Flat Earthers

Status
Not open for further replies.
All that history stories are true? If the earth is flat they will make documentary on Discovery and National Geographics 😂

Sorry, I'm not negative, just can't belive...

O.K..
I can understand you, much better than Jan and other folks, from the "luckier" parts of the world. That "luck" could be a bone of contention, if it wouldn't be going against of the forum rules.
That are facts, what I wrote above not something to belive.

Or, if we are standing at an other viewpoint, there are nothing is real.
So we don't have anything to debate or proof.

Reality is not only stranger than you imagine, it is even stranger than you can imagine!

Jan

I said to someone once it is the deity messing with our minds when refering to Quantum Theory. The next thought was it is to protect us. I often thought the speed of light is the better way to protect us. Not easy to visit us and cause trouble. Be you thiest or athiest this is protection we should be pleased with.

I was asked by my Swiss friend what the LHC is all about. I said as far as I could tell it is an attempt to know what possibly won't be a big deal once learnt. However the skills will be super important to help build fusion reactors. The reason I say no big deal is I suspect the complexity is endless with these concept particles. I once said " perhaps if the deity likes an idea humans make up the deity will make it so ". It would have to be logical, pleasing and workable. However it might be a fiction up to that point.

Perhaps the most real thing we have is time and yet from what I understand time is the thing we humans most likely invented. It is the thing that orders the chaos. But for time the universe would have no dimensions. How strange time is and yet how everyday it is. Mess with time and digital works less well. Who would have thought it.

Jan. Best fit is great up to a point. I hope the little story I tell says why best fit is a chocolate screwdriver of an idea.

My friend Paul is a real mathamatician. He published books on it and pretends he didn't. We were talking in a pub and were overheard. A man insisted we tell him the best algorithm to explain the stock market. We said some type of curve that might follow the Fibonachi ratios. We then said without knowing a starting value and when the curve next changed the fact the curve fits is of no value at all. He was not convinced and perhaps a bit mad. As we said, if we knew this we wouldn't say and would be rich.

Evoulution is the same. The curve fits, but specifics are unknown. The data has little real value. Like yourself I take it to be the best we know. Doubtless 100 years from now it will be a lot clearer.

Gyuri, the "winners" write the history, so how do you know everything is true? I'm not paranoid, but sceptic. I don't think that someone who lived all his life in USA or some "western" country could understand what I am talking about.
I'm not claiming anything for a fact, but there are lot of "fishy" things in science. You can not see that only if you don't want to see it.
Cheers!

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
O.K..
I can understand you, much better than Jan and other folks, from the "luckier" parts of the world. That "luck" could be a bone of contention, if it wouldn't be going against of the forum rules.
That are facts, what I wrote above not something to belive.

Or, if we are standing at an other viewpoint, there are nothing is real.
So we don't have anything to debate or proof.

Gyuri, I am not sure I follow you. I agree that nothing is absolute, and there's a school of thought that says that everything you experience is colored by your perception, so nothing is real. But there are gradations, shades of grey if you want ;-)

In our modern world you only have to look around to see that things build and constructed to a very good fitting theory 'work'. We would have no electricity if the theories of Maxwell and others were not so good to explain reality, in whatever shape. Planes do not fall from the sky because our theories of how airflow behaves turn out to be correct. Nuclear theory makes sure we can get a lot of power without another big bang.

Some people do research because they just like to know how things work, others do it for a profitable application. But just 'believing' in something without (self)criticism doesn't find a cure for cancer.

I once read, I don't know who wrote it, but it is very appropriate:

The physical sciences are the history of mankind learning to deny the evidence before the five physical senses and to see the truth with the mind's eye.

And yes, I am lucky being born a few years after the 2nd world war, having lived in an uninterrupted period of peace in my part of the world, and having witnessed an unprecedented growth in prosperity and health. I have had a medical emergency that would have killed me if it had occurred only 5 years earlier. And yes, it was sheer luck.

Jan

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Gyuri, the "winners" write the history, so how do you know everything is true? I'm not paranoid, but sceptic. I don't think that someone who lived all his life in USA or some "western" country could understand what I am talking about.
I'm not claiming anything for a fact, but there are lot of "fishy" things in science. You can not see that only if you don't want to see it.
Cheers!

Well there are lots of fishy things in the western part of the world too. Take for instance the whole climate discussion. Who knows the truth? Lots of manipulating data to advance a personal agenda. You find that everywhere.

But just because of that it is so important to try to really think things trough. Because all the false science is often very sloppy; people who bring it rely on their authority, people thinking, ohh, he is a professor, so he must be right. BS. There is no reason why you could not think as straight as a professor, and realize that what is being said doesn't hold water.
If someone tells you, evolution cannot work, but I cannot say that in fear to loose my job, I become VERY suspicious, especially when it takes only a few Google searches to find a convincing, well documented and factual account of it, and zero, nada, zilch that supports the 'cannot work'. But you have to do the work.

A scientist I have a lot of respect for, the late Richard Feynman, once wrote a letter to his daughter on her 13th birthday. He told her that she was going to be a mature woman now, and that she had to form her own opinion about things. His advice: do never just accept something based on a) authority, or b) religion, or c) tradition.
Think for yourself.

Jan

I lived in the ages of that age when they always said that we are doing everything to make to you and to your children to live better. That's what they said to my parents, to my grandparents... I do not know what to say to my only surviving child because I will not lie to her. Anyway, she will not believe it, she has more brains.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Jan, I'm not 15 and you are explaning me things like I'm a teenager, so you think that I'm stupid, or there is a noise in comunication. I have google and developed the knowlege of reading books, just like you...��

Well I am sorry I if I did give that impression. You are definitely not stupid, discussing on an online forum in a language foreign to you. Maybe that was my way to defend against your denigrating and somewhat insulting comments. Shiit happens.

Jan

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.