• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

First One - mosFET amplifier module

If I'm guessing right, RobSoet has bought L modules, so this doesn't apply...
Thanks!

Yep, that's correct. I bought the L module. (not because of the power, but because thats what was available, would have bought the M otherwise).

The manual says 40-63Vdc, so I guess that would work. Not?

Is there any wisdom as to what is better for sound at relative low volume (living room levels). Higher vs lower supply voltage? (e.g. the hypex SMPS-s for the 180 series are 46V, which is at the low end of within spec. The 400 series are are 64V, which is one volt more than recommended, 2V below absolute maximum.
And if it doesn't matter for sound, does it change much in power consumption when idling?

Best regards,

Rob

Thanks!

Yep, that's correct. I bought the L module. (not because of the power, but because thats what was available, would have bought the M otherwise).

The manual says 40-63Vdc, so I guess that would work. Not?

Is there any wisdom as to what is better for sound at relative low volume (living room levels). Higher vs lower supply voltage? (e.g. the hypex SMPS-s for the 180 series are 46V, which is at the low end of within spec. The 400 series are are 64V, which is one volt more than recommended, 2V below absolute maximum.
And if it doesn't matter for sound, does it change much in power consumption when idling?

Best regards,

Rob

Hmm :scratch2: I don't want to sound rude, but it seems to me that you haven really done much of the reading before the purchase... LC recommends Hypex 3000 series for the L modules and 1200 for M

Hi Rob

Glad the very last pair found good home and I'm sure you'll make them sing properly.

FO L module can be supplied with up to +/-85 V, in either case of supply potential it will need good heatsinking. FO L module works best at 400 mA idle current, meaning at +/-80 V supply voltage module dissipates 64 W. Recommended temp at this dissipation power is 43 degC, adequate heatsink must be calculated and provided, look for something like SK 158, SK 159.

For what I've learned from the last few years dealing with FO L module, the best power supply is Hypex SMPS3kA700, one per channel, accompanied with 40 mF CapBank per channel. This kind of PSU configuration would give enough output current that FO L needs to show its max performance.

Have fun making new amplifier.

BR, L.C.

Hmm :scratch2: I don't want to sound rude, but it seems to me that you haven really done much of the reading before the purchase... LC recommends Hypex 3000 series for the L modules and 1200 for M

I'm guilty.... . Trying to spend as little as possible of the sparse free time I have behind a computer, more building (which still ain't much...)

Thanks for the directions!

Hi Rob

Glad the very last pair found good home and I'm sure you'll make them sing properly.

FO L module can be supplied with up to +/-85 V, in either case of supply potential it will need good heatsinking. FO L module works best at 400 mA idle current, meaning at +/-80 V supply voltage module dissipates 64 W. Recommended temp at this dissipation power is 43 degC, adequate heatsink must be calculated and provided, look for something like SK 158, SK 159.

For what I've learned from the last few years dealing with FO L module, the best power supply is Hypex SMPS3kA700, one per channel, accompanied with 40 mF CapBank per channel. This kind of PSU configuration would give enough output current that FO L needs to show its max performance.

Have fun making new amplifier.

BR, L.C.

Thanks LC. Most probably I'll use one of those dissipante cases from modushop.

Re the power supply, I need to read up on combining SMPS with Caps. I was under the impression they don't like to see large C at their output.

Another thing I found with my SMPS600N400-es is that they do make mechanical noise (contrary to popular believe, more than a NAP250 with DC filter, les than a NAP250 without DC filter). So I was wondering how the others fair in that respect.

So I was wondering how the others fair in that respect.

The ones I've dealt with had absolutely no issue regarding mechanical noise whatsoever. That and physical size were the main reasons why I decided to completely omit LF transformers from the wish list. PSU BankCaps which are in series with audio signal, don't know whether DC comes from SMPS, battery or any other power source, as long as the energy level is sufficient to supply the load properly. Observe to what kind of solution the guys from Soulution came up to in respect to supply their power amps.

I just want to come out with my own experience.
I have bought second hand modules from a DIY community member, and I have accidentally shorted something during gain and Idle power adjustment.
I have asked LC for help. I have asked to get at least parts list for parts identified as faulty, but the answer I got was:
"Modules are treated as individual elements and they are not to be repaired. When in warranty(one year), modules are completely replaced. Since last M module was sold in 2016 there is no warranty."

I'm in DIY for over 20 years + and I have never experienced such mistreatment... Absolutely no respect for us "free guinea pigs"! Absolutely no technical support! :eek:
Now my only hope is that some Chinese comes out with clone so I can have a replacement module...