Fostex 168Esigma vs. Audio Nirvana 6.5

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
kmj said:

Thanks for you reply. Do they sound as good as the manufacturers say?

Anyone who says their driver is the best in the world or better than any driver made by "x" company is full of it. I'm sorry, but I have issues with the statements on that website. I'm not saying the drivers aren't any good in their own right, but they do sway people with this language of lies.

As for these drivers, I'm sure they're all right. But, I highly doubt they compare to the Fostex Sigma line. And to be honest, I doubt they are equals of the FE line either. I've read where reputable people have compared them, and the build quality isn't as nice as the FE drivers and no where near the Sigma line. They have cheap stamped frames, nothing extra.

If you look at the comparison chart on the web, you'll see all the magnet sizes, etc. But, if you look at the magnet strength, which really tells the story. You'll see that they don't compare, even his smaller 6.5" driver with a magnet about 2.5 times the size of the Fostex's isn't as strong as the Fostex's. Make sense? No, obviously you get what you pay for with Fostex and this company. Quality parts do make a difference. I wouldn't trust this guy in any way.

I hope the drivers sound good to those how have them, however. If this guy introduced them and sold them for what they are instead of bashing another company, (who's product he sells, make any sense to anyone?) to try to make himself look good, I'd have at least a grain of respect for him.

Sorry for the rant. Good luck with your projects.

kmj,

Looks like someone has a Mirvana spit in his throat...

We are not here to sell those speakers, but some did buy them (I did so)
and are there to share . And don't get any discount either.

Some would like to buy them, so let them get the right informations.

I have had in my hands Fostexe's ; Mirvana's, Supravox 215RTF Bicone
the energy to move a 5/7 grams cone is irrelevant versus stamped or cast basket
we are not talking of a 15" woofer but a little 6" fullranger!

Admit for a second they are worth-it ; it would have been a shame not to try.

Alain.

Alain, kmj, others...

I agree with what Alain is saying and did not intend to flame anyone here in any way. I do think the drivers are worthy of looking into and probably sound pretty good. I just take issue with the way they are sold, the claimes on the site, etc.

I find them interesting as well and wish only the best of luck to those who have purchased them.

Cheers.
Layne

Obviously, there's the Audio Nirvana drivers. But, if you could go with a 5" or so driver, the Veravox 5x is very, very intriguing. In fact, may be in my future at some point. I see they also offer a 7" driver. Check here, scroll down under the News section:

http://www.solen.ca/

I have the 6.5" sigma and really don't get the piercing sound some speak of, unless it's a bad recording.

Beyond that, Fostex has the F120a, which is supposed to be really nice, though not quite as detailed as some of the Sigma drivers, from what I've read. However, I'd imagine very musical. Though smaller, look into the CSS drivers and Jordan. Others may be Visiton and Hemp acoustics.

I'm sure there are many others I'm not thinking of, you may be familiar with all of the above. Good luck with your search.

I am driving a pair of 8" Audio Nirvana speakers right now in the recommended enclosure sent to me by commonsenseAudio. It's a large (31" tall I think) twin port design. It was my first experience at building speaker cabinets, and I would say my success reflects that:xeye: .

So I know this thread is about the 6.5" drivers, but it seems an appropriate place to mention this. I got these drivers precisely because they were so reasonably priced and were so efficient. They have great clarity and midrange from what my limited understanding can tell me. They don't quite get the bass I had hoped for, but that might be my own fault for trying to drive an 8" driver with an 8W/channel cheapo tube kit (the k12M, on which I have bumped up the capacitance along with some of the other upgrades recommended online). As a first project for someone on a budget, I couldn't be more pleased.

Still messing with placement and the fact that I have a huge room (12ft ceilings) and lots of hardwood floor that I'm not willing to cover:xeye: .

Currently, I planned from the start to build different (that is, my own) boxes for them, but I'm not really sure where to start (suggestions welcome :D ) Here is a pic of the speakers in my room (they're the tall ones on the bottom...the ones on top are some old JBL S26's that I got in college cheap).

http://static.flickr.com/34/71897780_55f32fd605_b.jpg

ervington,

take a look at the revue from AudioXpress:

http://www.audioxpress.com/reviews/media/1102hansen2145.pdf#search='k12M%20amplifier'

That's pretty average tube amp for about 2 good watts ; after that the distortion
will be way too high...
Power output, maximum 8W per channel 8W 1kHz 4? (28% THD) Much too high...

And dont expect to get the best from the 8" Nirvana's with such an amp.

It would be better driven with 15/18 watts ; but at this point its not 150U$
but in the 1500 U$ amp range.

Sorry, otherwise the revue is good!

PS: I am building a 18 watter SE with 6C33C-B to drive my 6.5" Nirvana's
http://www.valvediy.com/simplexpg1.html

Alain.

ervington,

Some thoughts. First off, an 8 watt amp should be plenty if the listed spl of 96 db is correct. As Alain said, it's more likely the quality than the quantity. Take a look at the Norh amps. They offer an SE-9 that's amazing at the price of less than $500, often $300 or so used. I'm not saying it's the best around, but great for the price. Almarro has a small tube amp that's really good as well.

Just know that at 96 db, you don't need more than 5 watts or so of good power. Though sometimes a little more isn't a bad thing.

As for the cabinet, this driver was meant to go into a back loaded horn. (It really has no business in the recommended configuration.) What this will do is help even response by bringing up the volume of the lower end to help match the upper end in terms of volume. With a Qts of .19, you won't be satisfied with bass reflex. Do some research, but there should be an appropriate horn design to go with this driver. I'd imagine there is not, so you'll have to do some research.

