Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

I m not talking about the big SSG series which is huge, but the SGM which to my knowledge is glass encapsulated silver mica. These are small

Tubes-Store.com

Yes, this is what I have as well. i got mine from Silver Mica SGM3 HI-END capacitror. 350V 10000pF 0,01uF 0.3% [CAPS] - $1.60 : USSR and Russian tubes and capacitors at low prices., Retail and Wholesale prices for your HI-FI DIY projects

It is big and even is advertised as silver-mica, is not, but thanks to encapsulation it is a reliable component.

Regards,
Tibi

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow I just went to order a shiga mini-kit and my jaw dropped a foot, 100usd more than a couple of days ago, well no shiga for me today. I know this is a unpredictable market and I guess next time I won't wait for payday. Lesson learned! I still really want one so it's back to saving for a few more months and hope!

Wow I just went to order a shiga mini-kit and my jaw dropped a foot, 100usd more than a couple of days ago, well no shiga for me today. I know this is a unpredictable market and I guess next time I won't wait for payday. Lesson learned! I still really want one so it's back to saving for a few more months and hope!

The minikit was upgraded to Shiga MKII and include cables as well.
The price on obsolete parts have been increased 4 times at my source. :(
On other hand, this kit will not last forever. Sourcing these parts is harder with every single day.

Regards,
Tibi

Last edited by a moderator:
Any idea at all how much time I might have?? I know it's hard to say with this type parts demand, but If it's really short I'd like to know so I can start negotiating with my wife. Sounds weird but that's being married and keeping things working well. Thanks!!
Steve
ps this is a really great project I know a lot of time and hard work has gone into it!!

Shigaclone chassis will be available with preorder exclusively trough vicol-audio webshop starting with 1st August. Price 225euro ex.VAT and shipping.
The chasis will be 8mm aluminum, top and bottom plastic and 3mm alubond over top.

Regards,
Tibi

This include the top, with laser cut stainless steel ?
looking forward for a chassis for my Shiga mark 2.

Thanks

Hi Tibi

One question: when transformer and cd drive are in the same box,
do you recommend a location for the transformer ? maybe to avoid electric interference with components, motor board...

Shiga MKII transformer is magnetic shielded.
Even so, the transformer must be as close to input power socket and as far as possible to main board and s/pdif output.
Thanks to Shiga MKII construction, the main board can be placed at a safe distance from main trafo.

Regards,
Tibi