Fostex FE103EN transmission line

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
107E or 103E? The 107E was a bit of a forgotten driver, in the West at any rate. Never took off for whatever reason, most probably because you could get the larger 127E for only about $5 - $10 more.

Thanks. I read online someone stating the 107e had a much smoother response than the 103e, altho now there is only the 103En available - I can't find much in the way of personal reviews but it looks smooth enough on the spec sheet. I'd like to try the 103En in a 2 way 1st order design or by itself in a back horn. By most accounts the 127e was rather 'shouty'

The old 103 & 107 were much of a muchness on that score. Slight edge to the 107, but only slight. The current 103 is similar, and about the flattest of the regular series of drivers that Fostex produce, barring the FF85wk.

Most accounts? The majority consensus on the 127 was that it was one of the smoother of Fostex's old E series units -certainly more so than either the old 126E or the current 126En, which give a fairly accurate representation of the Lowther sound. Which is not to say it was perfect (it was far from it).

I def don't like 'shout', and the only Fostex I have any experience of is the FE 83e, which to my ears sounded very nice with vocals. As I havent heard it, I don't know if the extra inch of the 103en gives an noticeable audible difference in this region.

Last edited:
I don't know if the extra inch of the 103en gives an noticeable audible difference in this region [vocals].

It goes about an octave lower (to ~83Hz) and is relatively "beefier" in the universe of tiny Fostex drivers. The drivers are roughly similar in character (neutral, flat, nice dispersion, neither shouty nor bright when used near wall boundaries when there's no BSC).

Under ideal conditions, they let you "hear into the music" like headphones, which compensates for their lack of dynamic range. In my mind, it's a shame they are not more popular relative to the peakier Fostex but oh well.

Can i get plans for your build?

If you are still around, can i get the plans for the speakers you built here?
Thank you.
Again, Thanks to everyone. Here is the result. It is by far the best sounding pair of speaker I own. I am not, in any means, knows anything about music or sound technology but been seeking listening satisfaction for a long time. I don't think how these speaker sound have too much to do with the cabinet, it sounded great with out being in any box. In a big room most if not all the low frequency is lost but in a small room it sounds spectacular, bass and all. Luckly I have a small room I use as a office and now listening room. I have the pair hooked up to my Topping TP20 MK2, is sounds crisper than on my Rotel RSX-1057. Next project will be the "Cyburgs Engelstrompete" horn for the FE126En.

If you are still around, can i get the plans for the speakers you built here?
Thank you.

Back in 2012 I made some investigations and posted the numbers in the second post (#2 in this thread) - just estimations, but roughly they are correct; I never got to build a pair but I have not lost my interest in the design or the Fostex 103EN.

Another take on the same enclosure - My Other Listening Room – transmissionlinedesigns - and the link to the video (a copy, the original is gone) - YouTube

Don't be shy about posting in case you build something...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.