Finally, I've tried S&B TX102 TVC with a GC amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just an FYI for people - John at Bent Audio is moving from Seiden to Shallco for his volume controls.

With the dollar crash, the Japanese controls got too expensive and he likes the Shallcos too. He is modifying the spring action so they are easier to turn.

I'll be ordering the Shallcos for my TVC preamp.

Bill

Hi,

I've also been fortunate enough to aquire a passive linestage using the s&b tvc's. My previous passive was a l-pad shunt attenuator with precision 0.1% resistors. The s&b is streets ahead in performance, and other than overall cost, I can't find a single sonic area where the resistive attenuator wins. Overall perhaps a 25% improvement in sound qulaity and listening experience right thru the audio band.

Thanks
Raja

hi Pan,

The shunt attenuator is 10k impedence the resistors used were welwyn rc55y's, my power amp has a 47k input impedence and a gain of around 21db, and I was using a slightly modified pioneer pd-s801 for cd source. The difference is great, especially at lower volume levels......

I'll soon have my favoured output stage fitted to the above cd player which has a z-out of around 100ohms.
I've also tried my wna buffer after the attenuator, it can drive down to about 10ohms, and runs in class a and has a 47k input impedence. It does offer some advantages over the standalone resistive attenuator setup, but cannot match the sound quality of the tvc on it's own..

Thanks
Raja

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.