Folded Horn Acoustic Guitar Patent # 10,777,172

Joined 2021
Paid Member
JJ - you and I think alike, and we usually agree, but not always, which is not a bad thing, free thinking. Lately we have really been on the same page, me thinks!

Yeah too much talk will drive people away, agree! I am trying to find a way to describe horns to the general public that will be watching this, a far cry from diyAudio people.

I really need to talk about horns for about 30 seconds, and my guitar, maybe a few minutes. I am thinking the entire video is ten minutes max. I completely agree that long videos suck!

Background music? No ******* way, I hate background music, that is for elevators.

I will not do it on this video, but I would love to have a clear polycarbonate chamber divider, and fill the horns with smoke, then jam and let everybody see that happen, have thought about that many times, Marlboro Light anybody? :ROFLMAO: Would need to be another guitar through that guitar to see it, like the old days.

Good luck with the open mic, what you are saying does not surprise me, that is why I do not like them, BUT there is some value for sure, great to get out and jam in front of others, and with other musicians.

I remember one night at a house party in my twenties, I played acoustic guitar and sang American Pie. Back then I knew every word of that song, was a total crowd pleaser. There were probably forty people in our large rental living room singing their hearts out, and drinking like fish. It actually sounded really great. Nobody cared much about the sound (OK I did), but everybody had a blast, now that is the kind of jam session that I love, everybody happy and enjoying the music!

What about FR from your new Yamaha? All I am hearing is crickets. I would love to see this data and compare it to mine. Please advise and thank you brother!

Thinking about styro bean bag filling somehow suspended just at the horn mouths, so a video could capture them moving with the sound coming out. That would show the YT crowd "how it works". Or little thin paper strips that you can see vibrate at the horn mouths. Unsure of it would blow out a match with a hard strum; sure impress me if it did.
Seeing strips of paper vibrating would be difficult, they would just look "fuzzy" at frequencies above 10-20Hz.
Blowing out a match might look impressive but indicates turbulence (wind), not oscillating sound waves.

Joined 2021
Paid Member
Round Table Recording Company recommended Casey Harshbarger to play my guitar on the video, I checked him out on YouTube, oh yes! This guy kills Zeppelin and originals, smoking great guitar player, pretty damn happy he agreed to do this! Plus a great acoustic guitar player, need that big time. Check out his music on YouTube with his band The Warrior Kings.

The Videographer called me and said my guitar IS SICK! Great talk with him about editing...seems like the right guy for sure.

I was a little nervous about the studio, new for me, but now I am excited. Let's Make The Acoustic Guitar Rock!

Attachments

• Casey Harshbarger - Warrior Kings.pdf
    230.3 KB · Views: 40
Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2021
Paid Member
Round Table Recording Company was excellent! This is Casey Harshbarger playing my Folded Horn Acoustic Guitar, he is the guitar player for The Warrior Kings, man can this guy play! I am going to see them next weekend at the Slippery Noodle in Indy.

The attached file is just an iPhone video that I captured, so much better on the iPhone 15 than my old iPhone 7.

The files I sent earlier suck *** compared to this, not just quality, but a serious guitar player.

He said, man you have something here, so cool, send me all your info!

Then we listened in the control room, I said are you sure this is my guitar? They laughed and said yep! I was floored, by far the best I ever heard this guitar!
And this is raw, before editing, not really sure much is required, but we shall see.

When I heard this recording, I realized the link weak in the chain was: ME!

Get out of the way and let professional musicians and sound engineers do their work!

I have a new email, if you want to see the video, shoot me an email and I will send you a WE with unlimited file size.

Casey asked me to lower the action on the guitar, I was like, yeah I know, no problem. He said then I can really jam. I am thinking, you mean it gets better?

This is just the first step, more jamming to come. Finally Making The Acoustic Guitar Rock!

joek@katzenginnovation.com

Attachments

• Blues Track.zip
    2.4 MB · Views: 57
Joined 2021
Paid Member
Sorry guys, I was texting files from my iPhone to friends yesterday, 30 seconds is max to text.

