Fixed gain field recorder?

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Got my first PCB based mic to record sound. It was from the EVM PCM out so no FPGA adventures yet. On to mic #2... DC offset was <100mV after 10 minutes.

//

Attachments

• halloPCB.wav.zip
    549.1 KB · Views: 51
  • halloPCB.jpg
    halloPCB.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 55
C61 is also part of the second-order low-pass filter and it probably provides the charge when the ADC connects its input sampling capacitor to its input to take a sample.

In fact when you analyse the output impedance of the circuitry to the left of C61, you will find it is equivalent to an inductance of 2 R19 R13 C5 in parallel with a resistance 2 R19 R13/(R19 + R13). Together with C61, it behaves similar to a second-order LRC low-pass.

Last edited:

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Aha!

I would like to set it's to something like -0,3dB at 20k. I will measure it and just make the caps correspondingly larget values for what I want - thats should work, right?

Like if I measure -0,3 at 60k I should make all 3 caps have 3 times bigger capacitance to move it to 20k?

//

If I did the math correctly, C5 = C6 = 18 nF and C61 = 39 nF (both NP0/C0G or some other good quality cap, definitely no X7R, X5R or other ceramic class 2 stuff) should result in about your desired roll-off, see the attachment. The normal cut-off frequency is around 657 kHz and the -0.3 dB point well over 300 kHz. I don't know whether the increased inductance will have any side effects on the performance of the PCM4222, you will just have to try and see.

Attachments

• EVM4222filter.zip
    2.9 KB · Views: 50

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
So Mic #2 give me trouble...

Measuring on the OPA I do have +15V at pin 8 and -15V at pin 4. But.... I also have +15 (or 14,88...) at oin 1 and pin 5... Did I fry an OPA?

Is the only way to really know to desolder the OPA and check 1 & 5 again?

//

Last edited: