finally, the Satori coaxial is now here

I have the previous generation R series 5" mid/tweeter which is good but a bit small. The SEAS is a better size but costs £450 compared to £150 for the KEF. The on-axis performance of the KEF is better but this is relatively unimportant if the off-axis performance is good. The standard range SEAS mid/tweeter is over £200 and seems to be roughly equivalent to the early generation KEF coaxials. I think SEAS may have been paying royalties to KEF for a while? The budget SB Acoustics 6" coaxial is £46 but is now going to made available to OEMs only with a MOQ of 200. Increasingly looks like we are being trained to accept inflated "DIY prices" for drivers.

Reactions: 1 user
Last edited:
1689215012688.png
For comparison

Reactions: 1 user
Just to remember - the MWBSOAT - Party is NOT over!

It has only just begun!

Little pause for re-orientation then new strategies will appear on the scene which you can prove for validity .... in the meantime , regarding intelligent strategies , long time ago I've read often books written by american author Jack Vance , here is one one of them : https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Showboat_World

Not so much typical SF or Fantasy genre but somewhere down the magical road into something that wait's for us anywhere!

kind regards - The Rotten Five , Six or Seven! (dome midrange and ribbon tweeters are still in the ballpark)

speakers without waveguides needs larger rooms(vertical!) and shorter listening distances plus proper EQ !!

medium sized coaxials are the best compromise! (cone acts as waveguide)
Speakers without waveguides always suffer from worse directivity.
Pretty much all of them have a jump in the directivity (shown in the response from Technics above).

Unless you focus on a much wider directivity. Which will create more in room reflections.

Pretty much all of them have a jump in the directivity (shown in the response from Technics above).
It can be argued the KEFs also have a directivity jump at 2500 Hz. Basically, typical cone-and-dome speaker needs to somehow make a transition from 0 db DI at 100-200 Hz to a 8-10 dB DI at 10-15 kHz, and it's not obvious for me what is perceptually better: a straight line rising from 1-1.5 to 15 kHz? constant DI of 5 up to 5-7 kHz, then rising due to inherent piston directivity of HF dome?
IMO, Technics solution, while improvable, represent a valid terget, not necessary worse than more narrow directivity of waveguiding cone coaxial.

What is often not understood, even by major manufacturers, that even a flat baffle in conjunction with the cabinet is a waveguide, as discussed, for example, here:
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/loudspeaker-enclosures-are-waveguides.363630/

then rising due to inherent piston directivity of HF dome?
This problem is described very well in John Borwick's loudspeaker and headphone handbook. (don't know the page, I am on holiday atm, I posted somewhere else on this forum at some point)

A good baffle certainly helps, but it's basically inherent to how a dome tweeters work. A well designed waveguide with the right crossover fixes that big dip entirely. Dutch and Dutch does this very well as an example.

A coax will always be a difficult compromise. You need a OB shape waveguide for nice constant directivity. Which is not the best shape for a good rigit cone. I also doubt if you can get a good high-end without a kinda waveguide structure KEF made.
Or you have to make the cone more flat like technics did, which isn't great for the directivity and often the breakup can be a bit tricky to work with.

This all to only tackle the vertical directivity.