The file attached from my post yesterday is the raw (unedited) sound from the recording studio, a zipped .mp3 file. That was all that diyAudio would allow due to size limitations.

The .wav file from the recording studio is 10 times larger, so better quality for them to work with, too large to attach here.

Plus my last post should have said "weak link", not link weak"...

Next step is YouTube, but I want to get more footage first, to get best quality, so that will be a little longer.

Thank you Speedysteve7!!

Joined 2021
Paid Member
Hello Art - I do not have all that info yet, but I will get it, and post here.

I know they used at least four mics. maybe five, they were measuring distances for each and pointing in specific directions. They two mics together in front of the guitar, looked about three feet away, and angled away from each other. I know they used a$1,200 ribbon mic, because I asked about it. They said there are many good mics that don't cost that much, but this one is great. It was about three feet in front, but also another three above the guitar. In addition to that, I think they used one mic on each horn, again I believe each was about three feet away.

At that time there was much going on. I was trying to keep my mouth shut and stay out of their way, and let them do their work. I am going back, so I will get good pictures of mic setup...more details.

There were two engineers, the owner, the guitar player and the videographer. I was impressed, they were so cool to work with. I noticed on their wall of fame they did sound for The Voice, Pawn Stars, American Restoration, Catfish, Some Rap stars that I don't know, of course The Warrior Kings (Casey's band)...great people and great place! Plus they were really interested in my guitar, peppered me with all kinds of questions, even guys that were not working on the project came in to check it out.

Thanks much for your interest!

Recording sounds very nice. I like how he spills down to the lower notes in that one section - nice. Too bad you couldnt snap a few still photos of Casey, holding your FHAG, with all the mics, before he started playing.

Also to note with the recording is the amp used, the control settings on the amp, and which pickup was used; mag, piezo or both and if both, what levels of each in the mix going to the amp.

Fantastic! Keep it up! Looking forward to more!

Joined 2021
Paid Member
Thanks JJ! Pictures attached, amp settings: master on 8, magnetic on 8, piezo on 7, all tone, reverb and chorus on zero.

Magnetic preamp on 9, piezo preamp on 5.

This seems to be a game changer, I am getting a flurry of activity, very grateful to Casey and everybody at Round Table. Casey and I were trading stories of our past fun at Blues Bars in Chicago, our musical tastes line right up! Everything up to now was data and talk, and what I heard, finally I have some real music for others to hear. People who admittedly know nothing about guitars and audio are like, Wow! that damn thing really does work! So tell me about those crazy horns again, how do they work?

My friends that I have known for many decades are ruthless of course. If they get a chance they would gladly shove it down my throat and laugh at me, they to a person say the sound is excellent, and they are music freaks like me.

Art, I noticed no mics in the picture, so I need to get back to you on mic placement. I know they used four or five, because they showed me in the control room. Stay tuned!

Attachments

• Folded Horn Acoustic Guitar - Casey Harshbarger - Warrior Kings.pdf
    397.9 KB · Views: 32
Thanks JJ! Pictures attached, amp settings: master on 8, magnetic on 8, piezo on 7, all tone, reverb and chorus on zero.

Magnetic preamp on 9, piezo preamp on 5.

This seems to be a game changer, I am getting a flurry of activity, very grateful to Casey and everybody at Round Table. Casey and I were trading stories of our past fun at Blues Bars in Chicago, our musical tastes line right up! Everything up to now was data and talk, and what I heard, finally I have some real music for others to hear. People who admittedly know nothing about guitars and audio are like, Wow! that damn thing really does work! So tell me about those crazy horns again, how do they work?

My friends that I have known for many decades are ruthless of course. If they get a chance they would gladly shove it down my throat and laugh at me, they to a person say the sound is excellent, and they are music freaks like me.

