First time speaker build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Pipes are a nice starters project, but please forgive me - they are butt ugly and I wouldn't want to be putting them in for a final year project unless some imagination were on hand to dress them up quite a bit. I can't help thinking of drains and sewers with this pipe business - sorry !

Of course, I'm biassed towards wood work, a painted piece of wood can look good without extraordinary effort.

I'd suggest that there is enough work and theory behind a bass-reflex speaker to offer potential for a good end of year project. Single driver, no cross-over but possibly BSC.

Such project could be kept simple, but it does allow you to choose some avenues to explore more deeply such as:

how sound is generated by a speaker cone
how high and low frequencies have different properties in terms of directionality
interaction of low frequencies with the room and it's effect on the listener
interaction of high frequencies with the room (hard surfaces, soft surfaces)
impact of speaker position on sound quality
build the box with a removable front or back - you can change the stuffing and hear the changes. Add some wooden blocks inside to reduce the volume and see the effect on the bass. Put some stuffing in the port to see the impact of a 'resistive port'

There's lots you can do with a bass-reflex speaker that shows you have learned about sound reproduction and the things that influence it without getting too technical. You do want to avoid a construction project that takes you until April to get it finished.

You'll want a computer you can use to play tones and other things into the speakers.

Rule #1. Most students over-estimate their ability to execute on a project within a given time frame.

When I want to build an enclosure. I go to my woodshop, ask for 1 plate of 18mm MDF and give them my sketch with the dimensions. I only take the holes out of it myself. They saw it at 0.1mm and always straight ;). So that's nothing to worry about.
Bigun Rule #1 is absolutly true. Don't go to fast. If the paint needs to dry 24h, let it dry 24h, idem for the glue.

Maybe you could start with downloading Boxsim and choosing your drivers.
Here link to Boxsim threath: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/software-tools/158298-boxsim.html
Put your drivers into the program, or use Visaton drivers and test some things.

Good luck and more important have fun.

I don't think simulation software is the best place to start, a practical guide and example such as this might be better: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/diyaudio-com-articles/158899-arpeggio-loudspeaker.html

I don't know if you worked with Boxsim but in seconds you can see the frequency response difference between different enclosures and volumes. You can always clone a design for sure and you know that it'll work. But if you want to design speakers yourself you shouldn't make it without some calculation/simulation.

No, to be honest I haven't tried it and shouldn't have jumped to a conclusion - if it's easy to use and allows some playing around then I'd certainly agree with the value of being able to see how different parameters affect the performance of the speaker. For my first speaker I didn't use this software, just a simple on-line calculator but I did find it essential in choosing the box volume. Part of the problem is that since I have an iMac, the simulation software is not accessible to me.

GM: I didn't use WinISD Pro so I can't compare it.

Bigun: You can install software to run Windows virtualy on your mac but that's expensive
Parallels Desktop 5 for Mac
I needed it because I have other (very expensive) simulation programs that I use for my studies. I wouldn't buy it for a free program ;)

shedevi86: No but in my previous post I gave a link to a threath on this forum. Someone explains how to make a project.

I would only use Boxsim for Visaton speakers. It comes with a very complete library with ALL! the specifications. It's also possible to put a new speaker in the library but I don't know if that works good too.

GM: I didn't use WinISD Pro so I can't compare it.
From what I understand the main difference is boxsim using the measured frequency response if available. If you don't have the FR data and only TS parameters I'd use WinISD since boxsim uses some rarely published parameters like Le, therefore I wasn't able to get usable simulations using widely TS data. On the other hand I did not try too much.
Also afaik boxsim is closed/BR/bandpass only.

Bigun: You can install software to run Windows virtualy on your mac but that's expensive
I needed it because I have other (very expensive) simulation programs that I use for my studies. I wouldn't buy it for a free program ;)
I would just use wine, if all I wanted to do was try out boxsim. Boxsim runs fine under wine. And wine runs on mac. And it's free.

I would only use Boxsim for Visaton speakers. It comes with a very complete library with ALL! the specifications. It's also possible to put a new speaker in the library but I don't know if that works good too.
As I said I wouldn't bother if all you have are TS parameters. You can enter the frequency response by hand. I tried it once, it's a lot of work and there is quite a bit of guessing involved since usually you have to take a graph and derive your numbers from there.

Anyway, being a newbie myself boxsim was a great help since I could easily see the difference different baffles/tunings/driver placement makes. Therefore I think it's a good tool to learn about the different variables involved when building a speaker.

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member

Requires an Intel Mac. You can also use Sun's Virtual Box which is free for personal use.

dave

How does it compare to WinISD Pro alpha?

GM

I'd say it's better, once you have the drivers uploaded (I still haven't figured it out).
It does take time to get it started (it needs cabinet dimensions whereas winISD doesn't care).
You can't simulate active crossovers (that would get over-complicated though), though things like Zobels, BSC, notch filters, and passive crossovers all simulate properly, including how the electrical output would react to the varying speaker impedance.
It seems to show baffle edge diffraction in the simulated frequency response chart: moving the driver 5mm in any direction changed the HF (5-7k) response, allowing you to tailor the results a little.
The bass response modelling is similar to winISD, though (as I mentioned in the Boxsim thread), it allows you to experiment with stuffing using sliders, which changes the g/litre. Available areas of stuffing are: the vent, cabinet walls, and cabinet volume. It can work out the optimum alignment, though I haven't worked that bit out yet (stuck with trail and error so far).
Other limitations: it'll show the max SPL curve, based on Xmax, then power handling, but won't show excursion vs frequency charts.

The choice of bass enclosures is also rather limited (though you can select free air).

Chris

PS - yes, it gives similar results to winISD in terms of bass modelling, I have posted some pictures on my gallery, comparing the responses from winISD and Boxsim.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.