Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

Placed an order for the RCEZ31B in March; no luck because out of stock (they informed me eight weeks after payment). Placed an order elsewhere: it got lost in transportation. Placed another order: and yes, today it arrived!
YEAHAAHH! Let the games begin.
Thanks Peter for making all of this possible.

(and hoping the lost one will also turn up one of these days at my front-door)

Hello!

It "works": the disk is actually spinning (some wobbling though), and there is something coming out of the DAC (I am using Peter's DAC).

However, the sound is far from clear: I can figure out a structure in the sound, but that cannot be called music.

I did all the mods suggested in the .pdf of okapi, and plugged the "Dout" and "GND" to feed the DAC, but I have not used the 2 items of A2 and A1 (2 blue resistors BERN5501000 AND BERN5503010).

I also did the jumper 5A to 5B.

Am I missing something?

By the way, this is a very exciting project. I am having a ball, but circuits are my weakness.

Thanks!

Just for the record

According to Okapi´s mods.

Attachments

• 898349_1_cap3_4.jpg
    898349_1_cap3_4.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 1,919
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Pendergast said:
Hello!

It "works": the disk is actually spinning (some wobbling though), and there is something coming out of the DAC (I am using Peter's DAC).

However, the sound is far from clear: I can figure out a structure in the sound, but that cannot be called music.

I did all the mods suggested in the .pdf of okapi, and plugged the "Dout" and "GND" to feed the DAC, but I have not used the 2 items of A2 and A1 (2 blue resistors BERN5501000 AND BERN5503010).

I also did the jumper 5A to 5B.

Am I missing something?

By the way, this is a very exciting project. I am having a ball, but circuits are my weakness.

Thanks!

Are those two resistors you mention the ones used on Dout (spdif) - if so your dac may not like the nearly 5Vpp present on Dout. Use the resistors.

That was it!!!!

I guess I had a wrong version of Okapi's .pdf because it referred to Vishay's and Caddocks so I was confused...
But it is working now, and the sound is clear: music!

This is so exciting!!!!

Thank you so much for this project! Thank you all as well for the pictures and suggestions!

Woaw!

Little note on suspension.

I am using 1/4 - 20 oven bolts to attach the transport to a 3/4 inch plywood piece (russian birch) and use the green fluo rubber coming with the original set.

A 170 pound man falling from six inches cannot make it skip...

The plywood base of the transport is supported by three spikes. The chassis will be an aluminum cover, with a surrounding box in Jerusalem Gold stone, 1 inch thick, 6 inches high by 8 inches in width, and 10 inches in lenght. The power supply will be external.

The transport itseld should weight about 25 pounds minimum.

No need for springs I think...

Pendergast said:
Little note on suspension.

I am using 1/4 - 20 oven bolts to attach the transport to a 3/4 inch plywood piece (russian birch) and use the green fluo rubber coming with the original set.

A 170 pound man falling from six inches cannot make it skip...

The plywood base of the transport is supported by three spikes. The chassis will be an aluminum cover, with a surrounding box in Jerusalem Gold stone, 1 inch thick, 6 inches high by 8 inches in width, and 10 inches in lenght. The power supply will be external.

The transport itseld should weight about 25 pounds minimum.

No need for springs I think...

Can u post pictures? Thanks...