FOUR Dayton 15DVCs and 700 watts....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Bogie said:
Yawn. I think that the main reason the pro amp sounds better than the plate amp is just sheer headroom.

The SU-8099 is not a pro amp. It's an old top-of-the-line Technics from 1979 when Technics still made good equipment. Heck, the darn thing weighs nearly 60 lbs.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Guys, your subwoofer is not an extension of your penis. Besides, mine are bigger.

LOL! :clown:

There's a big difference between the old big iron, and the new "digital ready" stuff... If you have an amp that's allegedly rated at 100 watts x 7 channels, and it uses a peak of four amps, someone's lying.

The old Technics are okay, but I've got a friend who has one of the monster Pioneer silver face receivers, and you can weld with it. My Marantz 2230 will do 35 watts/channel cleanly, and it'll do it all day long. It also weighs a bunch.

You obviously got a defective amplifier, but need to bash the company on every forum you write on.

I've used the Rythmik amplifier you talk about and the result was outstanding. It's playing at outrageously loud levels everyday for more than a year and it's going well.

I'm sure if you send that amplifier to Rythmik, they will fix it. If you don't want it anymore, send it to me or someone else who will get it fixed and have fun with a good plate amplifier like that.

The proper way to test an amplifier.

Turn up the gain.

Take both leads, insert in mouth.

Flip da switch.

A friend actually did this, albeit with a Hafler DH-225 that had a bad mono/stereo switch (discovered that the switch was bad by wiggling it, and then getting off the floor).

simon5 said:
You obviously got a defective amplifier, but need to bash the company on every forum you write on.

I've used the Rythmik amplifier you talk about and the result was outstanding. It's playing at outrageously loud levels everyday for more than a year and it's going well.

I'm sure if you send that amplifier to Rythmik, they will fix it. If you don't want it anymore, send it to me or someone else who will get it fixed and have fun with a good plate amplifier like that.

It's apparent that I got a defective amp, no doubt about it. And yes, maybe I'm wrong to keep saying that they're junk, but the improvement in sound quality is very obvious when I switched over to the Technics.

So yes, I'm sorry for saying that Rythmik is junk.

-clue bat mode on-

You know, normally if I buy something, and it either doesn't look like the picture on the box, doesn't taste anything like chicken, or doesn't make my speakers make the right noises, I send it back with a polite note saying that something obviously isn't right, and then they send me something that -is- right.

From this end, it is looking like you're getting far more enjoyment of the fact that it didn't work to your expectations than you EVER got from something that did. Reminds me of when I was working retail... Customer got a faulty item. Told me about it at length. I offered to replace it. Nope, that wouldn't work either. What would work? I'm not really sure, but it more or less involved me standing there listening to 'em rant for about 20 minutes until the department's manager showed up and suggested that they had two choices. Bring it in, and leave, or keep it at home, and leave.

Now to go plug the 2nd 240 watter into the second upstairs maggie stand...

Bogie said:
-clue bat mode on-

You know, normally if I buy something, and it either doesn't look like the picture on the box, doesn't taste anything like chicken, or doesn't make my speakers make the right noises, I send it back with a polite note saying that something obviously isn't right, and then they send me something that -is- right.

From this end, it is looking like you're getting far more enjoyment of the fact that it didn't work to your expectations than you EVER got from something that did. Reminds me of when I was working retail... Customer got a faulty item. Told me about it at length. I offered to replace it. Nope, that wouldn't work either. What would work? I'm not really sure, but it more or less involved me standing there listening to 'em rant for about 20 minutes until the department's manager showed up and suggested that they had two choices. Bring it in, and leave, or keep it at home, and leave.

Now to go plug the 2nd 240 watter into the second upstairs maggie stand...

That's not the case at all. I had that Rythmik amp running that sub for a couple years before it started giving me problems. And since I bought that sub and amp at the same time and NEVER powered the sub with anything else but that amp, I had no idea if the amp and sub were providing the best possible performance or not.

It was only into the beginning of the third year that the amp starting buzzing, and that buzzing kept getting louder and louder. Shortly after, I sent an email to Rythmik and never got a reply back. At that point the buzzing got so bad that I just stopped using it and bought an SVS PB12-ISD/2 sub. I had that for a while and decided to sell it. I then tried using my old sub again, but the Rythmik amp never powered back up after sitting for about 6 months.

The driver is still in great shape, hence the reason why I decided to use the Technics amp on the sub just for a while until I get the other amp and subs built. That's when I discovered that the Technics amp on the Dayton sub sounded much better than the Rythmik/Dayton combo ever did.

