Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

Your wish is my command....:djinn:

Today I made a 220 volt connection to my dedicated Neutron Reference Power Supply Box.

It is stacked in three levels enabling me to keep the wiring to an absolute minimum (very easy to hear the influence of long wires with this contraption)

The psu will come right under the clock so a couple of cm wire only to connect them....each will have its own copper dedicated surrounding ...so a very stable temperature and shielding of both.

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

Anyway today (probably) one of my final experiments with another Music Rail this time with plugs in the SPdif power supply.
Unfortunately long wire but at least it is silver/gold Mundorf and all temporarily....

I do not want to get into the Bybee hype but the thing works for me so I am kind of blessed... which is always nice just before christmas...:santa:

I have four of them in use in the PiTbull Reference...

My test cd is my recently bought Ben Webster....I am not at all into audiophile recordings (most of them are musically below sub zero) but you should give this one a try...I hardly measure I just put up cd after cd...wonderful...

index.php

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

index.php

Last edited:
Am very curious what the Vicol MK2 makes better compared to the Vicol MK1 version?

And there are certainly people in the measurement team who the Vicol MK2 (measuring technical) compared with the Boombox Shiga?
I'm very curious as to which of the 2 is technically better measurement, the Boombox Shiga vs Vicol Shiga MK2

I know the quality is more important than the measuring.
Somebody ask me this, and I didn’t know the answer, hence my question.

Regards,
Rudy

Today I got some time to go back and experiment a little with one of my shigas. This one is a simple enough version (based on the original JVC, not tibis board). Anyway, I had broken a wire from one of the switches for shuttle, so needed to solder it up. When I had it open and in the workshop I decided to add some damping to the mechanism. I added damping material all around the mechanism, the metal frame, the motors and a little on the exposed edges of the PCB where I could get at it.

The material I used is what we call "flashbond" - a heavy bitumen based tape, normally used for sealing flat roof problems.

71Rb8dnKCiL._SL1000_.jpg

I swear the shiga sounds smoother and warmer. So I went back to my "main" shiga.... and there it was - I had obviously done the mod before on it and forgot about it!!!

Feeling a bit foolish and happy at the same time with the improvement!!

Fran

Today I started the implementation of all my experiments of recent days....rebuilding my PiTbull Reference :deer:

The Dexa Neutron Reference Star with its dedicated PSU (Dexa) and netfilter with bybees and Music Rail were the first components into their new quarters...

As mentioned earlier the psu gets its dedicated copper compartment so the wiring is extreme short (coming up from the basement straight to the first floor :D) from psu to clock. ;)

index.php

index.php

Last edited:
Thanks Fran...;)

today I set myself a task to make the 5volt supply as short as possible with the ingredients I chose to cook this up for xmas....:santa2:
So I took it loose from the testboard....

You can easily see the benefits of the end result...but hey experimenting is a big compromise...but rewarding in the end..

index.php

Implemented for real in my PiTbull Reference..........

index.php

Last edited:
Thanks Fran...;)

today I set myself a task to make the 5volt supply as short as possible with the ingredients I chose to cook this up for xmas....:santa2:
So I took it loose from the testboard....

You can easily see the benefits of the end result...but hey experimenting is a big compromise...but rewarding in the end..

index.php

Implemented for real in my PiTbull Reference..........

index.php

What does the bybee do? Never seen it. A filter? What values L,C n'R?

Regards

Me and my wife (Aafje) are wishing everybody a couple of wonderful decemberdays and a lot of splendid 2014 days...

And hey wake up Shiga builders ..anyone outthere ....make 2014 your Shiga upgrade year..you can take this contraption up a few notches...only your wallet is the limit here...my personal view is that in the end you can even ditch your black pizza's for gold and silver....."how high will you go" with this fun hobby..:Present:.

index.php

Last edited:
Well technically speaking it is a far cry from the old bybee...but this sucker works (For Me) when I tried it under the "just because I can" reason.

I implemented it in all of my circuit...mind you it has a small voltage drop (Do Measure Here !!!!!) which will have effect on the voltage supply for the motors.
What is inside...do not know ...do not care....and did not care to open it up...I will leave that to the curious ones..

Soundwise...yeah...I like it...more air/ ambient...do not take my word for it...I do not want stupid discussions ...try it/or leave it....

Last edited: