Flat Earthers

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are plenty of weather balloon camera videos on Youtube, most shot with a GoPro which if you have ever played with one, does distort....big time. This video not only proves my potato chip theory, proves that it is also a flexible chip, bending all the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2tPCNjFIo4

There are several videos from the ISS that show an apparently spherical earth. Dispute them if you want, but I don't think you can convince this guy that the earth is flat.....or potato chip shaped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaOC9danxNo

You won't believe the entertainment we have gotten out of this. The whole weekend was too much. He genuinely feels sorry for us that have been 'indoctrinated' by the globeheads. He states there is a treaty by all nations that cover up the truth.

I agree it would be far fetched to think there wouldn't be one whistle blower within the establishment. Our current global model makes too much sense to me.

I am enthralled by this for sure.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
You can't observe holes and electrons do you think the entire semiconductor industry made it up or should conduct research to make the operation of transistors observable to everyone?
Appropriate argument, coming from you. ;)

Most people are not scientists, they learn by directly observing and experiencing the world around them. If I drop an apple and it hits you on the head, we have direct experience of gravity. If we put a pot of water over a flame, we have direct experience of heating. If you run over my foot with your car, we have direct experience of my pain. We might have indirect, but very tangible proof of my broken foot by taking an x-ray photograph. If a water hose leaks or bursts, we have direct experience of the water pressure. If we are told that cold is the absence of heat, that's not direct. But we can add heat to a cold object and observe that it gets warmer. So we believe that heat exists, but cold doesn't. Well, some of us believe it.

However, the shape of the Earth is something most people take on faith. They have to, because they have never tested it or observed it. It's very easy to observe that the Earth is flat, just go up a high mountain near the ocean, or fly over the ocean in a plane. Looks flat, flat, flat. When I ask most people why they believe the Earth is round, despite the evidence of their own eyes, the responses can be very emotional. That surprised me at first, now it no longer does. Most people never question what they've been taught, and take offense when questioned about it.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Thanks Bogdan, that's a good one! It's unfortunate that they didn't do any lens tests on the ground, but I don't that was the purpose of their flight. Also unfortunate that it looks like there is horizon curvature at 350ft of altitude, which seems highly unlikely.

Appropriate argument, coming from you. ;)

Most people are not scientists, they learn by directly observing and experiencing the world around them.

False dichotomy; curiosity, logic, and reason are common to everyone though some might deny their innate abilities. Eratosthenes' experiment was a brilliant application of all of them, the refutations are absurd in their assumptions.

There are so many cases today where believing what you are told can bring you real harm, I still don't see the point in using this one as an example.

sphericity of the planets Tatooine, Endor and the moon Pandora

Don't forget the death star.

Cell tower triangulation was used before GPS was common in phones for triangulation to locate 911 calls as part of the E911 system.

From Wikipedia:

In the US, the Wireless Communications and Public Safety Act of 1999, also known as the 911 Act, mandated the use of E911

We got wind of the E911 proposal in about 1997. At the time GPS units were rather power hungry, required a patch antenna about a half inch square and took several minutes to acquire a fix when first switched on. This did not meet the requirements for E911 so several companies including Motorola looked at alternative location systems including cell tower triangulation systems.

In the late 90s, analog cellular was dying, or dead already in most areas. Qualcomm pushed their CDMA system used by Verizon, Alltel and others. Motorola pushed the IS-95 digital system (AT&T) and most of the rest of the world went to GSM which was co-developed by Motorola, but not widely used in the US. Our division of Motorola developed the iDEN system used by Nextel in the US, and by Clearnet and others in Canada.

The CDMA system is an offshoot of the spread spectrum communications protocol developed by the military for secure communications. By it's nature it uses exact timing information, imbedded in the "spreading codes" which enable time of arrival measurements from the tower to the phone. If the phone is receiving a signal from at least 3 towers simultaneously, it can easily determine it's location if the tower locations are known. I know that this system was developed and tested, because I took part in some testing to compare location capability against iDEN.

The iDEN system uses a TDMA protocol that uses time slices to divide an RF channel into up to 6 voice or data channels. All towers are synchronized to GPS. Again, precise timing is part of the protocol, and we developed software that could determine the phone's location if 3 towers were in range. I worked in the iDEN development group for 10 years, during the development and deployment of E911.

Location of the phone by time measurements from multiple towers required a lot of DSP power which wasn't available in the late 90's so these location systems were less than perfect. Before we launched the TOA (time of arrival) system in iDEN a company named SiRF (silicon RF) launched their SiRFstar2 chip set which put small low powered GPS in the phone. We employed that in the iDEN E911 phones. The GPS was only enabled when needed, and the GPS was told it's approximate location and an ephemeris data set downloaded to arrive at a first fix from a cold start rather quickly.

I do not know if cell tower triangulation was actually deployed by any major US phone carrier or not, but it was certainly tested by all US phone manufacturers.

IS-95 and GSM are also TDMA systems, and presumably similar methods were being investigated for location of these phones.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yes Cal, perspective. That argument is over 150 years old. Time to get up to date!

Actually I have an unfair advantage here. I've been studying this for about 20 years. I've read the texts, studied the experiments, replicated some of them, done some new ones, been to the famous sites, seen the photos and the videos, heard the arguments from both sides. There isn't much I haven't seen on the subject, tho recently there has been some renewal of old experiments, which is refreshing.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
George, I've notice that phones, at least iPhones, claim better location accuracy when WiFi is on. I know that Google has mapped a lot of WiFi signals, even got in trouble for some of it, but are they using Wifi to help locate your phone?

Now that LORAN is gone, we have to rely on those pesky satellites.

Status
Not open for further replies.