Fostex 168Esigma vs. Audio Nirvana 6.5

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Oh, I had compleatly forgot about this thread. So just for the record, I played it safe and went with fostex. Man am I happy with them, I just need to dampen them a bit more.

But I now realize that horns are way more fun to build so perhaps I should try to make something smaller next time with the ANs. We have loads of plywood at work since it's used to pile PET-bottles.

I have the Audio Nirvana 6.5 in old Fostex/ACR BK201 backloaded horns. Before that i tested other fullrangers in various cabinets as Coral Beta8/10, Flat5/6/8/10, Fostex FX-200, FP-203, FP-163, FE-206E, FE-103S, Visaton B200 etc.

None of them pleased me as much as the AN. Why? Other drivers have some strenghs too but the AN is the most hifi-sounding FR. In the backloaded horn i only need to stuff the compression chamber, any other damping is needed in the horn. The AN needs no notch or other filters and offers smooth and not 'shouting' mids. The bass is not very deep but i don't miss a subwoofer. There's no tweeter required.

Only in direct comparison to my other speakers (Visaton Topas, Yamaha NS-1000) i hear little colorations/resonances in the mids.

I think that the distributor isn't right to recommend closed or bassreflex cabinets. Without improvement of a horn in the lower mids the AN will surely sound too bright.

The simulation is AN 6.5 in BK201. I'm still working on another horn for deeper bass.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

an super8

I just ordered 2 an super8. There is controversy about these but I am curious enough to risk the investment. I have the fe-206e in blh, I intend to put the an8 in and listen.

I guess the fullrange market is quite small so not much to choose from.[that is affordeable]. :rolleyes:

cheers
doggy:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.