Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

Erik van Voorst said:
...a couple of days ago I made (with my friend ofcourse) a kind of weight compensation for the laser transport to solve the resonance and the free-friction on it...

Remarkable how it influences the sound for the better....by increasing the weigt you are able to "voice" ...it speaks for itself that this will continue as my final tweak....however I could not resist to build a more versatile crane for the final enclosure...:D

The foto shows a contraption made out of brass wire and a part from my miniature boating articles...quickly made to good use to give it a try...

The idea comes from Cees Pel (years ago) a very good friend of Wilco (VOID) who explained the boombox laser theory.

They have a 5 year further development of the Shigaraki on their resume..:cool:

Following Erik's findings I thought I'd try a similar idea by simply angling the transport by some degree, (15 deg)..
Early construction shot ready for testing.

Attachments

• slope4.jpg
    slope4.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 1,945
What a nice album

Erik van Voorst said:
Just to do every once in a while a reality check...Anton took the time to modify a Wadia 23 (on request) with a Trichord 4 (same as the PitBull) and a ALWSR reg (same as the PitBull) and made a proper supply...

Besides the fact that this Wadia 23 "oldtimer" immediately made lovely music and ranked itself between the better transports it was simply no match for the PiTBull ...no hype just a more analog transport with more resolution better bass etc etc...:cool:

For comparison I played Bach Lute Music with J. Lindberg
(my favorite Lutist for Bach...and I got a lot of lutists recordings)

He is present in your living and the complete lute-timbre is captured...

Hiii Erik

Until you last reported for lovely music, i miss one of your step

What is your resistor for series and what value?
What is your resistor for ground and what value?

Regards, Jeffry

I do not use that RCA connection anymore (see previous mails)

I now play via AT&T connection which (in my set-up and my perception) is vastly superieur to SPDIF...

Mind you I have the luck that my Genesis Digital Lens (in front of my Audionote Dac) acccepts AT&T....so we took the connectorboard (with AT&T) out of my Wadia 22 and into my PiTbull

The difference is ....uhh...the word "authority" comes to mind so a sort of.....more of everything and not changing anything.....:spin:

AT&T also sometimes referred to as ST (Short Tip) is exactly as forementioned by Kevin.

Indeed a clear winner...I mounted it as mailed...

Yesterday we rigged the final supplies and electronically we have finished the PiTbull......I seriously think that there is not much more we can electronicwise do to make it sound better....

For me in my set-up a lovely result....(understatement)

I will now start to concentrate on building a dedicated stand with the supply and transport as a drillplatform....a bit like a Goldmund reference turntable comes to my mind....:D

Attachments

• rig1.jpg
    rig1.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 1,499