Foam Core Board Speaker Enclosures?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
My favorite is the bookshelf press full of books as used by Sebastian on the wooden Cornu build.
Hey whatever you have around. The problem with cinder blocks is they are not useful for anything else when done with clamping (other than building brick and mortar stuff or to make stands for a dorm room shelf).

Last edited:
My favorite is the bookshelf press full of books as used by Sebastian on the wooden Cornu build.
Hey whatever you have around. The problem with cinder blocks is they are not useful for anything else when done with clamping (other than building brick and mortar stuff or to make stands for a dorm room shelf).

Oh, c'mon. I'm using my cinder blocks for a backyard maple sap boiler...so no speaker gluing for now. :trapper:

.....The problem with cinder blocks is they are not useful for anything else when done with clamping (other than building brick and mortar stuff or to make stands for a dorm room shelf).

That really depends on the depth of you FC syndrome. Could lead to a whole new project. Remember?? :D:D:D

Two fresh blocks per FC project and soon....

331807d1361448921-foam-core-board-speaker-enclosures-biggest_subwoofer_08.jpg

Last edited:
Yet another note to self: Cut the pieces to size before gluing together. Yellow glue is hard to cut with an Olfa knife.

Cal,
Have you ever thought of buying 4 to 6 cement blocks
Yes but like most things, I use them up on something. In this case they became base weights. :)

Attachments

• IMG_1789.jpg
    IMG_1789.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 421
  • IMG_1896.jpg
    IMG_1896.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 401
Here is another iteration of foam board construction with foam stands. Two Audience A3 Full range speakers per side in a traditional full SD, 1/4 wave at 40Hz. No tweeters needed here and the bass is that typical warm type that only TL can provide. The imaging is also stunning. Still need to do some measurements. Foam is a cheap prototyping material and these enclosures could be fabricated with 1/4" or 1/2" plywood and still maintain the narrow profile.

Attachments

• A3-1.JPG
    A3-1.JPG
    753.7 KB · Views: 261
  • A3-2.JPG
    A3-2.JPG
    470.7 KB · Views: 268
I would think they would work fine. The Audience was designed for use in their line array systems and was overpriced as a DIY speaker. They are relatively flat from 40hz to 20Khz, an amazing bit of engineering. The Audience specs are 70Hz fs, Qts .33, Vas .11 Ft cu,
with an Xmax OF 12 mm. I'm not familiar with any Vifa driver that comes close to the Audience specs.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Ken,
You are really good at these foam creations! Your speakers look great! I wish I could hear them. The black foam core board is a good touch with the aesthetics combined with your stained wood supra baffle makes a very nice looking speaker. I am going to have to get busy to keep up with you ;)
I am busy on my foam core Class D TPA3118D2 amp right now. Making progress finally on that.

I have two Vifa TC9FD that sound great. Well worth ordering another pair and giving it a try. It would be great for me to have a slim box, though I really like the horn concept. See two new projects coming on.

XRK, No, those are bricks. If you didn't catch it on the earlier post there is a link to a complete construction thread back on post #1347.

Worlds Largest Woofer

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Cal-Thanks for the comments. I braking them in with today's Met broadcast of Parsifal. I'm intrigued with the FH 3 and may try a pair later. Which Vifa Model are you using in them?
I wonder of the Visaton FR 10s I have would be applicable? Do you need a good corner for them? I don't have many uncluttered corners.

Ken,
I use the vifa Tc9fd with the FH3 inspired horns. They sound great with just a wall behind them. No corner needed. The FR10 will work fine in them, you may want to stick with full scale FH3 as it was designed for 4 in driver ( MA Alpair 7 or CHR70). Cabinet will be 33 in tall and single foam sheet won't work unless you have access to more expensive larger sheets.
I highly recommend them though. Get some vifa's you won't be disappointed, very versatile and excellent sounding driver.