Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

Sounds like a happy puck-ending for us.... :grouphug:

I can hardly wait to get my hands on it as well......it should be in the mail next week... :Present:

At the moment I am quite busy listening to music and really enjoying the level it has reached...at this stage I am convinced that the more electronics the more analog (for me in my set-up) it has become, actually quite un-expected and leaving the vision of Junji Kimura (or mixing it with Dominique Ginel if you like)...

The next changes will be monitored like you would not believe since I want to stick to this "particular" sound.... :magnify:

I have removed C902 and made a 5v regulator. When I connect to the collector of the C902 and the - leg of the nearest cap, the meter is teling me that the 5v has dropped to around 80ma ?

Anyone got any ideas ?

Is it neccessary to add the wire link under the board if carrying out this mod ?

Audio1st. Yes, sorry Q902. I have connected to the middle of the three pads (collector) and the other to the - side of the cap (as suggested by Peter Daniel-I think)

Can you confirm which pad is referred to at 5b? as this appears to to be (from the photo) where the Q902 pads are located. What does the link between 5a and 5b do ?

If I connect to 5a & 5b is it + 5a and - to 5b?

Have you any ideas about why the voltage is getting "sucked" down so much ?

HI Puffin, if you have connected to the middle of the three pads of Q902 you will not need to connect to 5a or 5b.. They are just alternative locations..
I would think the problem must be that your power supply isn't up to it, is it the flea?
The other point discussed here is that the 8V and the 5V must power up simultaneously.
Someone who has already done this mod may need to help you..

Audio1st. Yes, it is the "modded" flea, which adds another transistor to give it more power. However it may still not be up to the job.

Someone else suggested that Q902 may have some other operations in conjunction with the voltage regulator?

I have some PFM Superregs to build, so I hope that they may be more suited to the job.

Thanks for your interest.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
audio1st said:
HI Puffin, if you have connected to the middle of the three pads of Q902 you will not need to connect to 5a or 5b.. They are just alternative locations..
I would think the problem must be that your power supply isn't up to it, is it the flea?
The other point discussed here is that the 8V and the 5V must power up simultaneously.
Someone who has already done this mod may need to help you..

I noted that the Shig draws about 210ma from the single 8v supply when running (post #1517). Once separated it appears that the the 8v supply will only have to run the motors. Once we have separate supplies, both 8v and 5v, it will be easy to measure the current requirements of the 5v supply. I'm trying to build and 5v supply right now and I'm going to make sure it can deliver atleast 200ma.

Regards,
Dan

Today I installed a Tent Clock in my clone that I had lying around from my discontinued cd-pro2 project.

Although I`m getting more space, and better defined PRaT, some very wierd things are happening here...

My midbass has totaly vanished, the whole sound is very much layed down in layers. The midbass that normaly got me some "growl" is gone. Its clean and all, but I`m pretty sure I had better defined, tonefull bass that is completely absent now :bawling:

The imaging is very different now also. I cant really say if its less deep, but there is more blur whists being more relaxed.

I kinda had the same when installing the clock into my cd-pro2, but at that time it seemed as an upgrade; now its a downgrade for sure.

There isnt all bad news though, it seems like the clock gives better slam, a little more space and more relaxed air. The only drawback of these things is that it makes my clone sound much much more like hifi, where as otherwise I was wondering how just natural everything was presented.
Now being more relaxed in presentation, it seems artificial. Its all very contradicting, but so obvious once you hear it.

Some people have reports of great gains with a new clock what are your findings? I can`t imagine anyone not hearing this drawback in middbass, and the pastell-like presentation that reminds me of not so great hifi. Perhaps the Trichord is a different beast...

I`m not to burn Guido`s clock down, but in my setup there is just so much missing now, I had to report it. Guido is obvious a great guy...
Guess I`m a bit dissapointed by the results.

Should anyone have a spare oscilator laying around as the one Peter Daniel used; I`d be happy to buy it from you as this tentclock thingy isnt working in my setup... :(

Well, that's exactly what I experienced and what Romy writes so colorfuly about on his site: http://www.goodsoundclub.com/Forums/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2171

Anyhow, coupled days back I put the Audiocom’s Superclock into the TL0. The rational was reasonable: since my DAC has no own clock then putting better clock into the transport would presumably improve the entire digital chain. Well it was a purely intellectual rational that had no relation to anything else besides juts an abstract logic….. In realty, the Superclock completely killed Sound. Ironically the Sound did become “better” but this “betterness” was only in scale of the Kyle’s reference points. The system gained “resolution”, the resolution that Kyle’s people love to mention; but was it really resolution or it was some kind of surrogate that fulfilled the barbaric expectation of the typical audio-Morons ™?

The Superclock’s effect has nothing to do with resolution. The Superclock made the different sounds separated from Music converting Sound into a back of a porcupine. Interesting, that my attention, listening the Superclocked TL0, did not listen Music but juts jumped form a Sound to a Sound, form pitch to pitch, scanning the differences, impressed by the boosted irrelevant effectiveness, without associating the tones but with purpose of musical reasons of the musical program. It was some kind of listening of Music Lite ™… or the very same audible crap that you will be able to listen in 99.9999% of those audiophile’s listing rooms.

