Found: source for cheap ladder attenuators

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i think i understand

these pots are actually selectors (also used for selecting for example a monitor screen or a pc or a printer. They are selectors.

In PROC they are made for about $0.15 a piece when ordering a 1000 so I suppose they could be sold in kit form with resistors for $10 , still has a nice mark up.

J-P

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I'm in favor of the group buy thingie. But I don't speak nor read chinese. Plus, I've never organised a group buy before. Perhaps we could do something similar as the Aleph-X board group buy?

One thing is sure is that we would need to organise cross border transfer between Canada and USA. This way the packages could be shipped without the customs delaying them for severals weeks.

Has anyone ever organised a group buy before? Is it easier to collect the funds prior to ordering or afterward? (shipping cost??) This might be a considerable amount to front though.

I'm ready to be the relay spot in Canada. It might be easier to do for someone in Toronto though. (Closer to the US border, and shipping fees across Canada would be lower due to the better location of Toronto) Is there someone ready to relay in the United States?

Just pitching ideas here.

Sébastien

tool49 said:
I'm in favor of the group buy thingie. But I don't speak nor read chinese. Plus, I've never organised a group buy before. Perhaps we could do something similar as the Aleph-X board group buy?

One thing is sure is that we would need to organise cross border transfer between Canada and USA. This way the packages could be shipped without the customs delaying them for severals weeks.

Has anyone ever organised a group buy before? Is it easier to collect the funds prior to ordering or afterward? (shipping cost??) This might be a considerable amount to front though.

I'm ready to be the relay spot in Canada. It might be easier to do for someone in Toronto though. (Closer to the US border, and shipping fees across Canada would be lower due to the better location of Toronto) Is there someone ready to relay in the United States?

Just pitching ideas here.

Sébastien

I don't know were you get the idea of several weeks delay by customs. I order and send stuff frequently and never experienced any such delay. BTW, a small parcel from China doesn't take longer than 2 weeks (surface post).

It is recommended to collect the money before ordering. You can calculate the exact rates from canadapost.com. I don't think Montreal or Toronto location makes much difference in rates.

I contacted the guy from Ebay and he sells the attenuators at $55 shipped within North America. The values are 10k-250K and he takes paypal. Here's his e-mail if you don't want to wait for group buy kyc111@hotmail.com

I don't know were you get the idea of several weeks delay by customs. I order and send stuff frequently and never experienced any such delay. BTW, a small parcel from China doesn't take longer than 2 weeks (surface post).

Well I've ordered more than my share of packages this year from the states and most of them stayed for at least 5 days in the customs... at least a dozen spent more than 14 days in the customs.... As for sending them... The half dozen parcels I shipped were stalled 4 days minimum in the customs... Either the tracking numbers are really bogus or I've been really unlucky. Perhaps it has to do with Quebec vs Ontario customs...

As for the Toronto vs Montreal question, I know that with Purolator for the same package going to Vancouver, there was a $5 difference which is nice to save...

I calculated the fees to import a good quantity of kits and dispatching them around and the cost would be approximately 20$us each plus shipping. I'm still waiting for the guys from my3c to respond to my enquiry for 100 kits... As soon as I'm fixed on that, I'll work to get a wiki page going.

Sébastien

I was surfing the web this morning and I saw this http://www.bentaudio.com/index2.html
They are selling a remote controller for the DACT attenuator which may work on this attenuator that we're discussing here. It's probably way too expensive ($225) and would require too much modification but I find the web site interesting anyway. Take a look at the TX102 Transformer Volume Control under DIY parts.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.