Flatter than flat. PHL 10" and Beyma 1,4"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
catalog is huge since the company changed from owner.

this speaker selling company ToutleHautParleur.com seems to have a lot of choice and maybe can order the specific model you're looking for... not sure this 10" is the best of PHL catalog for what you plan...

I have not your exerience with speaker design but I doubt with its high Fs, the tunning with the cabinet if BR give a god reslt below the driver Fs... but as says Pano, who knows - but I'm confident with the sound of PHL drivers- too bad they publish so few curves datas and distorsions...

The 3002 is available to order for € 214,03.

Attachments

• 3002-8.jpg
    3002-8.jpg
    508.2 KB · Views: 384
Last edited:
Good one!
While the Monacor doesn't match the low end extension of the PHL, it appears to be better throughout the midrange.
The response is ultra flat up to 1.5k and it's also a bit louder.
If you plan to use seperate subs, the Monacor would be the better deal.

Attachments

• sp-10-250pro.pdf
    87.6 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG STAGE LINE SP-10-250PRO.jpg
    IMG STAGE LINE SP-10-250PRO.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 324
  • hobbyhifipa_spl.jpg
    hobbyhifipa_spl.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 313
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Good one!
While the Monacor doesn't match the low end extension of the PHL,

Use a bigger box, high shelf it down 70-100Hz, with 7mm stroke there's head room. Extension will never be down to 30Hz due to the Monacors lower q but close enough. HobbyHifi's measurement is with 40L minus driver and horn.

@Lindell, how many db is applied in your shelf?
I would like to hear it, never seen the Beyma 755Ti so flat...

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
@ Zvu: You mean : made by PHL with customer's specification ?

PHL are know for their good concistency in production, their high spl resistance, while most Monacors due to the low selling price are made in Asia but the said "German Line" on which Monacor adverts.

Also Gerhard in his last home made high efficienty speaker after some benchmark said he made on spec his Full Range paper cone sourced in a french copany -Audax or PHL ?- cause he didn't find better for the sound and qualty.

Not sure both brands and drivers can be benchmarked here on these two specific models. While Monacor is not known enough here for DIY but tweeters and are good products, it's like SB Acoustic or Peereless low price drivers : can be very good but production concistency makes diificult the production of a monitor for professional use perhaps because difficuly of matching a pair for hair cutters... But sure, double the price when CE made for Dynaudio, Audax, PHL, AudioTechknology and some of the ScanSpeaks.

Too bad PHL don't use Aerogel from Audax material... But PHL is 100% PA world and more strong than non PA Audax line.
Would like to know if Genelec chose the tropical coating for its monitor as sure it doesn't sound the same than the non tropicalized cones at PHL... Damping ????

Last edited:
How do we know Genelec and Neumann use that particular driver and not some OEM version ?

Somewhere it was suggested that the PHL woofer used by Genelec and Neumann is indeed customized, as is often the case with special purpose products.
Due to modern design and manufacturing techniques it's not so hard (anymore) to manufacture different component combinations for specific requirements, i.e. suspension-cone versus motor structure.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
I ask myself why they choose so highFs in the low...BR load are not so good when you try to get a load lower rhan the impedance peak allows...transcient are less good for the few hz winned in the low end, no ?
...or they EQ so much wirh embeded active dsp that the T&s are perhaps not really revelant ?
Why you choose a PHL driver most of the time? They handle high spl and are build like a tank and their paper is certainly one if not the best of the PA world...only aerogel is making better some say...which is certainly irevelant for our ears below 100 hor 200hz anyway due to our bad ears behavior, plus the room we use are not studios and makes the sound...
What do you think?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.