Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

Peter: I like the ML31.5 approach the best. A few questions:

1.) how tall are the springs with no load
2.) what is the outside diameter of the spring
3.) how tall are the springs with the load
4.) how much does the load weight?
5.) what is the shape of the wire: square, oval, round?

I think we can find these easily. Also, the socket caps should be easy to find as well.

I will calculate the resonant frequency of the above and then scale it to how much my metal frame will weigh and choose the spring based on this.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
luvdunhill said:

I think we can find these easily. Also, the socket caps should be easy to find as well.

I will calculate the resonant frequency of the above and then scale it to how much my metal frame will weigh and choose the spring based on this.

Good approach, but don't assume that this will get you all the way, I would recommend getting springs having characteristics that bracket the calculated value by a wide margin. What ends up working best may not be what you initially calculated. (For example how do you choose the optimum resonant frequency for the mechanism mass given other variables like what you have it placed on? And its resonances..)

luvdunhill said:

IIRC, the load (lead frame) is 5kg, the spring dia is 1". They are approx. 2" tall , the wire is round and they don't compress more than 0.1" under the load.

Peter Daniel said:

IIRC, the load (lead frame) is 5kg, the spring dia is 1". They are approx. 2" tall , the wire is round and they don't compress more than 0.1" under the load.

Could you please tell us what is the wire diameter. It´s also a helpful detail, if you don´t mind.

Assuming springs are made of "music" or harmonic wire, we are near to target.

Thanks a lot

Question for Peter:

Out of interest, have you considered doing - or have done - a comparison between your Shigaraki 'clone' running your NOS DAC, with your laptop/PC running lossless or WAV files into your USB NOS DAC.

I'd love to know which sounds best in your opinion. In theory, at least, the PC option should have the upper hand as (assuming one is using a decent 'bit perfect' ripper like EAC) you have already got the data to hand in a 'perfect' state. Whereas the transport has to read the disc/correct any errors etc in real-time. And even then we can never be sure if the result is bit-perfect or not.

I'm hoping to do something similar very soon when I have my USB-SPDIF converter finished. I'll then try running the same tracks from PC and Shiga-clone into my DPA DAC and see what happens...

Just a thought :)

shigaclone

Hi guys, need help -again ,accidentally i destroyed the pad for positive 8v in -position -old choke was removed-was using a drill to widen the hole but went too far thus stripped all pad!!
How do i go about fixing the problem.
Could direct connection to C902 work?
:bawling:

McMaster-Carr item #9657K101 $13.48 for 12+shipping

The spring is a suggestion. I'll be going to my local hardware store 1st.

Hooray! The mailman brought an EZ31 to my door this morning. Thanks, Leonard!

I plan to use a lighter platform for the mechanism than Peter's. I'm thinking I will use o-rings to "load" the compression springs.

Ed LaFontaine said:
McMaster-Carr item #9657K101 $13.48 for 12+shipping

The spring is a suggestion. I'll be going to my local hardware store 1st.

Hooray! The mailman brought an EZ31 to my door this morning. Thanks, Leonard!

I plan to use a lighter platform for the mechanism than Peter's. I'm thinking I will use o-rings to "load" the compression springs.

That one was top of my list too! I think you are channeling my thoughts through my motor pod plate!

I get around 3.6Hz resonance for the proposed platform I'll be using. I think keeping it under 4 Hz or so is reasonable, so for this spring a minimum mass would be 4.31kg.