• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

First One - mosFET amplifier module

Well, we really don't know for sure.
I transfered my whole system. (amp, dac, preamp, active crossover, wiring and so on) To my friends place.

The same system at mine place was playing since the amp was built with no problems. ~1 year.

So at first startup i noticed the my power modules started in a weird way, but everything powered on and worked, just one channel had a hum noise, thought that it was something with one of the rca cables, because there is a lot of them. It played like 2 minutes, then i powered down the amp, adjusted the wires, pushed the power on, and kabom,

Well we think that its was something wrong with the whole electrical system, because he had problems before with electricity in general

So i have the amp taken apart now, and from what is visual there is nothing too major, resistors in the input side, and couple small transistors.

Well we will see if we will be able to repair them.

i've sent an email to Andrej and he replied quick, i really hope that he will help me with this one because i have purchased like 16 M modules and 8 L modules...

Last edited:
Bah, with 10 modules bought, I had worst treatment than you when 3 or 4 of them die out with no apparent reason, most of them one day they refuse to play.
With months after the date they were bought not only I was not offered replacement but was denied any kind of help service them by myself, not a hint. :down:
This after numerous emails.
He end up being sarcastic too when I simply suggested that he should rise the price and have better support like Hypex does

Worst treatment period in my audio life (diy or not)
It's up to you, what you value most, low price or support. You have been warned

For what I've learned from the last few years dealing with FO L module, the best power supply is Hypex SMPS3kA700, one per channel, accompanied with 40 mF CapBank per channel. This kind of PSU configuration would give enough output current that FO L needs to show its max performance.

Have fun making new amplifier.

BR, L.C.

Hi Andrej,

So finally, what is the ideal capacitance, per rail, for FO L ?

I had the impression of 10mF. Is this correct ?

Thanks

Thanks!

Yep, that's correct. I bought the L module. (not because of the power, but because thats what was available, would have bought the M otherwise).

The manual says 40-63Vdc, so I guess that would work. Not?

Is there any wisdom as to what is better for sound at relative low volume (living room levels). Higher vs lower supply voltage? (e.g. the hypex SMPS-s for the 180 series are 46V, which is at the low end of within spec. The 400 series are are 64V, which is one volt more than recommended, 2V below absolute maximum.
And if it doesn't matter for sound, does it change much in power consumption when idling?

Best regards,

Rob

Hi Rob!

I have 2x 1200A180 PS. The reason for going 45 volt was more current delivery when driving my 4Ohm speakers (going down to 2.4Ohms).
But whenever LazyCat brought his FO 1.4 or M with A400 PS it sounded better. The difference is not big. But it is there.

As for 2 Volts difference. The capacitors are Mundorf. The spec says 63Volts but that is working spec. The limit is 80Volts (the number competition would specify).

Mine 1.4 has most of the L tweaks done except the last one. The last one is a lot of work. Too much actually so that is why LC is bringing out new modules this year. Drop in replacements for 1.4 modules, 1.2 modules too. Also simpler to calibrate bias.

Over here one hour labour could be around total module price. You better try yourself or with help. They will almost always be beyond repair economically.

I agree. The modules are/were priced cheap enough. Repairing a module is not 30 minutes of work. After few hours of work and 2x shipment, new module seems like a good option. I am able to do through hole stuff. SMD no way.

It is not the point. The point is that we should have at least minimal support with parts list...
And in the end there are no new modules available and we have invested in cases power supplies etc. making overall costs over 1K for stereo amp...

The support is module oriented. Dead module for no reason, send it back. If no short done on the amp I am sure LC will honor the warranty or at least attempt to repair the module.

As for 1k investment. LC will keep the size and holes of new modules the same, so new modules with new electronic design will fit and keep your 1k amp box working in future.

I agree. The modules are/were priced cheap enough. Repairing a module is not 30 minutes of work. After few hours of work and 2x shipment, new module seems like a good option. I am able to do through hole stuff. SMD no way.

There are bunch of us who can deal with SMD. Plus there are no new FO 1.4M modules available.
When I was buliding Pass stuff I was not asking Nelson personally to do the tech support. Its sufficient to provide enough info for DIY community builders ...:yes:

The support is module oriented. Dead module for no reason, send it back. If no short done on the amp I am sure LC will honor the warranty or at least attempt to repair the module.

As for 1k investment. LC will keep the size and holes of new modules the same, so new modules with new electronic design will fit and keep your 1k amp box working in future.

No way Hose ;)

I am interested in new modules but I am not ready to throw old ones to waste bin, as I suppose many others with the problems are not.

And for the warranty matter I'm quoting the answer I got from LC in original and translated:
"Garancija za FO module je 12 mjeseca, a zadnji FO M bio je prodat 2016.
Lepi pozdrav."
"Guarantee for FO module is 12 months, and the last one FO M was sold in 2016. Greetings."