Fostex driver suggestions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I would also highly recommend the F120a. I have many different Fostex drivers including the FX120 and F120a. The F120a is my favorite of the Fostex and, compared to the FX120, does a better job with low level detail and has better definition at the upper end of the scale. I've used both (FX120/F120a) in a 10-liter ported enclosure and the results are very good. There are two Fonken enclosures the Planet10 guys made available. I would try one of those as a step up for the enclosure.

Regards, KM

If you are putting the speakers into corners I'd recommend BIBs and just about any 4" Fostex (6" or 8" for that matter as well).

https://speakerprojects.wordpress.com/cabinet-types/bib-loudspeakers/bib-calculator/

https://speakerprojects.wordpress.com/cabinet-types/bib-loudspeakers/bib-pictures/

I have not heard the 108z but the 168z has a more relaxed sound than the other Fostex drivers I've heard (165k, 127e and 103e) so I'm making an assumption. I just think their higher end drivers are a bit better. I also understand the allure of the Fostex sound. Unless in a proper box to balance them out they are not good at all.

Balance out a Fostex and you will be a fan for life.

Having built Metronomes w/ both FE108eSigma and F120A drivers, let me say:

-- The 108 is a very special diver! however, it really needs a sub to fill out the bottom end; and it will sound even better if you filter out the low end before it gets to the 108.

-- The F120A is even better than the 108; HOWEVER, it is very picky about the amp driving it! IME, most SS amps will make it sound very disappointing; it responds very well to tubes; so if you aren't prepared to use it w/ tubes, then don't bother.

Cheers, Jim

Interesting comment on tubes vs SS. I think MJK also noted the same about the F120a when using a pair with his "H" frame subs. I can't vouch for that as I don't own a single SS amp, but I have used them with both SE and PP tube amps and it is my favorite of all the smaller Fostex drivers, albeit on the expensive side. I would also add that it is a better designed/built driver as well with a die-cast frame. I have three pair of them and all were built in Japan, while the rest of the Fostex line seems to have been built in China.

Regards, KM

Chris:
Unfortunately, I have never gotten my ears on the FX120; but my best guess is that since the FX uses a ceramic magnet (as the FE and FF series do), it probably does reasonably well with SS. I should probably remember to ask MJK if he has FX120 in his driver stock pile.

KM: Here is the way I found out that F120A and tubes are a match made in heaven: I had just finished the F120A Met build & was beginning to get desperate about having made a poor choice of a relatively expensive driver. MJK came over to listen to the F120A Mets & brought along a tube amp which was seriously disappointing him (it seemed to be totally lacking in bass w/ any of his speakers). We put the tubes on the F120A & the heavens opened up! Pure audio magic! Neither of us would ever have guessed that could happen.

Cheers, Jim

I've been reading up on the Fostex FX120; mixed feelings I'm getting the sense of! What other drivers within the same size and price range of the FX120 should I be looking at? I'm after the somewhat elusive natural and neutral full range musical qualities. Inner detail (nuance) and accuracy are the goals here. I realize I could spend more money but my current design idea is to keep individual driver costs at the $150 mark or less.

Within the Fostex lineup, there are relatively few choices in this size class - each with its own strengths and idiosyncrasies - FE108EZ, FF125WK FE126En are three that I've heard, and quite different flavours they are. The 108 is by far the most magical in the midrange, and the 126 has in your face jump factor up the wazoo - both of those benefit from BLH for greatest extension into the bass, and the latter has a certainly greater forward presentation. The FF-WK might almost be considered a goldilocks model - certainly not perfect, but for my ear a "just right enough" balance of dynamics, bandwidth and presence.

That said, if you can expand your search to other brand names, the Mark Audio Alpairs among others* should be on a short list. Of that family, if I was asked to opine "most well rounded" model, I'd probably have to say the 10.3

* I'd expect a cavalcade of alternate candidates to follow

Alpair 7.3, A7.3eN, or the elusive A7 MOAP would be my suggestion. The last exceeds your budget.

dave

Just now getting back to this. I recently discovered the Von Schweikert Unifield 3 MkII and reviews. I have also had this idea for many years. Does anyone know "FOR SURE" if the Fostex FX-120 they are using is modified or "off the shelf"? Some of the things I've read suggest that there is a special coating on the cone that enhances the already? "magic" sound of this driver.

I am retired so I have plenty of time to dream up different designs sometimes daily. Depending on my mood at the time; I might consider very pricey high end designs; next time very low cost and so on. Having a full range driver 3-way makes sense by augmenting just the very lowest and very highest octaves while the fullrange driver does what it is supposed to do (eliminating crossovers and phase shifts in the wideband).

I am retired so I have plenty of time to dream up different designs sometimes daily. Depending on my mood at the time; I might consider very pricey high end designs; next time very low cost and so on. Having a full range driver 3-way makes sense by augmenting just the very lowest and very highest octaves while the fullrange driver does what it is supposed to do (eliminating crossovers and phase shifts in the wideband).

Personally, it's my belief that the ribbon tweeter in the Unifield 3 is there for marketing reasons more than anything. But then, I've never heard them, and most likely never will. I'd definitely try a 2-way with the FX120.

jeff

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Does anyone know "FOR SURE" if the Fostex FX-120 they are using is modified or "off the shelf"?

For sure might well take a look at one. AFAIK it is.From the frontit looks like it.

Some of the things I've read suggest that there is a special coating on the cone that enhances the already?

It has a special coating from the factory. Been a while since i had a pair in hand.

Jeff?

Having a full range driver 3-way makes sense by augmenting just the very lowest and very highest octaves while the fullrange driver does what it is supposed to do (eliminating crossovers and phase shifts in the wideband)

There are some FRs with good enuff top to not need a tweeter, which eliminates the XO in the range where it becomes impossible to achieve ideal 1/4 wl C-C separation between FR & tweeter.

dave

Yes I am.:) They still get rolled into the system occasionally. And officially FX120eN for some time now.

jeff

Attachments

• FX120eN.jpg
    FX120eN.jpg
    288.4 KB · Views: 300
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.