So it isn't like you say... That I bought the amp and didn't like it right from the beginning. That's not the case at all. In fact, I was rather happy with it. The only REAL complaint I ever had with that amp was that it got so darn hot you could fry eggs on it, but I guess that's normal since I have heard that from others as well.

Well, to me it's sounding like he ran it for a while, and it ran hot, and eventually got terminally toasty... I wonder what the actual load was on it... I've only thrown an amp into shutdown once (The Who's Quadrophenia DVD that came out last year), and the amp that threw in the towel was my center channel. I'm guessing that speaker really isn't an 8 ohm speaker (MTM? Hmmm....) like the specs say... I have added a fan in the closet tho...

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Bogie said:
Well, to me it's sounding like he ran it for a while, and it ran hot, and eventually got terminally toasty... I wonder what the actual load was on it... I've only thrown an amp into shutdown once (The Who's Quadrophenia DVD that came out last year), and the amp that threw in the towel was my center channel. I'm guessing that speaker really isn't an 8 ohm speaker (MTM? Hmmm....) like the specs say... I have added a fan in the closet tho...

Running low imp. loads with most panel amps isn't a great idea but even the most basic panels have protection circuity for operation that exceeds original parameters.

And this isn't really directed at anybody in particular:

Whats the power supply like in the Rythmik's? The two budget panel amps that I've tried here in the UK were both undersized. For bass you really do need a great PS. There's no doubting that 'value for money' is a great thing though but a decent PS isn't entirely associated with 'budget'. And lets not forgot that nearly always something 'better'.

I also highly doubt that the Rythmik are junk but chops already said that was wrong.

Can't see what the problem is. Guy has Rythmik panel for 3 years, he's happy with it but then it develops problems and dies. He revisits the project and discovers new found performance by swapping out just the amp. I read stuff similar to this all the time on here and nobody reacts the way AJ did. You need to get thicker skin m8, I take pride in owning various brands of kit but I wouldn't take to insulting someone else over such a trivial word as 'junk' and especially when you consider the history that chops had with the Rythmik panel (he was happy remember), he just found something better that's all. You should be happy for him if anything.

first of all, your all nuts, except for chops. leave the guy alone its his thread and your not helping his questions in any way, plus your making a fool out of yourselves in the mean time and drivin chops right up the wall

ok chops, i own a dvc, my friend owns 2 of them and i've seen it in many boxes

3.5 cubic feet sealed sounds pretty good

i tried it at 3.5 cubic feet ported, and that sounded alright but it just dind't unfold the sub like it could have, so i sold it to one of my car audio customers and its a perfect allignment for car audio,. BTW it was tuned to 35 hertz with two 4 inch prots, stricly for music, althougt it had impressive subsonic outputs wheni tried it in home theatre.

now my buddy, he has two of theese drivesrs in 10 cubic foot sonotubes tunes to 12 hertz, sounds amazing with musci and everything extreme spl and virtually seamless.

i think putting them in sonotubes is the solution to your space problem, 100%

Linkletter.

i dont want to hear onesingle word out of you dummy's mouths, you know who you are

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
AJinFLA said:
Shin, did you actually read this thread before posting? It might help.

No, he posted two completely opposite opinions.

Engage your brain for a minute Shin, which one is it??

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&userid=12664

What would you call that Shin? Brain engaged yet?

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=649114#post649114
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=740341#post740341
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=825892#post825892
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=852847#post852847

If you need a few more let me know.

Cheers,

AJ

Haha

Was expecting just that, here's another word 'predicatable'.

So now I'm daft for pointing out that insulting a forum member so blatently isn't particularly cool? -Sure thing AJ. And what's your point with regards to chops? He's made some opinions that you don't agree with and therefore he should be ridiculed and insulted? -Brilliant attitude.

Like I said before, engage brain next time. And see you in two days :D

AJinFLA said:
Shin, did you actually read this thread before posting? It might help.

No, he posted two completely opposite opinions.

Engage your brain for a minute Shin, which one is it??

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&userid=12664

What would you call that Shin? Brain engaged yet?

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=649114#post649114
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=740341#post740341
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=825892#post825892
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=852847#post852847

If you need a few more let me know.

Cheers,

AJ

No, one post qualified the other - there IS a difference. What you are doing is stripping out the context and fabricating a false conclusion.

Nor did he insult another member, rather he opinioned a negative view of that other member's commmercial product. There are two significant differences here:

1. It is not personal. (rather you have deemed it personal.) Instead it's about an object.. more specifically a product (not a person).
2. It IS a product. (i.e. part of a commercial venture.)

Remember it is HIS OPINION - NOT YOURS (or anyone elses). Respect his opinion if not his conclusion AND understand the difference, stopping making things personal, and enjoy life (rather than making it hard on others).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.