• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

for sale: RAAL 140-15D Ribbon Tweeters (two)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Peter Daniel said:

Yes, I know better, and that's why I expressed my opinion here, which I usually don't do theses days.

<snip>

The key word here is "participating" and from what I see, glottis999 joined the forum with a sole intetion to sell and didn't yet actively participate and contribute.

So did he slip through moderation process?

See your point, but isn't that a bit like chasing the cat after it's out of the bag, so to speak.

I would think it's better to moderate the drawing to active participants. For example a certain amount of tickets allowed for a certain amount of forum posts.
:smash:

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Peter,
Yes. However, we try to give people the benefit of the doubt in the absence of more information. Besides, it would have been nice if the asking price were lower and a member did buy them. Why shut our people out?

The key word here is "participating" and from what I see, glottis999 joined the forum with a sole intetion to sell and didn't yet actively participate and contribute.
At the time, this was his first post. We have no way of knowing whether he would be interested in other threads. Now we have a good idea he is not and is only interested in $$. It's his failure to misread the market and ask too much for them. He is the end loser, and the possible member who didn't win them as we had a "bad" entry in the draw. I guess it's a life lesson for all.

As for moderating a draw, that's up to the sponsor as to what limits he wants to impose. I wouldn't want to penalize a new member with good intentions either. You can argue this question both ways until the end of time.

The moral issues are the vexing part of this situation. Without morals, there would be no problem. I guess that is what causes we humans the anguish - morals.

-Chris

I wasn't at Burning Amp (much to my regret), but at the Vancouver Island DIYFest a very kind gentleman named Iain won the first chance in the raffle. Remarking that he had enough amplifers, he passed over the Ian Grant donated Grant A-34 amplifier, leaving it for another raffle winner. The second guy to be drawn wasn't nearly as generous and scooped up the amp. I should add, it sounds terrific with the FE127 Harveys. So don't despair, there is a lot of generosity of spirit on the forum.

I would think it's better to moderate the drawing to active participants. For example a certain amount of tickets allowed for a certain amount of forum posts.

But then Planet 10 and SY would win everything. :xeye:

So if you're wondering why I'm posting here, remember: the more posts, the more tickets. :D

Regards.

Aengus

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
For example a certain amount of tickets allowed for a certain amount of forum posts.

Those are some good efforts, but seriously, you are saying that in a public DIY festival which wasn't limited to diyAudio members or officially sponsored by diyAudio and was time constrained, we should have:

-Limited the prize to diyAudio members?
-gone online for each of the over 100 people at the event and checked how many posts they had?
as I said, lots of clever tries though....

Now you've got me freaking out, I've already paid for them. I've got serious plans for them and intend on using my Universities testing facilities for the R/D of the speaker...As a college student the loss would be pretty devastating.

Does anybody know this guys personal information in case something goes awry. It's still pretty early, I don't think the funds have been withdrawn from his account.

Variac said:

Those are some good efforts, but seriously, you are saying that in a public DIY festival which wasn't limited to diyAudio members or officially sponsored by diyAudio and was time constrained, we should have:

-Limited the prize to diyAudio members?
-gone online for each of the over 100 people at the event and checked how many posts they had?
as I said, lots of clever tries though....

Hey if the sponsors (mods?) didn't like the outcome, then my suggestion is... just change the odds of it. I wouldn't limit the non DIY folks... maybe just one ticket, the others would have to show proof or ?

I think it's kind funny in a way, I'm not sure if any "morals" have been violated, but as long as they get in someones hot hands that uses them. The real crime would have been, if won by someone in the solid state forum and then sat on the shelf for xx years.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi infinia,
All I would really care about is that a member who will use them can get there hands on them and do something with them. Beyond that, I just want that member to get a decent price on them. I have no other concerns.

Hi thadman,
It sounds like you have an interesting project in mind. The fact that it will be a learning experience also is excellent! A perfect time in your life to be able to design since you have access to both knowledge and equipment.

Tell us all about it once you are done.

-Chris

Dear friends,

from time to time, I have been following this sale effort.
I'm sorry that glottis999 is not in a position to use them, and I don't blame him for selling it, as he got them.
For me, it would be dissapointing that he didn't like the prize at the moment he won it, but he really did! For whatever reason, but he really did. That's good enough for me and if the sale helps him in any way (except funding criminal activities or addiction illness), well, that is also undoubtably good thing, right?

However, if there would be any chance of making sure that prizes will go to the right people, it would be a good thing, but I doubt that we can pull that off, no matter what we do.

Now, I was waiting for the new owner to appear, and I'm glad that it is someone who will (most probably, but may not, as tastes differ ) enjoy the function of it, which was the point of the whole thing, so...thadman, from now on, as I told to glottis999 that day, I will be at your disposal for any applicatin advice that you could possibly need from me.
Also, since I think that you should also feel like you won something, as you now have a pair that was made with great joy because of their purpose, I'm happy to let you know that you just did.

You have the support in form unlimited quantity of free ribbon replacement kits that you might need during your speaker development period, or until BAF 2009. After that, this will be transferred to the next winner.

Not that I think that you may need replacement ribbons for other reason than I would like you to feel very free to try whatever you need to try but without fear that a slip might cost you money for the replacements. Things sometimes just happen...
Please send me an e-mail, so we could be in touch, as I wan't to ask you a few questions and make sure that you got the ribbon elements undamaged. If you did (do), we'll solve that easily with new foils that you can change on your own..

Guys, thank you all for your input on this, it is deeply appreciated.
I'm happy and honored that I've had a chance to get to meet you, the nice people as you are.

Sincerely,

Aleksandar Radisavljevic

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.