Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

Very interesting Tibi.
We have been experimenting about this for a long time with manamanam...

Could you please provide some more detailed instructions on how to do this? What to cut and what to solder?

One thing to also consider for mark 2 is the design note 14 on page 9:

Pattern design notes
To prevent signal jump-in from CV
+ (pin 40) to RFSM (pin 41), a shielding line is necessary in between

Very interesting Tibi.
We have been experimenting about this for a long time with manamanam...

Could you please provide some more detailed instructions on how to do this? What to cut and what to solder?

One thing to also consider for mark 2 is the design note 14 on page 9:attern design notes
To prevent signal jump-in from CV+ (pin 40) to RFSM (pin 41), a shielding line is necessary in between

I know this, I already tested and will not bring any improvement. I tested this using a coaxial cable CV+ and CLV. No joy ... Also no shielding line is present on JVC .
More important is to have R46 - 100K as close as possible to pin 9 LC78601.

I'll modify another unit and come back with a detailed instruction note.

Regards,
Tibi

Last edited by a moderator:
How about a partial kit option for those that got the mounted-tested kit on the first GB?
The full MK2 kit is a bit of wasted money for us. We do not need trafo, psu, display and mecha. Just a new populated PCB.

Thanks again for your effort man :)

Have splitted the parts in the GB, so now you can subscribe only for a new populated pcb. Display is included, otherwise I can not fully test them.

Regards,
Tibi

Hi Tibi, Did you find beta testers?

I started to redesign the PCB and also few new improvements will be added.
I'll need three beta testers. Each beta tester will receive a free full kit ( all parts, not mounted) to extensively test, measure, compare and provide feedback.
Beta testers need to have a minimum measurement equipment (oscilloscope, DMM etc) and also a Shigaclone (modified or not) for direct comparison.
Good SMD soldering tools and skills are also required.
I also expect that beta testers to be very active on forum and later provide further forum support to GB users.
Pls send me an e-mail if you want to be a beta tester.
Regards,
Tibi

I built a shiga based on JVC RT-ST3. You can find the service manual of ST3 here: http://www.jvc.co.nz/assets/pdf-manual/RC-ST3SL.pdf
Inside of RT-ST3, you can find an a LC78622 chip as well. I have 50 W R-core trafo from selectronic.fr, and HFA80TB60 rectifiers. The rest of the power supply is based on Peter Daniel's single LM7808 version and 3 BG-s. I found also uncle-leon's homepage very useful. All of my findings is the very same like Leon's.

There is still lot of juice to squeeze fm LC78601. For the time been Shiga MKII will stuck to LC78601.
LC78622 add also more error correction. This may lead to more jitter ... will see, there are other options too.
Regards,
Tibi

I built a shiga based on JVC RT-ST3. You can find the service manual of ST3 here: http://www.jvc.co.nz/assets/pdf-manual/RC-ST3SL.pdf
Inside of RT-ST3, you can find an a LC78622 chip as well. I have 50 W R-core trafo from selectronic.fr, and HFA80TB60 rectifiers. The rest of the power supply is based on Peter Daniel's single LM7808 version and 3 BG-s. I found also uncle-leon's homepage very useful. All of my findings is the very same like Leon's.

LC78622 have better error correction than LC78601 and will not sound the same.
Are you interested to be a beta tester, or just commented ?

Regards,
Tibi

I would like to be a beta tester, but I do not fill all requirements.
I do have an oscilloscope, a DMM and also a modified Shigaclone. but not SMD soldering tools. I think I could solder or desolder a few SMD parts for testing, but not assemble the whole unit.

You need to be able to solder entire kit by yourself and report possible soldering issues to me.

Regards,
Tibi

Tibi, congratulations for your excelent project. Also nice to see you guys keeping this excelent topic still alive. It will be great to compare both versions (Tibi's clone project, and my shiga baseded on LC78622), but my smd skills are very limited. Is any difference in between LC78601 and LC78602? Cheers, János

LC78622 have better error correction than LC78601 and will not sound the same.
Are you interested to be a beta tester, or just commented ?
Regards,
Tibi

Tibi, congratulations for your excelent project. Also nice to see you guys keeping this excelent topic still alive. It will be great to compare both versions (Tibi's clone project, and my shiga baseded on LC78622), but my smd skills are very limited. Is any difference in between LC78601 and LC78602? Cheers, János

Thank you !

LC78601 is multiplexed matrix LCD display
LC78602 is multiplexed matrix LED display

Functionaly are the same, only display differ.
LED display, due higher current drivers, may degrade performance. How much ? I don't know.

LC78601 is my favorite due low error correction which lead to low jitter. On other side this push all problems in ASP requiring a very good LA9242 operation.

Regards,
Tibi