First time 3-way speaker setup/crossover help.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2007
infinia said:
I'm sure they wouldn't speak like that to someone in their face, or they risk gettin shot, at least here in some neighborhoods in the States.

:up:

:)

valleyman said:
I have built one 3 way passive speaker of my own design. I am not an experienced designer at all, and the easiest way I found of making it work was to use a fullrange driver as the mid. This way, the drivers have a large overlap region where their responses are pretty flat and generally no impedance peaks etc too near the crossover points that really mess up the textbook crossover calculators. I also feel they are very good value for money!
If I were to attempt this that's definitely the way I would go
Hi,
Yes, that's why I suggested the Vifa P13. It has a good response right up to 5k and will be tolerant of some crossover mistakes. In the correct size box, it will roll off nicely at the bottom, even without a high-pass.

Yes, I hope N10 does come back. It's always a shame when the local bullies gang up on the new guy. ;)

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Here is what I'd do with that woofer. A good compromise with box size and low freq extension. With the 120 watts available from the amp, this doesn't exceed linear excursion.
This is a very nice woofer.

Attachments

• 115.png
    115.png
    48.4 KB · Views: 206
Hi
As long as you got Unibox running try these,
What about 75 liters 29 Hz? I think that would be the best compromise.
What freq. does the vifa run out of steam (full range) using closed box Q=0.6

edit>F-3 doesn't look all that great but equals 100 liter design at -8 dB or so i.e shallow slope between EBS and closed box. As I mentioned before Group Delay is key here.

Nice to know the limits for the Vifa mid to wisely pick Xover freq.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
infinia said:
Hi
As long as you got Unibox running try these,
What about 75 liters 29 Hz? I think that would be the best compromise.

I did a sample calculation for a second order Bessel low-pass for this woofer using the dreaded calculator.:rolleyes:
At 300Hz, plotted impedance is 9.5ohms from Parts Express. No Zobel needed as the frequency is low enough to be below the big rise.
32uF cap and a 8.8mH coil. A low DCR iron core inductor would be fine here.

Hi Infinia,
Still good, but I like the 70 litre at the higher tuning > gives a lower F3 and higher port resonance.

Attachments

• 115.png
    115.png
    48.7 KB · Views: 197
Disabled Account
Joined 2007
infinia said:
When running the calc think you will use Re. Also should lower the specfied inductance by Le. Then C is recalc using lower value.

Think how to get baffle step? It's easier with dual woofers i.e 1.5 way. Ours will be harder without using alot of Fe&Cu.

No, the calculator uses the impedance at the corner frequency. Re will not give a usable result. Do you have the Le of the woofer?

I considered matching the lower crossover frequency with the baffle step - 300Hz, therefore the higher efficiency of the woofer (92db) would work well with the efficiency of the mid (88db) to give 4db of baffle step compensation without a correction circuit or adding another woofer. Often 4db will be enough.
Higher efficiency of the tweeter could be padded down to match.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
infinia said:

2nd order is 12dB/oct

I think we are talking about different things. I have done the illustration below to show what I'm talking about.
The woofer has a sensitivity of 92db or 4db greater than the midrange. This extra "loudness" is the baffle step compensation.

The 2nd order Bessel is the low-pass filter for the woofer. The corner frequency for this is 300Hz or about the same as the baffle step calculated for a 15" wide baffle.

Attachments

• 115.png
    115.png
    12.7 KB · Views: 166
MJL21193 said:

It will be on the 4th of November. I'd wait. I have a pair of these and they are truly hard to beat for midrange quality.

Mmmm lets see then on Super Tuesday!

I'd don't know the tang bang looks pretty sweet, half the price, and has ext response.

PM me if you have a Xover between the woofer and mid. Use real inductors and caps ( ie standard values with Rdc)
Don't forget the mid LF rolloff and baffle step. I'll put it in SPICE to check you.

Attachments

• 264-850l.jpg
    264-850l.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 138

GK

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
Alrighty guys....you haven't scared me off yet!

Sorry it took me a while to post today, but I'm very much here and I do need to catch up on all the forum chatter here on this post before I get down to business again.

To help you guys, I'll explain my stance on the build I first proposed (now with the edits from MJL21193 for mid, tweeter etc..)

I would very much like to see the design come to fruition, so for the sake of directing further posts, If we could end the suggesting of established designs and boxes, it'd be good.

I did look at those designs and some others I found via the internet however none was very appealing to me.

I have no problem either using a stock crossover or a custom built one, if it's custom (and it very likely will be) then I've got more reading to do then what this forum can offer and it'll take some time, and I'll for sure ask here before I go and start buying the parts for that. However, that won't prevent me from ordering speakers or starting to build the cabinets....that I can do without all the nitty gritty wiring.

I appreciate everyones answers and suggestions, but I do want to focus on this design and get it off the ground --- even if it doesn't sound as good as it could be. First builds never are as good as the evolution of builds years later. The wright brothers flew a few hundred feet at first. Does that mean they didn't fly at all? It's the same here. It's producing decent sound isn't it? If it's not matching the spec graph, or the optimal output, does that mean it's a terrible speaker?

I'm fully aware how uneducated I am in the world of speakers, but I was the same way with computers when I built mine. Now I could tell you all the parts and what they do and for what reason. I hope to someday be able to do that with speakers.

Anyways, I'm going to read over these posts and figure out the direction we'll go from here. But unless someone has an extremely glaring problem with the suggested parts so far, I'll probably start purchasing them within the next few weeks as funds allow...

N10

3 way

N10,

As you have decided to do it the harder way just a few points one does not often find in more popular books.

1. put woofer in a separated enclosure; consequently

2. midrange will have its own enclosure. That gives you much greater flexibility for further choices. The box may be trapezoid with slanted back cover (second best to the spherical). Make that cover removable so you will be able to compare sealed versus sort of open baffle. Of coures separate box makes accoustic alignment of accoustic centres easier;

3. with passive xo do the calculation for operational temperature of voice coils;

4. Sealed enclosures should not be perfectly sealed. One of the reasons is that variation in air pressure will be forcing the piston away from the central position. It does not matter much for long throw woofers but pure midrange drivers are more affected.

Remember to design boxes in such a way that compression and expansion are as identical as possible for the same sine wave test. You will find that in better books. Plus a lot of other things you have to discover so happy reading.

cheers,

Crossovers Active vs. Passive

Alright, no comments further on the drivers, I guess now I'm ready to ask about these crossovers.

Active vs. Passive, and from what I've read, active seems to be the better, albeit more expensive choice.

I read up from this website here .

Active crossovers, they seem to be....simpler to build? Looking at the diagrams, I did get that feeling, but correct me if I am wrong.

How much more expensive are active crossovers than passive ones to construct?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.