Also, the Superclock completely screwed up bass. I was very surprised, as everyone with whom I spoke was absolutely thrilled with the bass results they were able to get out of the Superclock. However those people, all of them, are wrong. Superclock does jack up midbass and make it very nice and softer. So, what? The region around 40-150Hz suddenly become too prominent and the lower bass got completely lost and masked out. The midbass prominence made music too heavy and too weighty, very unbalanced. I understand why the Morons ™ out there find this effect very positive. Thy listen their speakers with undeveloped mid-bass channels (99% of them)

http://www.goodsoundclub.com/TreeItem.aspx?PostID=1414

and when this Superclock suddenly pushes out a huge amount of fictitious upper bass then they go crazy. I am sure if I would use the back-loaded speakers than I would lover more and better upper bass. Probably they would love to have an EQ and well, they would also love that my Superclock prevent their MF drivers do not produce 90% distortions in upper bass region….

It is was not enough I would tell you, the Superclock sound has a “double ping” imaging that most of the Morons consider as “space”. It is very minute and infinitesimal but it is VERY annoying. I could go on trashing the sound that I got from the Superclock but what would be the point? I put the default oscillator back to TL0 and it was like a return home after many year of journey…

So, what the digital experts-tweakers are saying? As far as I concern their opinions and their expertise worth … and in fact is…. juts a jitter of audio practice.

Guido's clock and dedicated PSU worked GREAT for me in my Wadia and also in my Audionote dac 3. ;)

I have still a Guido clock and PSU lying around but must admit that I did not use it yet in my Pitbull...so I cannot comment..

Since the Trichord worked miracles for me it probably is a happy marriage in my set-up....for me it does not affect that beautiful analog .:Pawprint: and I do not have the drive to exchange
for experimental reasons...since I am nearly 24/7 busy with the piTbull's other "shortcomings".

To put things into perspective again..I think somebody else on this forum (a polish friend) used the Guido Tent clock/psu
in his Shigaclone and is very satisfied...so in the end it all depends on taste and set-up etc. etc...

Advice: Implement something and listen....
....since it all comes down to that same old story...:geezer:

It`s all a matter of taste ofcourse Erik. And implementation will probably have a lot to do with it also.

I did try the clock with a separate psu, and got more or less the same results.
As for the midbass that has vanished, I wonder if anyone got that fixed... I know I can`t live without it. Perhaps a small tradeoff for some, to gain resolution and space.

;)

I’ve just tried (in non-blind test :), extensive test with independent pair of ears planned for this weekend) both quartz and external clock setup.
My observations: clocked version in better in: overall resolution resulting in better 3D, sources’ localization, presence and indirect sound. Cristal-based setup provides warmer midrange, which might be considered as better musicality, but with grained highs and a bit boomy bass, which with clocked setup seems to be shorter and better controlled with similar deepness.
Looks like clocked clone is more transparent and ads less to the original signal. Since at this stage of development :) I use my backup ss amp, with my basic AN tubies a bit clinical sounding will get some humanity touch in midrange.
If somebody reports better sounding with cristal than with clock, I’d advise to try 5/8V separation. Having several months of experiences with this funny transport I can say that that’s a key.
My current clone is supplied with two separate 5/8V PSUs with separate regulators and trafos, with limited tuning as for caps at PCB. It eats easily all four previous versions with single PSU and different caps variants.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
brgds said:
Ive just tried (in non-blind test :), extensive test with independent pair of ears planned for this weekend) both quartz and external clock setup.
My observations: clocked version in better in: overall resolution resulting in better 3D, sources localization, presence and indirect sound. Cristal-based setup provides warmer midrange, which might be considered as better musicality, but with grained highs and a bit boomy bass, which with clocked setup seems to be shorter and better controlled with similar deepness.
Looks like clocked clone is more transparent and ads less to the original signal. Since at this stage of development :) I use my backup ss amp, with my basic AN tubies a bit clinical sounding will get some humanity touch in midrange.
If somebody reports better sounding with cristal than with clock, Id advise to try 5/8V separation. Having several months of experiences with this funny transport I can say that thats a key.
My current clone is supplied with two separate 5/8V PSUs with separate regulators and trafos, with limited tuning as for caps at PCB. It eats easily all four previous versions with single PSU and different caps variants.

Andy,

Can you clear up some of the confusion, for some of us, about the correct way to connect the 5v supply? If i am correct you:

- remove the jumper 5A to 5B as pictured in post #17

- leave Q902 in place but cut the trace going from the collector to the +ve side of C916. See pic in post #1601

- feed the +5v to the +ve leg of C916.

Regards,
Dan

dantwomey said:

Andy,

Can you clear up some of the confusion, for some of us, about the correct way to connect the 5v supply? If i am correct you:

- remove the jumper 5A to 5B as pictured in post #17

- leave Q902 in place but cut the trace going from the collector to the +ve side of C916. See pic in post #1601

- feed the +5v to the +ve leg of C916.

Regards,
Dan

Dan,
what I've done: removed Q902, cut 5V track somewhere close to C954 and put LT1086CT5 directly to PCB in the C942 place, additionally connected C942 ground with main ground of 8V input.
brgds.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
brgds said:

Dan,
what I've done: removed Q902, cut 5V track somewhere close to C954 and put LT1086CT5 directly to PCB in the C942 place, additionally connected C942 ground with main ground of 8V input.
brgds.

The purpose of of cutting a trace for C954 puzzles me. Please refer to the accompanying schematic.

Regards,
Dan

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Regards,
Dan