First Watt F1 with Audio Nirvana Super 12?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Wow, some interesting updates here. I thought I was the risk taker four years ago when I purchased my, at the time, "newly" released Super AN8! Now I see that many will now purchase the latest without hesitating.

I have been speaking to David (Dicks) quite often lately about the AN12 Cast. I see that many of you, if not all, are using the 2.8 enclosure. Anybody using the 5.8 (160litre) or any other variation?

As for tweeks, I am no longer using the white "wool" stuffing. I use a neoprene sheet and glue this to the wood. It is also important that you treat, seal and/or waterproof the wood or else I have noticed the sound becomes slightly different during season/weather changes. Also I have placed heavy putty dough on the basket frame and have placed a brace between the back side of magnet and back inside baffle of enclosure.
I have also played with the port. I have used various diameters and lengths. The one That I am currently using is dia. 16cm and no port tube (the baffle thickness is 25mm.

Next year I would like to consider using the 12" in a personally designed enclosure and not just, though effective, square box. This decision for designing is due to a compromise with "certain" family members that "has" expressed that I can build another but it must be very very "beautiful". :rolleyes:

You certainly DID go out on a limb buying one 4 years ago. You wouldnt believe how many times I get total disbelief from people when I tell them I prefer it to Fostex by a large margin. I have had people laugh, tell me I am a fool in more or less words, tell me I am hearing what I 'want' to hear, etc. Usually this is from guys who listen to Fostex exclusively and have heard ANs once or never. Its kind of odd for a DIY forum to run into such disbelief that something a bit out of the 'norm' could be so widely regarded as bunk by people with no experience with it and oddly enough by many people who seem to be 'experts' in the full range forum.
I have the 2.8. I think he just came out with the larger version in the last few months.
Uriah

Hi mavallarino,

The 5.8s are intriguing, but I'm not settled down enough that it makes sense to build something that big. Would really dominate the living room too. Those 2.8s are not small.

I'm curious about the effects of the neoprene and putty in your boxes. I've looked into the putty option and hadn't heard of neoprene. I used good ole-fashioned pink fiberglass insulation, stapled down to approx 1" thick.

You must try it (neoprene). The bass I find faster. However, I will suggest that you staple it first. It is verydifficult to remove after gluing it with industrial adhesive. ;)

I find the bass faster and less muddy. The neoprene effectively removes the "live" annoyances.

Buy (or steal) some. I reccomend at least trying it. But if it isn't fixed it will become a bad sounding internal transducer. ;)

Cheers,
MV

diytoon said:

Well that was my actual interest...
should I try this 12 inch, would it be any better than the B200...(which is already very good)

keep me informed if you guys go that way...

regards,

Tony

mavallarino that has the drivers already may try it.

Try it you too, we need more OB drivers feedback :)
It would be very interesting to compare with a good 8".

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
This is my very first post in diyaudio.

I'm just starting out my journey into the world of hifi. I have been brought up enjoying music on my dad's tube amp and a pair of solid B&Ws.

I built myself a pair of folded voight tapered pipe enclosures for the AN standard 8" drivers. I have read the article on passdiy about the interface network and full range speakers.

I tried a few combinations myself, but with only my ears to judge the sound, I'm having trouble arriving at the right one. Has anybody had any success with this?

I know Mr. Pass will surely have something on this shortly and I am eagerly anticipating what he has to say about these drivers.

Even without the notch, they sound awesome. Very relaxed, not shouty (although, they were very shouty during the break in), tight and tuneful bass and clear highs. And they do pace, rhythm and timing better than any of the few speakers Ive heard so far.

I tried a few circuits and the best one I felt was with the following values:
R0= 10 Ohms
R1=8 Ohms
C1= 22 uF

R0 is in parallel with R1 and C1 which are in series.

With this network, the bass improves manifold in terms of extension and the upper mids and treble kind of even out. But I'm curious to know what others have tried.

I only have the super 8s and the normal eights. In an open baffle there is little bass and the baffle was already very large (for my and my wife's taste).

I'm thinking of the 12" but have doubt about beaming issues with them.

I am also evaluating alternatives such as high efficiency horns with bass-reflex. This is a long term project so I have no rush.

Cheers,
MV

Welcome ra7!

I have tried variations.
I don't care much for filters. I have used from 1 to 3R in series to improve bass responce with success. Adding caps (MKP in my case) ruined the sound. 22uF PIOs would be quite expensive but woth the try. They could also cost more than the drivers!

For the resistors I placed many 1W military carbon in // to obtain up to 3R (using 24R and a few 8R). To obtain and evaluate the other values (from ,5R to 3R) I used smaller values in parallel. I think I enjoyed, subjectively, 1R to 1,5R the best.

I would try using different quality caps as well if your resources allow.

mavallarino said:
I only have the super 8s and the normal eights. In an open baffle there is little bass and the baffle was already very large (for my and my wife's taste).

I'm thinking of the 12" but have doubt about beaming issues with them.

I am also evaluating alternatives such as high efficiency horns with bass-reflex. This is a long term project so I have no rush.

Cheers,
MV

I do not like horns, not BR ;)

Why don't you add some woofers to the 8" AN? Such as Peerless, Eminence, PHL.... If you can fit a 15", one driver per side is enough.

TBH I dont think the AN 8" (or any 8") will ever give enough bass in OB.

PS: I replied to your mail (in italian), tell me if you got it.

I'm just curious, but has there been any group buy on the Audio Nirvana drivers before? Commonsense has a hefty 25% discount on 20 pairs. I wouldn't mind trying out an 8" Alnico model if it's $112 off the $448 pricetag. Of course I'm not equipped to deal with such a thing, but I thought I would just throw it out there....... :rolleyes:

I would like to slap these on an OB. Specs here http://www.commonsenseaudio.com/an8alnicospecs.jpg
The low power handling and low sensitivity is just slightly worrysome to me.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
dweekie said:
I'm just curious, but has there been any group buy on the Audio Nirvana drivers before? Commonsense has a hefty 25% discount on 20 pairs. I wouldn't mind trying out an 8" Alnico model if it's $112 off the $448 pricetag. Of course I'm not equipped to deal with such a thing, but I thought I would just throw it out there....... :rolleyes:

I would like to slap these on an OB. Specs here http://www.commonsenseaudio.com/an8alnicospecs.jpg
The low power handling and low sensitivity is just slightly worrysome to me.

The lower sensitivity would make it a good match in an OB with a higher sensitivity woofer, 96db plus.

I would check out some of MLK articles on www.quarter-wave.com

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.