Art, I noticed no mics in the picture, so I need to get back to you on mic placement. I know they used four or five, because they showed me in the control room. Stay tuned!
Like the pics.
He makes it sound so easy 😇

Five tracks are visible on the video screen, one stereo, three mono.
The pre-amp output(s) probably were recorded direct.
Considering you believe each of the mics were about three feet away from the guitar, and how little room ambience can be heard on the "Blues Track" mp3 mix, it sounds like it may be largely direct.

At any rate, can't tell from the mix what the horn to direct and acoustic output is.

It would be interesting to hear the tracks individually, and the video audio track, if there is one.

Joined 2021
Paid Member
I figured you would see that Art. I just received an email from Round Table and they said hurry back, was a great experience from both sides, so I will get details.

Added another mp3 track.

JJ - I can't access your video.

Attachments

• Other Track.zip
    2.3 MB · Views: 29
The pre-amp output(s) probably were recorded direct.
Considering you believe each of the mics were about three feet away from the guitar, and how little room ambience can be heard on the "Blues Track" mp3 mix, it sounds like it may be largely direct.
Strange; one would think they'd get that the sound of the guitar through the guitar's speaker system is what the customer is after. But I guess if you have that many inputs, might as well use 'em.

However, having just those piezo - mag pickup tracks will be useful to Joe, as he could later pipe those tracks / that blend-mix through the FHAG and get what the pro player would sound like on it, anywhere, anytime.

The embedded video plays on my system; using Firefox. Could always search YT for "Tales from the Tour Bus". They're quite entertaining.

Joined 2021
Paid Member
Hello all - this is not from the pickups, it is all guitar and horns. I controlled the amp the entire time, so that was not allowed, nor did they suggest it, would defeat the purpose. Not sure about the direct track, if that is correct, maybe the videographer plugged in with his sound? I did not look very close at his camera/mic either, but it was substantial.

I think I forgot to mention, Casey said he hates an acoustic guitar through any amp, the sound sucks. I was like, thank you! Man is that the truth!

I was busy doing interview, getting video, just listening and watching, was very intrigued by his playing and the sound...so I regret not paying attention to the mics. I was never in a situation with this guitar when five mics were being used, so a live and learn situation.

I think maybe they had their sound finished, and removed the mics so we could do iPhone videos also, it would have been fast, because I don't remember seeing that. Or, maybe the sound was so much more powerful than a standard acoustic guitar, they moved the mics back, we shall see.

If anybody wants a video, shoot me an email on my new email posted above on #866. I am pretty sure I can text the large iPhone video to Dropbox (too large for email). If that works I can send you a link via email, and you will not have to post your email here, I don't mind having mine on diyAudio. It is a business email, not my main email, so no problem.

Looks like I am now starting the diyAudio habit before work (I start at 6 AM). A good sign me thinks! :eguitar::ROFLMAO:

I think I forgot to mention, Casey said he hates an acoustic guitar through any amp, the sound sucks. I was like, thank you! Man is that the truth!
He must've had a visceral impression of playing the FHAG; after all the amplified sound does emminate from the instrument itself, similarly to how an acoustic "projects" but of course louder and out the tail end. What does Bono say in that song? "Except you give me something I can feel".

I mean if you can feel the whole thing vibrating in your hands, or against your body; that's another sensation - besides aural - that a player might find advantageous. Or to their liking, hopefully.

Maybe he needs to play it a few more times, for that aspect to grow on him, if it does. Of course, sound coming out the instrument itself versus a cabinet over there may be a good enough aural trick that a player can forgive the amplified part of their "sucks" perception.

I wonder what he would say?

Joined 2021
Paid Member
By that he meant a standard amp, electric or acoustic with an acoustic guitar. The horns are not considered a standard amp at all, so a good thing, he liked that.

Now of course the sound is amplified, can't get away from that, but so is the nice guitar sound through a mic and PA.

Standard amp and piezo just don't cut it in my opinion (and his), you can find that everywhere online.