Fonken for 10" Audio Nirvana?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just speaking with Dave at Audio Nirvana, and he says the midrange is significantly better on the 10 compared to the 8.
It might be worthwhile sticking with the original plan.

That is not something i would trust Dave to decide for us.

dave

I won't disagree with that. I am probably going to buy some 10 neodymium and 12 cast frames if you guys want my opinion about them. I also have the seas fullrange

Most people says that the 10" is better than the 8" in everything, but if you don't believe the creator of this units then you don't need to believe all those people too...

FWIW, and without getting personal about it, I think DaveD was probably commenting on the "Just talking to Dave ( CSA)" ... part of first post

The only AN driver I've yet heard was very underwhelming, but I'll attribute that to off spec & IIRC poorly matched parameters, and an inappropriate enclosure based on the published specs? IOW, I'll reserve my own assessment, but haven't had the opportunity or interest to invest either shoe leather or coin in hearing current models. To all those folks who have, and are satisfied - that's great

I have not seen very many (any) people who have both to do a compare.

And again my ears, my taste.

dave

I am in the same boat here. The plan was originally to go for the eight but after chatting with Dave (Audio Nirvana) over quite a few emails about my ideas he suggested I go for the 10" as it was a significant upgrade.
While I have never met him he does come across as a fairly genuine and helpful person, in the same way that Nelson Pass gives honest advice about his products. I don't really have a choice but to trust him. Who else can I trust really?

Anyway enough of that. It will be fun just to compare it against my other speakers regardless of how they turn out.

An12 has a whole lot of hash 2-6khz, right where the ear is very sensitive.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/154897-audio-nirvana-super-12-cast-frame-measured-t-s.html

Here is michael chua's graph.
RAW_1M.jpg

Even if you notch it flat, it will still be ringing.

Norman

An12 has a whole lot of hash 2-6khz, right where the ear is very sensitive.

Even if you notch it flat, it will still be ringing.

Norman

Thanks for that.

I will be only using these in the range of 30Hz to 300Hz so won't effect me
Having said that. If they are only 85 to 90dB efficient around 30 to 300 Hz I will choose something else.

Last edited:
np.

If I was getting a 12" to be used from 30-300hz, I wouldn't drop the money on the nirvana. Get something else with more x-max and/or shorting rings for less cost.

The an12 is for a full range design, not a woofer.

Norman

That was the original plan. I was thinking of using 2 x deltalite neo 15" per speaker (what Troels uses), but then I thought the AN 12" might mate better together with the AN 10" tonally.
In addition to that I would get to hear the sound difference between the 10 neo and the 12 cast frame when driven full range individually.
So it would also be a bit of a comparison test.

Still thinking

if you check out the thread I linked to, you can tame the an12 with a few parts or do the whole shebang (wow, that's a lot of parts). A couple of people had luck with only 2 notches and a zobel I think.

The 10 has problems too, just not as many. It has a massive hike in the response starting at 700hz then flattening off 8db louder past 1,300hz, then some peaking past that. Add in some lack of baffle step and ouch, that's a lot of mids/upper mids. A 10 band eq would be absolutely necessary.

On a good note, the whizzer is small (a good thing to me). Sitting 45 degrees off axis should help also.

Google Translate

I can;t understand how this review liked the an12 run wide open, unless the music had zero going on in that range.

http://www.commonsenseaudio.com/affordableaudio12.pdf

Others have noted it is unlistenable without notching.

I own the an10 but never hooked it up. I was looking at the an12 for a huge hinged 6' tall 15" wide with 24" wings, open baffle, but came to the conclusion the the an15 needed less tweaking, and people liked them better.

Have a listen to this video on you tube to a phy setup. Be sure to click on 480p and go to 6:40 for a sweet listen.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh9n9v4bNhY

I'm a bass head and watch movies straight off the left/right of my dvd player. I find 200hz is an ok compromise, but I hear the phase wrap down there. I'm used to a 750hz crossover where the bass and lower mids are lined up. I just don't want to add another piece of equipment (equalizer) in the path (dvd player / active crossover with volume controls / amplifier).

People have said they like the 8" better than the 10 or 12. One said the 12" garbled b4 the 8" did (?). If ya cross at 200hz (like I sometimes do), I'd look for an 8", maybe even a 6". That opens up a tremendous amount to choose from. Just be sure to get some baffle step.

Norman

Last edited:
I can;t understand how this review liked the an12 run wide open, unless the music had zero going on in that range.

http://www.commonsenseaudio.com/affordableaudio12.pdf

Others have noted it is unlistenable without notching.

because all those reviews stink of bulls**t. no frequency plots or anything in most of them, the entire thing reading like its from a script. never a single bad word about them. i have some 8" neo clone things from the guide sound factory. i like them but i definitely can see they have bad points, like their complete and utter lack of bass. their slightly aggressive attack on some notes and instruments. their slightly cold and metallic sentiment. not that nice warm friendly alnico sound. doesn't detract from what is otherwise quite a pleasant experience for me. far from perfect, but very worth the money i paid for them.

I rather liked the AN8's I had occasion to treat. Very complex driver indeed. Never have gotten all of the shrieks out of a pair, but getting close does provide a very transparent driver.

IMHO the 15" AN driver is sublime. Just patterns applied, no gloss coat at all. Powerful and with the best whizzer I have heard. Very much like a large planar diaphragm with dynamic power.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.