Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

.................and playing...

First impression a bit more air but I will experiment further...

Attachments

• inplace.jpg
    inplace.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 1,426
Hi Erik

I am very impressed about all your work.

But is it really worth that big effort?

For me, the situation happened, that I just finished my Shigaclone before beeing aware that the CD player is 100% obsolete for me soon!

Why?

Because reproduction quality from accurately ripped CD's to harddisk (no compression), played by LAN or WLAN with a Squeezebox, SPDIF out to my DAC, is as good as reproduction direct from the CD.

No difference, but better.

Why? Every mess with the transport is gone. Error correction is happening during ripping.

And disks (or small NAS diskservers) are cheap today. And a 500GB backup disk is available for the price of 4 CD's.

Actually I am in progress to rip all my CD's and put them in a big box for the cellar or future flea market sales.

But my Shigaclone will have it's place for the next few years in my setup. Maybe just to demonstrate the (non existing) difference in playback.

Kind regards
Franz

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hey Erik,
I'm quite impressed with your latest round of experimentation. Funny that I am actually in the process of getting ready to build a new chassis for one of my mechanisms - it was one of many justifications I came up with for buying a bonafide mini-milling machine. (Seig X2 type machine from Harbor Freight.) So I was pleased to see your efforts in the same direction.

My plans involve slight thicker material with reliefs cut into the material for the motors to maintain the correct height for the platter and gear train.

This particular mod is on the slow track. I plan to do that next winter probably.

I bought a platter/clamp assembly from Roy recently and it arrived at my Post Office yesterday - will pick up Friday morning.

My mechanism is mounted directly to my mass loaded chassis plate by 1.3 cm threaded stand offs and the so the motors are grounded through the chassis plate. Mechanically speaking the mechanism is pretty tightly coupled to the chassis too - no isolation.

Mine continues to get better with use, and almost everyone who has heard my current shigaclone/dac combo comments on just how good it sounds compared to just about anything they have ever heard. A friend who is avowedly anti-digital commented on how very undigital the music sounded, how it just flowed, and some other surprising things I've never heard him say. (like this is very good... :) ) I'm pleased to say the least.

Erik van Voorst said:
Mounted by a tight fitting (making a cut and pressing it together...)

For the photo and my experimenting I used my "dummy" motors
;)

Hello Erik

Thanks so far for the show. It won´t be any surprise if you try some belt drive... Nice webpage that yours too.

Did you use a vise or bench press for fitting?

Is the copper tube of a stock diameter?

Thanks and don´t stop

kanifee said:
ok ive just done a test there and analogue audio is fine so does this mean that it can only be the spdif out or is there still a chance of muffed something else on the underside?

kanifee -
The digital out appears to come direct from pin 29 of the DSP chip. If you're getting analogue out OK then both chips must be working , so it's hard to see what could be wrong. If it's not the dac then that just leaves the digital interconnect!?
John

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Franz Gysi said:
Hi Erik

I am very impressed about all your work.

But is it really worth that big effort?

For me, the situation happened, that I just finished my Shigaclone before beeing aware that the CD player is 100% obsolete for me soon!

Why?

Because reproduction quality from accurately ripped CD's to harddisk (no compression), played by LAN or WLAN with a Squeezebox, SPDIF out to my DAC, is as good as reproduction direct from the CD.

No difference, but better.

Why? Every mess with the transport is gone. Error correction is happening during ripping.

And disks (or small NAS diskservers) are cheap today. And a 500GB backup disk is available for the price of 4 CD's.

Actually I am in progress to rip all my CD's and put them in a big box for the cellar or future flea market sales.

But my Shigaclone will have it's place for the next few years in my setup. Maybe just to demonstrate the (non existing) difference in playback.

Kind regards
Franz

Hi Franz,
Technically you are dead right, and that is why 3 summers ago I built my media server which does everything well. In fact there is very little audible difference between it and the Shigaclone I built over the last few months.

I did the project for fun, (I'll also admit having a lot more control over the hardware design appeals to the hardware engineer in me) and despite having the good sounding and convenient media server I am using this thing a lot. (Really a lot actually, and I have a very good sacd player, tt, and tuner(s) to choose from.)

I use the Shigaclone because it is fun to handle the cd, pick out the next disk I am going to play - a time honored ritual that will probably die with us..

Listening sessions are much more convenient with the Shigaclone because it does not require me to rip cds before my guests and I listen to them, although they sound fine this way the dvd drive is quite noisy for critical listening..

In the final analysis there is a slight difference on the very best recorded material.. The Shigaclone creates a more believable acoustic space... I won't wax subjective but I do notice a certain ease for a lack of a better word that draws me into the music more - perhaps it is that the server is more distracting in some way.

Ok i have made a little progress, I now get my audigy 2 console to show there is an input on the cd digital in, it says there is a 16bit, stereo, 44100hz signal but still no sound and occasionaly it dissapears and says there is an unknown or invalid signal( what it says when nothing is connected.

It turned out to be the connect that was blocking the signal, the clamp for the wires had pierced the cable without me knowing!

JC Fardo said:

Hello Erik

Thanks so far for the show. It won´t be any surprise if you try some belt drive... Nice webpage that yours too.

Did you use a vise or bench press for fitting?

Is the copper tube of a stock diameter?

Thanks and don´t stop

The copper gas tube is not stock but approx. 1.5 mm wider so if you make a cut with approx 2-3 mm blade thickness then press a little bit until the cut closes again you have always a (clamping) tight fit..
The motor is 24.2 mm dia.

My listening outways my building by far.....
You see me progressing so quick because I have a 4-week holiday at the moment...

I listen approx. 3 hours a day...I have no television but in stead . 3000 cd's pop/jazz/classical....

:violin: :sing: