First DIY loudspeaker project for LM3886

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I really do like that speaker...for a FR'er it would be my top pick for his project. I just think that a multiway would give him a little more hands on...and with a XO, he would learn a little more in the long run. PLus...the looks of a multiway could add a little more of that...CHECK WHAT I BUILT factor!

I like that fact thats its 10 inch also.

hmm...open baffle possibilities...

Last edited:
I like this one...BR...easy box...good extension...good for his type of music.

86db? Can that little amp run these though? Your going to need some muscle to get these to sound optimal.

I would add some more internal bracing.

this kit is perfect for his type of music and for learning how to build a crossover , he should build a d amp maybe instead of the chip amp

Last edited:
I really do like that speaker...for a FR'er it would be my top pick for his project. I just think that a multiway would give him a little more hands on...and with a XO, he would learn a little more in the long run. PLus...the looks of a multiway could add a little more of that...CHECK WHAT I BUILT factor!

I like that fact thats its 10 inch also.

hmm...open baffle possibilities...

Here is a pretty OB with it:
Strassacker: Lautsprecher - Boxen - Selbstbau
http://www.speaker-online.de/bauen/dacapo.jpg

Here is another big TQWT with it:

this kit is perfect for his type of music and for learning how to build a crossover , he should build a d amp maybe instead of the chip amp

shh...dont give him any more things to bounce around in his head...but yes, I agree 100%.

Here is a pretty OB with it:
http://www.speaker-online.de/bauen/dacapo.jpg

Here is another big TQWT with it:

I love that site...they have an excellent selection.

Ok... I think the options narrows down to 2:

1) The simpler and cheaper project with the ciare CH 250
2) A scaled down version of the Alto III, the Starlet ( Visaton - Lautsprecher und Zubehör, Loudspeakers and Accessories )wich has this frequency
response:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

For the second one I've seen the whole kit sold for 200€ EACH speaker. But buying the speakers only it will be no more than 170€ BOTH.... I hope that some polyester wool and some condensers doesen't cost 130€...:)

One last question... The W 200 S from Visaton comes with coated and not coated paper, the second costs HALF the first... What is the real world difference?

For the amp I'll take a look into the class D world...

For the Ciare, at home I have the correction filter diagram for the alternative TQWT in post 63, I can send the details in a follow up mail if interested. They should also be interesting to use with the previous, freely available design which I linked as they only apply to mid and high frequencies.
In fact, it consists of 2 correction filters in series, which made me think that an interesting implementation would be using a speaker terminal for tri-wiring (6 speaker plugs), connect the grounds in one line to the - of the speaker, connect 1 red plug directly to the + of the speaker, 1 red plug through both filters to the speaker, and one between the two filters so that only the most dramatic correction filter applies. This will make experimenting easy.

Anyway, this Ciare speaker will give 95 db (!) of efficiency for so little money which would help your little amp, and it seems that voices sound real and life-like. I do find it a more interesting, and definitely much more left of center approach than a budget 2 or 3 way speaker for the price.

For the Ciare, at home I have the correction filter diagram for the alternative TQWT in post 63, I can send the details in a follow up mail if interested. They should also be interesting to use with the previous, freely available design which I linked as they only apply to mid and high frequencies.
In fact, it consists of 2 correction filters in series, which made me think that an interesting implementation would be using a speaker terminal for tri-wiring (6 speaker plugs), connect the grounds in one line to the - of the speaker, connect 1 red plug directly to the + of the speaker, 1 red plug through both filters to the speaker, and one between the two filters so that only the most dramatic correction filter applies. This will make experimenting easy.

Anyway, this Ciare speaker will give 95 db (!) of efficiency for so little money which would help your little amp, and it seems that voices sound real and life-like. I do find it a more interesting, and definitely much more left of center approach than a budget 2 or 3 way speaker for the price.

Ok.. Sound interesting... Now that it's all more clear, from now on, on this thread I'll talk only about the fullranges, and as I have further questions about 2/3 ways, I'll open another specific thread...

I'm interessed in the correction filter (I'll PM you my email), but I can't find the cabinet design specifications for the TQWT. Do you know where can I find them?

The filter is as follows:
red terminal connector in box - (0.22 mH // 22uF // 3uF // 5.6 Ohm) - (0.15 mH // 4.7 uF // 4.7 Ohm) - + contact of CH 250.
This was published together with the design klnked in my post #63. I cannot post the drawing of the box, it comes from the still available magazine Klang & Ton 5/2009, the pdf of which can be bought for a reasonable 3.99 euro here: https://www.hifitest.de/shop/magazine-epaper/klang--ton/klang--ton-5-2009-epaper.php

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.