Found: source for cheap ladder attenuators

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here's how the switch is made. I wouldn't bother with a kit. It's not worth the time and you'll never make like that;)

Attachments

• sw.jpg
    sw.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 1,078
Have you guys seen this? They will begin selling this step attenuator in January.
This website (www.diyzone.net) has just organized a group-buy of several hundreds of Aleph P and Aleph X kits with super low price. Less than 110USD for a two-channel Aleph P kit, and less than 450USD for a two-channel Aleph X kit including PCBs, transformers, enclosing, large heatsinks, large rifa PEH169 capacitors, vishay resistors and a set of 24 matched mosfets (to a precision of 0.01V with the method suggested by NP). This 8-gang attenuator is part of the plan.

rvas18 said:
is there a price difference between the two types too (fat and unfat)

The website does not provide the "unfat" type switch, but here is how the fat ones can be modified to the "unfat". http://www.diyzone.net/article.php?sid=389

The website does have their buying applet at http://www.my3c.net. Again, not in English, so I think its useless for you guys. However, you can contact the owner of the website who does speak English. His address is limin_wu@my3c.net and I think he will be glad to help.

the switch is break before make and has that really wrong feel to it when changing volume (it feels like changing channels -- *clank* *clank* *clank*). even putting a relatively large 1.75" knob on it didn't make things much better. so yeah, you get what you pay for, and no, I don't think the guys at goldpoint or DACT should worry too much ;).

I'm really curious which switch you are talking about, obviously not the one we do.

The one pictured is NOT break before make and the "feel" isn't in any way inferior to Elma, that DACT is using.

It is slightly softer action (comparing to Elma) and the clicking is actually less annoying. Personally, I don't find anything wrong with it.

Attachments

• sw.jpg
    sw.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 810
Yes, I bought this (stereo) version from him. Maybe it is a language barrier. I was trying to get the mono switches alone, and while it seemed that they are available, I couldn't get a price quote on them;)

But for the price, those attenuators are an incredible deal. The Elma switch, I posted previously and which is mono, is $60 from Percyaudio.

It's hard to predict how the Chinese switches will perform in a long run, but even with a better grade Elma, I had some noises (which disappeared after I sprayed them inside).

I still didn't have a chance to listen to Chineese attenuator, and will not definitely put the same resistors on Elma.

I don't expect much from those Dales, but in some applications they may be great (especially considering the price).

If they come out fine from initial test, I would upgrade the most freguently used resistors (mostly series) to a better type (like Vishays seen on a forume at $3)

Peter Daniel said:
I'm really curious which switch you are talking about, obviously not the one we do.

The one pictured is NOT break before make and the "feel" isn't in any way inferior to Elma, that DACT is using.

It is slightly softer action (comparing to Elma) and the clicking is actually less annoying. Personally, I don't find anything wrong with it.
here's the one I'm taking about: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3060841617&category=3284&rd=1

I got a pair of 100k (asked for 10k but, heh, this is what I got) and I'm considering selling the other one because of the `feel` and the clicking/clanking.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Did you try Elma before?

I use a pair of those as dual mono volctrls, they work great...

They don't make any funny noises and when rotating and never gave me any problems whatsoever.

Actually the little clicks help me operate them when I count from zero to eleven left and right channel...
I usually leave them at pos. eleven, where I fitted the S102 Vishays and use the mute switch when I change records.

Guess it's all a matter of getting used to things, huh?

I can well imagine the Blore Edwards or Shallcro to require more force to rotate as they're spring loaded....Not to mention the price.

Cheers,;)

Peter Daniel said:

Did you try Elma before?

And those switches are make before break.
I've used a bunch of DACTs in the past and still have a couple at hand. They are definitely smoother. Haven't tried goldpoints yet but I believe it's the same ELMA type 04.

With these ebay volume controls I have there's silence between clicks, so I presumed they're break before make.

In any case, if you like them or yours do not exhibit these issues -- that's awesome. I myself bought them as an experiment to see if they might be a cheaper DACT replacement. Well, to me they're not, and that's about it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.