio dsp front end is very nice to use and makes setting these critters up a piece of cake. People are doing very complicated systems with that front end - check out the SS user forums.

After getting frustrated with elektors notifications and shipping methods I ordered pcbs and parts to knock out quite a few of these freeDSP boards. I have some projects but i'm bound to have extras. I'll likely print up a simple enclosure for some of them.

I'll keep you all posted as I progress.

Mouser Cross Reference Parts List - In Process

I'm working on a cross reference parts list for Mouser at Mouser.com. It's almost complete. I've attached it in it's current form and will update as I continue on it. Feel free to use it, but please keep in mind that I just based it on my rudimentary understanding of the parts needed. If you see something incorrect, please feel free to let us know. Also, I'm going to be providing alternate parts for connectors as I plan on putting this in an enclosure so some of the connectors will be chassis mount instead of board mount.

Attachments

• PartsList_CrossReference.pdf
    52.9 KB · Views: 137
Power Supply

If anyone is interested, I will be making a power supply for this board based on the LM317. It will be an adjustable voltage power supply. I will be making my own PCB since it's simple enough for a home brew, but is there is interest, maybe we could do a group buy on the Power Supply board.

Thank you, I'll keep that in mind. I'll probably get something like that for testing and then when I finalize the enclosure do something more built in for that. Is there anything specific in a wall wart to look for other than voltage and current capacity?

Nope. Pretty much anything that puts out 9v DC. The board draws very little current.

self boot & pcbs

Hey,

if you take a look at the data sheet of ADAU1701, this is definitely possible, control the whole DSP via i2c.

But when you take a look at the schematic, the freeDSP is wired to be in "self boot"-mode, so it will always load it's program from the EEPROM on startup.

I'm not Sure if you can still control it via i2c afterwards, didn't try it yet :)

best regards

Ludwig & Sebastian

ps: we still have some bare PCBs, remaining from our last order, if anyone is interested. (Only PCB, no other parts, nothing soldered)

For upcoming order-runs please subscribe to our newsletter ;-)

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hey,

if you take a look at the data sheet of ADAU1701, this is definitely possible, control the whole DSP via i2c.

But when you take a look at the schematic, the freeDSP is wired to be in "self boot"-mode, so it will always load it's program from the EEPROM on startup.

I'm not Sure if you can still control it via i2c afterwards, didn't try it yet :)

best regards

Ludwig & Sebastian

ps: we still have some bare PCBs, remaining from our last order, if anyone is interested. (Only PCB, no other parts, nothing soldered)

For upcoming order-runs please subscribe to our newsletter ;-)

PCB prices?