First DIY loudspeaker project for LM3886

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If your budget can be a bit higher, but still reasonable, then the following coaxial project should bring a big smile on your face when rendering metal at concert levels. Your ears will give up before the speaker does:

Strassacker: Speaker - kits - do it yourself

Looks good! The Eminence beta10cxl is rated 250W, can this be driven by a single lm3886? Should I go for adual chip design or something totally different?

It should work well enough, important is that it is rather sensitive, hence only a few watts will already be deafening.
It's fun that the Eminence is a coaxial speaker, giving you some of that spatial "rightness" that FR drivers do so well.

The ZAHRA looks VERY cool, but are way beyond my actual budget...:(

The speakers first have to sound good not look.

Go with Fostex 206 back loaded horn. That kind of speakers really make sense for DIY. They also may let you develop a passion to a real music I mean real sounds that are coming from real acoustic instruments.

Modern electronic artificial music like rock or metal is very limited in BW.

Another approach is getting a speakers kit from madisound

Madisound Speaker Kits for DIY Speaker Builders

But horns are very special beasts definitely make sens to try them out.

In this case looks = "should be sounding" good... ;)

If you mean that, I'm not a kid who says "louder is better"...

To define Rock and Metal as "modern electronic artificial music", does not seem to apply (at my advice). There are plenty of "rock" music styles, and they're not all like you are describing them as a bounch of meanless elctronic sounds...
You may say (like other pointed me out) than especially Metal has focus on certain frequencies ranges, and the records sound are very compressed too. Obviously like in all music styles there is crap music in rock too wich is made only to satisfy the "louder is better" kid... :)

I now realise that with you being in Italy, there is an interesting and affordable local solution: the Italian Ciare CH250 fullrange speaker goes very loud, is said to sound good and is cheap.
This is a proven box design for it:
http://www.audiodesignguide.com/enclosure-point/Apostrophe_plans.gif

the red dotted line refers to damping material
the measurement 7+33 means that the horizontal panel of the opening is 7 cm deep, from then it's 33cm until the back of the box.
Measurements are extern, using 19mm mdf (or whatever).

With cheap box material you can make them under 200 euro per pair and they'll blow away any commercial speaker at that price.

In this case looks = "should be sounding" good... ;)

If you mean that, I'm not a kid who says "louder is better"...

To define Rock and Metal as "modern electronic artificial music", does not seem to apply (at my advice). There are plenty of "rock" music styles, and they're not all like you are describing them as a bounch of meanless elctronic sounds...
You may say (like other pointed me out) than especially Metal has focus on certain frequencies ranges, and the records sound are very compressed too. Obviously like in all music styles there is crap music in rock too wich is made only to satisfy the "louder is better" kid... :)

Believe me good sounding speakers for some reason are always subject for WAF that how it works in this Universe :)

Regarding speakers efficiency LM3886 is not much of a power monster so you might benefit from horn in low octaves. But what is the most important concern back loaded horn is very safe proof in terms of sound quality towards builder skills and absence of acoustic measurement equipment.

You need find a local supplier that would cut birch plywood for you based on a plan (you can download it from Fostex or Madisound sites) so you will need to assemble ready to go pieces. The only obstacle might be cutting a round hole for a speaker.

Regarding rock/metal BW this is the fact of reality I am no saying that while meaning that some genre of music inferior for listening. But while asking a speakers for specific genre that is very important to realize that kind of question has no real engineering background at all.

Good female vocal, Nicola Amati violin or pipe organ that what is damn hard to reproduce naturally from a recording that is why classical music no popular nowadays since only HiEnd setups can handle it well. Metal or rock any decent boom box will do. Last genres was of no existence prior to electronic gear actually because they coupled tight ;)

BTW in case you would build horns you can try out later on pentode strapped output tube SET without global feedback that might improve the way you rock/metal recordings sound.

hehe, it's happening to me too...:)

I saw it coming...keep in mind so far:

1 - Full range only...not so good idea right?
2 - Efficiency...keep an eye out for speakers with low efficiency (your amp may distort before the speakers can sound their best)
3 - As an intro project...dont buy anything built. Build the box...build the XO...just buy the speakers
4- keep your eyes open for paper woofer...possibly metal tweeter (titanium not so much aluminium)
5 - keep it cheap...you WILL want to build more
6 - Dont let yourself fall into the trap of trying to get the "best" speaker system for your money. This will be a never ending circle that we all fall into. Make a decision...and go for it. I guarantee you will love it.
7 - Absolutely build the cabinet to the best of your abilities. Bracing is ALWAYS better.
8 - Use plywood (baltic birch is the shizzle...)
9 - keep in mind that all speakers need a break in time...it will take a while to sound their best. DONT FREAKING GO ALL OUT ON VOLUME IN THE BEGINNING!!!!!!!!:D

heh...

shoot, one more...I think bass reflex is the way to go.

Last edited:
I saw it coming...keep in mind so far:

1 - Full range only...not so good idea right?

The easy & cheap project I mentioned before with the 25 cm Ciare CH 250 speaker should be really quite good and suitable, and pretty sensitive as well.

ciareCH250.jpg

ciareCH250_fg.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.