First DIY job: Dual Tube Recording Preamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I hadn't looked at your wiki till just now. Nice job.

Have a look at this MB-1 clone:
pultec2.jpg

It uses the 271X which only has the 115V primary (instead of the multi-voltage universal primary) and it is 280-0-280 (I think). The 369JX should work fine.

You must visit this place: http://www.prodigy-pro.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16013

Specifically:
http://www.prodigy-pro.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8400&highlight=mb1

This is one built by the Rafael Texiera, the inspiration for the one you referenced at your Wiki.

Thank you. I figured a
wiki would be better flow for readers, as well as make it easier for them to critique things or add other projects.

Looks like I found a source for all of my pultec knobs from your link! http://www.nrgrecording.de/html/pultec_knobs.html

Aha, so the same guy who hosts the original scanned design made one himself!

Great, I'll have something else to reference to now.

It uses the 271X which only has the 115V primary (instead of the multi-voltage universal primary) and it is 280-0-280 (I think).
:whazzat: Okay, it is using a different transformer, but I don't know what a multi-voltage universal primary is; does that mean the Triad R-4A works with any input voltage? I also don't know what the 280-0-280 represents. Time to whip out good 'ol wikipedia.

Edit:
I feel silly taking this job on and not understanding what this stuff means.
Time to buy
Tab Electronics Guide to Understanding Electricity and Electronics
and
Art of Electronics

280-0-280 refers to the secondary ....

280-0-280 is a way of saying 280 volts on each side of center tap of the secondary winding. O refers to the center tap. Universal-international refers to the primary.ie. two, 115v primary windings that can be wired in series for 230v in England or in parallel for 115v in the USA. Most of the newer transformers have the iniversal-international feature whereas the older Triad units have on ly one 115 v winding on the primary. Ray Hughes

Edit:
I feel silly taking this job on and not understanding what this stuff means.
Time to buy
Tab Electronics Guide to Understanding Electricity and Electronics
and
Art of Electronics

AOE is the bible.

Google for the PDF of the Radiotron Designer's Handbook. Morgan Jones's 'Valve Amplifiers' is also a good one.

You are pretty brave to start off with a tube amp as your first project. Way to go!

Without getting in the way of your learning process - let me recommend you have look at Cinemag and Edcor products for your transformer needs.

Thanks, I've used Jameco on all of my cables that I've made so far (I make all of my own cables, though I cannot find a supplier for the higher-end switchcraft plugs).

I've hit a snag in terms of funding, hopefully I'll be able to convince the
'rents that investing in this is investing in my education :smash:

Edit: Yay, sounds like I've found someone to buy the transformers :D

JPS said:
Which transformer type no. of EDCOR is suitable as input transformer for PULTAC MB1 preamp in place of UTC A-11 ?

thanks

"The UTC A-11 is a line to grid audio matching transformer with a 50 KOhm secondary and primary connections of 50, 200 and 500 ohms."

UTC A-11 information that I've gathered:
low-z to 1 or 2 grids
50, 200, 500 primary z
50k ct secondary z
mag shield yes
20-20k resp
52 pci-dcr
+3 max lev

Hopefully this will help someone else find the suitable equivalent, I don't know much about it though so I wouldn't know where to start. Sorry that I can't help you entirely JPS!

CMQEE-3440A from Cinemag should work for the input tx (and as a matter of fact, it was used in this MB-1 build: davoux's MB-1 .

CMMI-10 series should work too and has been used on at least one other MB-1 clone that I know of.

Cinemag's site

Nothing from Edcor will be suitable for the mic input (they don't have electrostatic or magnetic shielding) . Their 10K:600K output tx's will work for the output. They can custom wind a 15K:600K output tx for you too so it more closely mathces the original tx.

gibong said:
CMQEE-3440A from Cinemag should work for the input tx (and as a matter of fact, it was used in this MB-1 build: davoux's MB-1 .

CMMI-10 series should work too and has been used on at least one other MB-1 clone that I know of.

Cinemag's site

Nothing from Edcor will be suitable for the mic input (they don't have electrostatic or magnetic shielding) . Their 10K:600K output tx's will work for the output. They can custom wind a 15K:600K output tx for you too so it more closely mathces the original tx.

I just ordered my 15k:600k Edcors.

So you're saying that a CMQEE-3440A should be able to replace the UTC A-11?
Would it be better to buy that new over buying the UTC used?

Yes you can use ithe Cinemags to replace the A-11. I don't necessarily think it is "better" than the UTC. Use it if you can't find an A-11. If you are after the sound of the real MB-1, then you have to buy the original tx's because they contribute so much to the sound.

gibong said:

Cinemag's site

Correction, shouldn't this be 15k:600? Not 600k?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.