First DIY job: Dual Tube Recording Preamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Most - maybe all - professional microphones will not work outside of the 6k8 / 48V specification, specially when they do not have output transformers. These resistors are often considered as a part of the microphone circuit. I would not speculate anything else.

lohk said:
Most - maybe all - professional microphones will not work outside of the 6k8 / 48V specification, specially when they do not have output transformers. These resistors are often considered as a part of the microphone circuit. I would not speculate anything else.

Speculations aside ;), in addition to the case of mics with no DC converter for capsule bias I mentioned before, anything other than 48/6.8K won't work properly with mics based on so called "Schoeps circuit", where as you rightly notice, the 6.8K resistors are the part of the circuit.

Most of other mics should be fine with 24V/3.4K as in any case their internal voltage drops to 9-12V.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.