First Watt M2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The Aleph series was ground breaking at the time when compared to other solid state amps. Yet it sounded like an average transformer coupled old tube amp of yore. The Aleph was on the dark and full side of neutral with better bass of those old tube designs of the past. Pleasant to listen to. It did not outpace a well designed tube amp of the time. The Aleph sounded like it had your average transformer in the signal path.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member

Attachments

• pinokio.jpg
    pinokio.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 833
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
naah ......

we already know everything needed , tnx to JapZMs from start of the thread

buff-iron-lightning follower stage

Papa send me haiku , freely translated as "ZM's head is full of ...... redundant parts"

maybe , just maybe , one day I'll learn how to achieve elegance and grace

:rofl:

Papa,

Question for you - have you ever tested the M2 on speakers with sufficient impedance to remove the need for the autoformer? You've said the performance of the autoformer drives the distortion performance - what happens when it goes away into a, say, 32 ohm load?

Thanks!

have you ever tested the M2 on speakers with sufficient impedance to remove the need for the autoformer?
My understanding is that the M2 is architecturally similar to a B1 driving a step-up autoformer, which drives an F4. Details are no doubt different.
Removing the autoformer removes the gain. Upping the impedance merely cuts the power further.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member
There is a small review of M2 at tone audio

http://www.tonepublications.com/MAGPDF/TA_041.pdf on page 23

That is very positive........

I am still waiting for the full review promised one year ago here on page 179

http://www.tonepublications.com/MAGPDF/TA_034.pdf

"Watch for a full review shortly when I have time to peel the smile off of my face. Nelson Pass has done it again."

Hope it will come soon......:)

Generg,
how is your cripped F4/M2 Clone doing with Electra-Print tranny?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.