Another thought might be a folded pipe. Not ideal, but much better than the box it's currently in. Terry Cain's bigger is better box or possibly the Supravox TQWT could be options.

In any case, you'll probably need a sub. You may even be satisfied with you current boxes if you were to hook up a decent sub to your system.

Good luck, hopefully this will give you some ideas.

Thanks Alain and onespeed...that's great to know.

Alain: that makes total sense about my amp. I'm already looking for another amp project anyway, so I'll be sure to keep your wattage considerations in mind, including the whole "how much clean sound" consideration. I will most likely be building something single-ended, possibly monoblocks, but I haven't gotten around to settling on one yet. Thanks for the link.

one1speed: I think the folded pipe is probably more within my abilities than a backloaded horn...I have to do this at home with my dad's tools over a fairly short holiday. I'm taking woodworking classes, though, so perhaps in the near future....

A couple related questions: Are there other drivers out there that my amp could drive better? Should I look at the 6.5" or the Fostex 167's instead and save the 8" for when I can get another amp? That might be more economical than a new amp, which is something broke, ol' me has to consider.

I've also considered the subwoofer, and glad that it is an option (I wasn't sure it was). I guess I'll run my question on that through the subwoofer forum.

thanks so much for your time and help.

We're all happy to help as we can.

As for the driver, what you have is going to be easier to driver than a smaller driver. Generally, the smaller you go, the less efficient the driver is. (well, as related to the full rangers in question.) I would stick with what you have.

Folded pipes are really easy to build and you should have no problem coming up with a decent build. With some series resistance, I'm sure this could work well. One other thought would be MJKs mass loaded transmission line. Pretty much just a box with a lot of stuffing and a port. Obviously much more to it, but that's the basic idea.

So, build yourself a saw guide if you're using a circular saw and have some fun! Do research and ask questions.

It may be good to start a new thread, as we've pretty much hijacked this one at this point. Sorry about that.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
ervington said:
A couple related questions: Are there other drivers out there that my amp could drive better?

Your amp is just what it is... limited by its price (ie the iron primarily). There are all sorts of soup-ups one could envision, but being on a circuit board you would be way ahead with only a few easy tweaks & then start over from scratch.

dave

Huge room? BIB box could be a real solution for the 8" Audio Nirvana, if you've got the corners, or at least a rear wall to load them.

Try these dimensions: They assume 3/4" build material. 70" tall with a total line-length of 140". Driver 39" from the base. 10" external width. 18" external depth. The sloping internal baffle will terminate 7 14/16" from the base and the front and rear internal walls. You'd need a wire with fairly high resistance -24AWG or something similar should do. Just pull a single twisted pair out of a run of Cat5. That should do the trick. Ideally, the cabinets should be taller, proably around 87 1/2" tall, but that would put the driver far too high to be at all practical. I used these dimensions recently for a pair of boxes with the FF225K. With the 30AWG magnet wire Terry suggested in his original article, they were stunning on orchestral pieces.

I haven't modelled the Common-Sense Audio boxes, but insofar as I remember, there appears to be little in the way of 'common-sense' about them, at least for these drivers or the FE206E, which is pretty similar I believe (I'm not really that familiar with the Audio Nirvana range -I must have a look one day soon). They're far too big for what they are, and bass is going to slump as a result.

one1speed said:

Anyone who says their driver is the best in the world or better than any driver made by "x" company is full of it. I'm sorry, but I have issues with the statements on that website. I'm not saying the drivers aren't any good in their own right, but they do sway people with this language of lies.

As for these drivers, I'm sure they're all right. But, I highly doubt they compare to the Fostex Sigma line. And to be honest, I doubt they are equals of the FE line either. I've read where reputable people have compared them, and the build quality isn't as nice as the FE drivers and no where near the Sigma line. They have cheap stamped frames, nothing extra.

If you look at the comparison chart on the web, you'll see all the magnet sizes, etc. But, if you look at the magnet strength, which really tells the story. You'll see that they don't compare, even his smaller 6.5" driver with a magnet about 2.5 times the size of the Fostex's isn't as strong as the Fostex's. Make sense? No, obviously you get what you pay for with Fostex and this company. Quality parts do make a difference. I wouldn't trust this guy in any way.

I hope the drivers sound good to those how have them, however. If this guy introduced them and sold them for what they are instead of bashing another company, (who's product he sells, make any sense to anyone?) to try to make himself look good, I'd have at least a grain of respect for him.

Sorry for the rant. Good luck with your projects.

I was thinking the same thing :xeye: and figured some one would say the same thing here at diyaudio.com But I dont want to buy tweeters and deal with x-overs anymore I think. And they are cheaper than the 166 or 167, so I think I will try them, I hope they sound good in a small sealed or aperiodic box. I want to use them as computer speakers :D

Jimmy154 said:

... And they are cheaper than the 166 or 167, so I think I will try them, I hope they sound good in a small sealed or aperiodic box. I want to use them as computer speakers :D

So you are going to screw yourself out of the chance to have a pair of really nice sounding speakers to save a few bucks? FE167E's just don't cost that much more than AN6's. But the sound is worlds apart. I had the Fostex and AN drivers in identical BR's sitting side-by-side. The AN6's were nasal, sibilant and fatiguing. The FE167E's were not. Unless you place no value on your time, are using free material and are willing to accept mediocre sound, do it right!

Bob

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.