Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

Great tread !

My JVC is on the way.
I am interested in i2s output, luvdunhill say:

luvdunhill said:

what about pins 33-36 on the LC78620

I am not very familiar with digital things, so can someone simply tell, how to connect TDA1543's BCK,WS and DATA to LC7862, if it is possible ?
In LC7862 datasheet is different pin "names" than in CS8412
I am thinking to avoid spdif and build transport and NOS DAC in one enclosure, maybe upgrade to TDA1541 later.

Franz Gysi,
do you still use your "Super Pro" DAC with Aikido output, or different configuration now ?

Zigis.

Hi Zigis

Unfortunately there is a LC78601 inside, no I2S out available.

I did experiment with "Super Pro" and Broskie Cathode follower (not Aikido), but for some reasons there was limited bandwith in higher frequencies.

Actually I use standard "Super Pro" and plan to attach transformers to the balanced outputs of the CS4398.

I cannot find the analog output level in the CS4398 datasheet, but I think a AIKIDO has to much gain to connect to a CS4398.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

BTW: the Super Pro is already a very fine DAC. Just replace 6 electrolytic caps by good bipolar caps and go on!

Regards
Franz

Peter Daniel said:
While the transport I'm presenting in this thread is not really a clone, it all started with me picking inside Shigaraki and posting some pics on audiostereo.pl forum.

The whole story can be read here: http://www.audiostereo.pl/forum_wpisy.html?temat=36475&p=1#k

Any good online polish to english translator? (SYSTRAN ?) There´s millions of hints about Shigaclone mechanical construction here that I would love to know by myself :( :(

Thanks

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Zigis said:
Great tread !

My JVC is on the way.
I am interested in i2s output, luvdunhill say:

I am not very familiar with digital things, so can someone simply tell, how to connect TDA1543's BCK,WS and DATA to LC7862, if it is possible ?
In LC7862 datasheet is different pin "names" than in CS8412
I am thinking to avoid spdif and build transport and NOS DAC in one enclosure, maybe upgrade to TDA1541 later.

Franz Gysi,
do you still use your "Super Pro" DAC with Aikido output, or different configuration now ?

Zigis.

The spdif output from this chipset is very high quality so it is not as big a loss as it seems. My RCEZ32 based Shigaclone easily matches my SCD-777ES as a transport for CD playback.

The Wolfson WM8804 is an excellent spdif receiver, and Twisted Pear Audio sells a receiver module using this chip for a very reasonable price - this will give you the I2S signals you want. They also have some Buffalo dacs protos available that take spdif directly and I suspect this would be an absolutely killer combo.

http://www.twistedpearaudio.com/news.aspx

Zigis said:

I also have NOS TDA1543 DAC available that takes SPDIF directly.
The DAC has been favourably reviewed on 6moons last year: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/audiozone5/system.html

and is available both in Premium and basic versions:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

For those who work on a transport suspention, here how it's done in Levinson ML31.5, which was inspiration to what I did in my transport:

Actually the Buffalo DAC protos seem to all be taken. There will be another board run soon from what I understand. I would guess that the first small run was to prove things out. There were the minor, but to be expected errors in the first run that are being corrected (labeling only issues).

I've been following this as that is my intent. I am going to replace my NAD S500 with a Shingaclone/Buffalo setup. My JVC is in Quebec now and will be coming in country next weekend via a co-worker who's mother lives north of the border. I will need to be patient for the second run of Buffalos as there was no cash in the toy account to make the first run happen.

On another note, I am intending to make a screw cd mount like the ones mentioned earlier. I know that those were made using a manual machine which is pretty labor intensive. I may be able to get some cranked out on our CNC if I talk nice to our machinist. If not, I will just make 1 for myself.

Dave

DaveM said:
Is there a way to get balanced output from your NOS Dac? I have been thinking of building one of those, but my system is balanced all the way through, so I am hoping to keep it that way.

Yes, it is possible and I've built one like that. But I don't have the boards for such version as I never found it appealing enough. Basically, you need to add circuit that reverses polarity of data with another DAC section:

The circuit I was using was based on that schematic:

Attachments

• data.jpg
    data.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 1,464
Yes Franz, Broskie Cathode follower, something like Aikido's second stage, I remember your tread about it, so I wonder you are finally chose opamp output.

I ask of i2s, because I try to build DAC before and spdif receiver simply not work:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=118879
maybe with 3 pins I had more luck :)

I am looking at "Super Pro" too.

Peter, where can I see your DAC's kits with prices ? In your website I see only chipamps.

Zigis.

Zigis

I did not read the entire thread about your DAC. But I could offer you a CS8412, when you want. Just drop me a mail and I desolder one of this for you (this was a board from a CC100 CD changer module, now waiting in my hobbybox):

so I wonder you are finally chose opamp output.

Finally? Nothing is finally, in my audio setup :D

Kind regards
Franz