Finally, I've tried S&B TX102 TVC with a GC amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Evolution.

As you see Peter, ultra minimalist may not always be the way to go.
I'm very happy with the sound of my pre (OPA627+BUF634) working with my GC power amp (LM3875).

It's the best combination I've tried so far, and the first one I made.:D
And I tried several chips and implementations.

Some people reported very good results with an op-amp as a buffer, or even a valve.
I tried op-amp as a buffer and liked the results.

You now tried transformers and say it's very good.

This is evolution.:D

Deam it, your boxes are s'beautiful.:bawling:
Come around, I need help with the boxes.:p

Hello, I would like try transformers within passive "preamp", but the one mentioned here are out of the league (pricewise). I have found in my junk bin two mini transformers made by Tamura ( MIT-17). I think, those are impedance matching ones. Primary is 15kOhms, secondary is 600Ohms with CT. The only problem is their bandwith: 300Hz - 100kHz. Can those transformers be used in passive "preamp"?
Thanks

Tomek said:
Hello, I would like try transformers within passive "preamp", but the one mentioned here are out of the league (pricewise). I have found in my junk bin two mini transformers made by Tamura ( MIT-17). I think, those are impedance matching ones. Primary is 15kOhms, secondary is 600Ohms with CT. The only problem is their bandwith: 300Hz - 100kHz. Can those transformers be used in passive "preamp"?
Thanks

Remember they'll have a loss of 5x. You might be able to improve the bottom end by driving them with a low source impedance. If you have them try them anyway, as their spec might be for full power, and at lower levels they have a better response.

Tomek said:
Thanks

A more basic issue is they have to be made to be a TVC. A transformer for a TVC should have maybe 20 or more taps. Each tap ends up going to a switch. Selecting a different tap gives you a different volume. Since you talk about CT, it does not sound like the right kind of transformer.

BTW, I think TVC transformers are expensive because they are probably a lot of work, making all those taps.

Companies that make the right transformers, that I know of are S&B, sold through Bent audio over here, Audio Consulting, sold through referenceaudiomods and sowther (sp?), who does not have a US distributor that I know of.

I once saw a review when someone compared different TVC's, I will see if I can figure out where I saw it.

Randy

randytsuch said:

A more basic issue is they have to be made to be a TVC. A transformer for a TVC should have maybe 20 or more taps. Each tap ends up going to a switch. Selecting a different tap gives you a different volume. Since you talk about CT, it does not sound like the right kind of transformer.

They're definitely not TVC's.

JCoffey said:
Is it just a step att. connected to all the different leads of the transformers?

No. The transformer has a number of different windings and taps that are then connected to a switch. The turns ratio of the taps means that when different taps are selected via the switch there's a known amount of attenuation.

The schematics Randy linked to should make it clear.

JCoffey said:
Thats pretty much what I figured after looking at the schematics. But,where you you get the switch? Does it come with the transformers or is there a special one that I'd need?

The switches usually sell seperately, but I beleive Bent offers some packages with them included. If rolling your own, any 24way 2 pole quality switch will do; Elma, Seiden, Shallco etc

Brett said:

The switches usually sell seperately, but I beleive Bent offers some packages with them included. If rolling your own, any 24way 2 pole quality switch will do; Elma, Seiden, Shallco etc

Bent sells the Seiden switches, which look really nice, but are not cheap. I was going kind of low budget, and used electroswitches. If I every redo my preamp all out, I would probably use the Seidens.

I actually used a 3 pole switch, and used the middle switch as a shield, with grounded copper tape all around the middle switch. The Seidens are shielded already, so you don't need the DIY shield if you use those.

Randy

Peter Daniel said:
Of course the current version has still some rough edges...

I addressed most of the weak spots of previous design and here how the improved preamp looks. This is by no means a commercial version, but something I built yesterday for myself.;)

Three layers of acrylic are used here and no more gold plated hardware, but polished brass: looks much better this way. I also added 0.5" to the width and this improved final appearance.

Attachments

• pre1.jpg
    pre1.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 1,010
That's too much. I have to say that it looks better than 99.9% of any diy projects, or any commercial products. Actually, I can't think of something that really looks this good. A work of art I say!.

So your wife is tolerant of all this? Where do I find one of these? (j/k my gf is actually VERY tolerant of my hobbies, so long as 100% of the money and time doesn't go towards them - i.e. so long as i don't ignore her .. she even attentively listens to me ramble on about diy for a long while before starting to get a little bored! a real keeper!)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.