FirstWatt J2

Joined 2006
Paid Member
How? Release any schema that is remotely associated with the Charachters "J" and "2".
Everyone knows the J2 is the bomb. I know it and I've never heard it.
Unless there is something in the pipeline that's better, this will create a major stir for boards.

In the end, I think it's a beautiful thing that we enjoy something as good as this, but not at the cost of diluting an in production retail product. It just rubs me the wrong way. I respect the brain power that went in to developing something like this- OEM or otherwise.

Roll the dice. I'll stop here.

...I agree with you...respect for NP who came up with it....very much respect!

Anyway NP is working very hard i suspect with his new and exclusive SICs to produce a revolution in High End Audio.....

If you have noticed there is a rush from industry to follow him....that is the main stream, for us what we have to do is respect his work and intellectual property.

I think the forum is very aware of this...at least i for one hope so!.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Just for clarity, I find the lack of an official schematic discourages commercial
cloners, so there is no such thing.

Better that you guys exercise your DIY muscles anyway.

:cool:

I think the words of Nelson :cool: give some freedom .......and the version of Zen Mod is the only one that I know ...... and it certainly has muscles:D

but the hesitating of people must have reasons.....:eek:

maybe there has to be some informal communication in the background between these people and Nelson........:shhh:

and I am really interested to see the other solutions!

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
pretty much well knowing what's real McCoy , and even knowing that Babelfish contains it ( logically - as deliberately more complicated ) , I can say that's easy to say that BJ2 is just a drappie o' real McCay ;

Papa dreamt it and made it , Mighty ZM just translated it .

I'm dreaming another's dream only if I like dreamer ..... dream itself isn't so important .

it's sad fact that any faker will certainly use it ( or any other variation ) as basis for selling real McCay

I made it , few good lads have set of pcbs , and that's it . I'll not pass it further , for now .

(funny - I even didn't burn any SJEP , while making it )

Attachments

• buehehe.gif
    buehehe.gif
    33.3 KB · Views: 1,390
Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member
pretty much well knowing what's real McCoy , and even knowing that Babelfish contains it ( logically - as deliberately more complicated ) , I can say that's easy to say that BJ2 is just a drappie o' real McCay ;

Papa dreamt it and made it , Mighty ZM just translated it .

I'm dreaming another's dream only if I like dreamer ..... dream itself isn't so important .

it's sad fact that any faker will certainly use it ( or any other variation ) as basis for selling real McCay

I made it , few good lads have set of pcbs , and that's it . I'll not pass it further , for now .

(funny - I even didn't burn any SJEP , while making it )

you are a real poet ZM...when hearing BJ2 we tend to say things like this :), my respects!!!! could not have said it better ...i'm sure all the lads agree!

Last edited:
what is everyone making the big deal about for in here? i'm looking for the atrocity, Nelson has welcomed us to try to exercise the grey matter and make the amp, but simply does not publish an official schematic, so that nobody can label a fake the real thing, or produce one without doing some hard work. in general fakers want something for nothing, they do not want to work for it. but all these people in here posting as if something imminent and terrible is about to happen that will change and soil us forever......

this is not the first amp that Nelson has designed that is replicated, or interpreted here and it will not be the last, the whole part of the forum is devoted to interpreting, mixing and matching his designs, applying his philosophies to other designs and the learning that goes with that; he actively encourages it. we can only respect his wishes to not clone his product and give it away or sell it, but at least to me, his own words seem to welcome us to try and make it for ourselves for our own enjoyment

Last edited:
Old schematic used, needs correct values...

In my opinion a possible topology...

Dirk

I built an amp very close to this design. My front side is essentially exactly the same.

On the back side, I used 15K off the V+ (instead of your parallel 3K9). I also used a CNY17-4 for biasing. I used parallel 0R68 in the bottom half of the circuit where you have parallel 0R47.

The amp works. I would publish the schematic, but it was given to me by another forum member who's already said they intend to publish it.

I'm eager for the author to publish the schematic, because he and I have had different experiences in biasing. His published numbers are fantastic.

I used a picture of another member, just put in my changes. Values have no meaning - I just want to discuss topology...

Regs, Dirk

If you go over to tubecad.com Joe Broskie have several articles detailing what he calls "impedance multipliers" which essentially is the exact same thing as the outputstage of the J2.

The thing is although 2.5V (tl431) would be about the right voltage needed for biasing there is to my knowledge no 6-pin 431 available from any vendor, it is however the common package for optocouplers.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Waiting for Nelsons F6 with Semisouth.......:)

.......I tried like some people here in the thread to experiment with a doubled 2SJ74 differential input stage and a Mufollower with two SSR100 at the output.

So I found it very difficult to get a very good sound with four matched 2SJ74, the sound remained always a bit harsh and lacked a bit bass volume.

One 2SJ109 in the input stage only, had a better sound balance, but lacked a bit dynamics. Of course I had to reduce the input bias here to 10mA, compared to the four J74with 18mA.

I did not have the possibility to try two really matched 2SJ109.
The four J109 I have, show all a very different Idss and I suppose transconductance too.

After a long time I tried two very closely matched SRP9610 (Samsung), I drove them with 20mA input bias.
Of course the sound is not as elaborate as the J109 sound, but it is a very balanced sound with good bass and power and I like it really.:D

If you have time and want to do something with your circuit until F6 is coming..... :)

Does anybody have a similar experience out there?:p

and of course I ask myself how will Nelson drive the SemiSouth in the F6?:cool: